How Easily Accidents Happen :-(

Diablo

On Monday I came home from work to find Diablo with a nice big juicy dead rat in his mouth which he was flinging from side to side. He was very proud of his work and wanted to bring it inside. He wouldn't let me anywhere near it because he knew I would take it away so he kept running off with it.

It was freezing cold and he has gone completely mad. Next thing is came screeching through the front door as I was about to put my things down at about 100 husky miles an hour and had no time to stop and barreled right into my Yorkshire Terrier who was standing next to me. She started to scream blue murder and was limping with her back leg off the ground. I eventually calmed her down and tried to look but she would scream if I touched it at all. She is a complete drama queen at the best of times so we went to bed hoping that in the morning she would be fine but she was even worse.

So I took her to the vet. I have never known 2.7kgs of power as a yorkie in pain. I had to hold her other legs together and literally pin her down because she was in such pain when he was examining her. She even bit into my hand and held on panting her little heart out as if to try and stop herself from screaming. Broke my heart.

The vet said he could xray but regardless the treatment would be the same. the little bones in her toes are more than likely cracked from what he could feel and her foot is badly sprained in the joint. So he gave her a strong painkiller and a splint and sent her home with a weeks worth of pain pills. I have left her inside with my male yorkie and Diablo is outside so that he doesn't try and play with her and hurt her again. Because she is so little the splint is a bit too long but it is giving her support which is important.

in a week the splint will come off and she will be fine. it was a stupid accident but lesson learned. I must say she moves remarkably fast on 3 legs. Poor little baby :( and she really needs a bath but I can't get the plaster wet.

this is the patient :(

post-11581-0-74074900-1405001392_thumb.j

post-11581-0-70702800-1405001402_thumb.j

post-11581-0-36764400-1405001407_thumb.j

Poor girl I hope she's OK soon

We had a similar incident wiki blaze as a puppy think he was only around 8 1/2 weeks old and bings was playing with him bounced up and landed on blazes leg he screamed too bit my finger and chin A LOT and ended up on cage rest for a while to heal up , he healed up fine tho :-)

Well Ive started off by having them separate in the daytime. At night he sleeps outside most the night and if he is inside he has chosen the floor to sleep on. He's normally very respectful of the little ones but he just needs to learn to slow down a bit. Sure a bit more training and discipline on entering the house like a gentleman will help. Suggestions welcome as always!

As for miss Taylor she is much better. Still tender but moving around well and looking more cheerful! Still taking advantage of the attention though :redface1:

Sure a bit more training and discipline on entering the house like a gentleman will help. Suggestions welcome as always!

Maybe you should put up Stop signs at the door ;)

I don't think he'll be a gentleman if he's excited! But you will probably be able to teach him to sit before entering and then teach him a command for walking slowly or heel???

Good news! I took her splint off yesterday. It was just looking uncomfortable so I figured a day early would do no harm. Silly vet though. He used plaster straight over the hair so I had to sit and meticulously cut it off much to her horror. She is still on 3 legs (I have nicknamed her tripod :rofl:) but she has started putting weight on it and is now jumping up and down as she needs to. the bed remains a little high though.

Yesterday she saw a bird in the paddock and took off full speed and out ran Diablo and Trigger even on 3 legs so I think she will live! She is however still spending the day inside until she is properly healed up. Training started (very slowly) on how to enter the house like a gentleman not a bull in a china shop but we will get it right!