Biking With Your Husky

LightningStruck

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live on 5 acres of land and could let my two huskies just pull me round and round and round to their hearts content!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you could indeed just make sure about temperature...

this is an example pic...post-6001-0-85517500-1404972724.jpg not mine I might add

• 2 weeks later...

Just answering with my own input per your questions off the first post :)

I bike with my dogs. I also scooter and sled.

What age did I start.. me or the dogs? Jokes, I know you mean the dogs but I was 19 when I started bikejoring and my best friend Link was 18 months at that time. Cloud and Yuki joined at 18 months as well.

Special equipment? I just use the alpine outfitters 'scooter noodle' but you can easily build something like Rob showed to keep the line out of the wheel.

Ganglines. I have a 2-dog line with a built-in bungee and a 4-dog line with an attached bungee for our runs. Make sure to have a bungee~

X-back Harnesses. I have custom fit nooksack x-back harnesses specifically designed for the dogs to use optimum pulling power.

Flat collars - I use flats when biking/sledding to attach necklines to. I grew tired of semi-slips as they gave extended length and the dogs would trip over the neckline. 

Steps to training? Just making sure they know their commands. You can do this on normal walks, or buy a bike attachment to keep them safely at the side of your bike while they learn.

I personally did the latter with Link, I put him on my Walky Dog and said 'gee' when I went right, 'haw', when I went left, etc, and then I just necklined my other dogs to him to train them.

Dog yanking sideways? Honestly that goes into training, start in a secluded area when you first start letting your dog up front with little other people/dogs, and NO traffic, but hopefully some distractions.

Every time they veer off, give the command you want. For me it's "gee over" to tell them 'get over to the right'. If they don't correct themselves, just show them what you want, and praise when they get it right.

To be honest most the time my pups stayed lined out and stay focused on the run and don't veer anywhere, but practice practice practice and they will eventually get those commands down no problem.

I agree with Megan.  Although I don't bike as often as she does, we do use the "Springer" attachment as well as the equipment from Alpine outfitters so the dogs can pull.  We use the same commands, and in an area with little or no traffic or distractions to train.