Biking With Your Husky

LightningStruck

Finally had a free minute to open a new post like I mentioned before. How many of you bike with your dogs? What age did you start? Do you use special equipment? Are they steps to training for this? Also, my biggest concern, if you stop for any reason, does your dog just keep going and yank you sideways? How do you prevent this? I know, lots of questions. Sorry! I am just really interested in doing this and I don't know where to begin or when for that matter. I would imagine you have to wait for a certain age. Thanks guys! Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not bike I use a scooter and only in the winter or if it is not warmer then 13 cel..and the age of the dog is also important I would wait until 15 to 18 months to go full running and pulling.

the way to start is using commands while you are on your walk left, right etc and the most important command is ofcourse stop and imo you can use and word for that as long as you are using the same word all the time....

the equipment people use for bikes no doubt another member will help you with that...but a good harness is one of the first thing you need to get...

I too use a scooter. In addition to what Rob has said, once you have a harness, you can start helping to build up their muscle by allowing them to pull something small like a car tyre. Start small and work your way up slowly.

Gary.

Do you guys mean a scooter like a motorized scooter (that seems strange to me, but might as well check and make sure) or a scooter that you basically ride like a skateboard, but it had handlebars? Sorry if those were lousy descriptions, but I am sure you know what I mean. Also, if your dog is pulling does it always go full blast speed or is there pulling without going at their top run? I would love to have them pull a sled or wagon-like cart for fun, but I don't know if it would be appropriate for children because of the speed as well as how to tell when they are adults what weight is appropriate and not too much. I obviously never want to over do anything that would make it even a little uncomfortable for them.

with a mountainbike you have 2 choices of equipment.

1. Bikejoring

2. Underseat attachment.

1. Bikejoring

this is an attachment which attatches to the front of the bike under the handlebars.

It has a guide to stop the lines from snagging on the tyres.

the lines go off and attatch to the dogs via an 'X'Back type harness.

2. Underseat Atachmnet

The two types of these are the "Walkydog" and the "Springer"

Both work in the same way. They attatch under the seat of the bike and have a spring mechanism which absords the "Tug" of the dog

This is attatched to the dog via a line again to an 'X'Back type harnes

As for the bike Disk brakes are a must, Shock absorbers too.

I looked up a dog scooter and see what you guys were probably referring too. That looks excellent. I guess it wouldn't be much exercise for me though, lol. Where did you get yours? And thanks, Andy. I looked up both kinds of systems so I could see what they look like. That definitely helps. I am going to try a few videos as well and see if that gives me some more insight. I'd love to "DIY" a scooter, but I am not sure I could finagle it quite right. I don't know how to weld. :( I kind if wish I could though, because I live by all dirt roads and having special tires for it would be fab as well as maybe two wheels on back instead of just one. If I ever get crafty enough, I will let everyone know.

Do you not have a kind of second hand thread anywhere in the states where people advertise the items that they no longer have use for. Over here on FB they have a thing called Mushers Exchange where you can get just about anything husky related. The only problem that I've found is that things go very quickly, in fact, at times, too quickly.

Gary.

I am a very strange duck and do not have a Facebook. I know, everyone just gasped out loud. I got divorced about two years ago and it was really messy and nasty (understatement of the century), so I shut my Facebook down because it caused too much added drama I wasn't ready to handle. I should probably start it back up for things like this. If anyone does know of something like this in my area, I'd love to hear about it. I will definitely start checking things like Craigslist too.

I run Jake on my regular bicycle. I can't afford all that fancy stuff although it looks very cool! It's a good idea to make sure you are comfortable and steady on a bike first. That way you can steer with one hand if you have to correct the dogs movement with the other. I have a leash in one hand and both hands on the handle bars. It took us a few times to get the hang of it and him not running off towards distractions. He does pretty well with staying right beside me and I feel comfortable going pretty fast with him now!

I have started letting him get a little ahead of me but still beside the front wheel and I let him pull me a little. I keep one hand ready to push the brakes if he pulls too fast. Once we get comfortable with that, I will put the harness on him and let him pull me some more and maybe even in the grass some. Right now it's mostly on pavement but I'm excited for what the future holds and he sure loves to pull! :)

I am not sure whether to wait until six months or so, but it seems about right. That will be winter here, so I think that when we start pull training it will probably be with an empty sled and move on to weighted long before we add any live beings to it. I have a pair of skis I have saved to start building my own.

I use a scooter as well. I purchased one of these about 6 months ago - http://kickbike.com/kickbike-scooters/cross-max-20

You can start light harness training from as young as 6 months, helping them out so they aren't pulling you just free running in harness. From about 9 months you can start easing them into a bit of pulling. From 12 months you can really get into it.

If using the scooter or going for the bikejouring method you will want to get a proper gangline - https://www.windchill.com.au/Ganglines.html (dont know an american based site sorry, will give you an idea of what you need though). The gangline juse wraps around the stem of the kickbike. No need for a guide or anything, just have to get used to keeping the line tight.

You will want to get a proper harness http://www.mushingsupplies.com/harness.html, I have only ever used the collared x-back style.

Command wise you want to start teaching gee(Go right), haw(Go left), on-by(keep running, dont get distracted), some form of stop. This is faily easy to do while out walking, just use the lead to help direct them where they need to go. A lot of dogs will ignore stop commands so good brakes are a must. The scooter I linked has dual disk brakes so is quite good, I have run a team of 3 dogs on it before which you would normally use a rig for.

yes you can but I would use a mountain bike and make sure that you dog(s) know all the commands esp. STOP...it is called bike joring...

IMO is a scooter just easier to get of if something is happening...

Good to know thanks! I agree a scooter would be easier to jump off of but I already have a mountain bike :)

I would just say have a system to keep your gang line out of your front wheel it is not always possible to keep the line tight...have the correct equipment for the dog and yourself (helmet, pads, gloves etc) as it is alot more painfull coming of a bike then scooter LOL...