Stools And Food

Sashagirl

Hello everyone :) I have come to the conclusion that my sasha just doesn't want to have nice firm, easy to pick up stools....they are not "loose" but more like pretty soft and hard to pick up easily. When she goes, there's always a few soft drops after the the main stool... Hard to explain... I've tried her on 4 different foods now. She is clear of parasites. I'm thinking of just boiling rice once a week and adding a few tablespoons in with her food. (She only gets dry food btw). On a daily basis. Or a tad of canned pumpkin on a daily basis.

Any suggestions on which to use daily? Maybe until she's full grown...if her stool straightens out by then lol. And does anyone know of any reasons I shouldn't do this daily? She also goes to the bathroom 3 to 4 times a day. Pretty good amounts. More is going out than goes in! Thanks for any advise/ suggestions. Ps. I have told the vet and he doesn't seem to have any concerns unless she is having diareah or not gaining weight. She is almost 7 months old.

My moony was having a similar problem and it was liquid all the time coming out! Have you thought maybe it could be an allergy to wheat in food causing the problem? That was my pups problem and the vet didn't even come to that conclusion after id gone back and forth to the vet multiple times and they'd even had him on antibiotics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I did hear puppies "go" more often than adult dogs, but I can't really tell you how often they need to go. Boiled chicken and rice is an easy-to-digest food combo that aims to give the dog's digestive system a little rest. Pumpkin aims to firm up loose stools. So I'd vote for pumpkin

My suggestion is cut down the amount you're feeding her.

It could be that she's just getting a tad too much kibble and she can't process it in time before the next meal is coming through.

Yes add cold boiled rice, helps them feel fuller.

Also substitute a meal of kibble with raw chicken wings occasionally they REALLY firm up the stools.

Good luck.

Well, I've tried her on taste of the wild. So I don't think it is an allergy problem. Also, I'm feeding her a total of 2 cups a day of dry food. Every food we have tried says 3-4 cups for her age/size, well, she would be going non stop if I fed her that much... So, I really don't think cutting her back is a good idea for what her body needs. It's got me baffled as to why it's still happening. She's happy, growing full of energy... Just a little tough sometimes to clean up the stool ouside! Ugh.

Well, I've tried her on taste of the wild. So I don't think it is an allergy problem. Also, I'm feeding her a total of 2 cups a day of dry food. Every food we have tried says 3-4 cups for her age/size, well, she would be going non stop if I fed her that much... So, I really don't think cutting her back is a good idea for what her body needs. It's got me baffled as to why it's still happening. She's happy, growing full of energy... Just a little tough sometimes to clean up the stool ouside! Ugh.

Most of us feed our fully grown sibes around 2 cups per day so that is a fair amount for a 7 month old pup and could be part of the problem.  The feeding guidelines are just a rough guide, as some breeds eat more than others and sibes generally need to eat less food than most breeds so I  think it would be a god idea to cut back a little and see how you get on. 

Also, with regards to the poop itself (sorry, I'm being graphic now)  are the stools formed with clear definition but soft when you pick them up?  Puppy poop is notorious for being a bit squishier than adults, but if there's little to no form or shape to it, then that's going above and beyond the realms of normal puppy poop. 

I had the worst time with Nikko and Yukon poops.  It seemed they had runny poo more often than not until they were about 9-12 months old.  I always have a can of pumpkin on hand which seems to help firm it up.  Also, you may be feeding a little too much.  It is sooo hard to figure out how much is enough!  Just the smallest change can make it go from firm to runny! 

And like it was said, raw chicken wings works wonders!  The bones is what makes the poo firm, and they can eat raw bones as they don't splinter like cooked ones.

Hmmm, she's just ALWAYS hungry, I want to cut it back, but I want her to be getting enough food for proper growth. Her stool is formed, yes, it's just soft, like when I pick it up, it kinda smashes and is messy to get all of it. Then after she goes there's always 2 or 3 drops a foot away from where she went, like she walks away still going little bits and that is soft too.

Awww, tbh that does sound quite like a regular puppies poop. They do tend to get harder as they grow up naturally.

I'm guessing she's up to date with her worming treatments? If so, then she's probably a bit like my ice. He is permanently ravenous and would eat until he burst given the chance! That boy has no off switch where foods concerned, lol.

Well, if it's normal for puppy poo, then I won't go nuts over it. I'll just try adding some rice or pumpkin in small amounts. Yes, she went through the ringer with roundworms...finally rid of them. It's been about a month now that she's been clear. 3 stool samples were negative and she's on heartgard plus. They were giving her a med that wasn't working. For 2 months! Finally switched vets and one treatment of ivermectin did the trick!

Thanks Sashagirl for this post as I'm suffering with the same problem! -well not me of course, my dog is!! Ghost (9months) has been with us for 3 weeks when she arrived her poop was runny I figured it was nerves, we struggled to get her to eat much and her poop hardened, now she's eating 3 meals a day which equals in total of around 2 cups of kibble & a wet food pouch & now her poop is runny, lumpy & loads of it!!

I think I should cut down her food judging by the replies (but she enjoys it!! )

-I don't know about you but I get so jealous when I walk past another doggy owner and they have no trouble picking up their dogs poop when I need a shovel!!

-sorry for the graphic poop talk

I know what you mean. Sasha's used to be that runny, but she had worms at that time. Have you had a fecal exam done? You can just drop off a small amount 1/2 teaspoon to the vet and they will check it for parasites. I would probably cut out the wet pack all together and maybe add in a few teaspoons of boiled plain white rice with the dry food. I'm boiling some now :) you just got her? That can be the case also, but I doubt it would go on for 3 weeks. Do you have any pics of her? Congrats on your new pup!

Well, if it's normal for puppy poo, then I won't go nuts over it. I'll just try adding some rice or pumpkin in small amounts. Yes, she went through the ringer with roundworms...finally rid of them. It's been about a month now that she's been clear. 3 stool samples were negative and she's on heartgard plus. They were giving her a med that wasn't working. For 2 months! Finally switched vets and one treatment of ivermectin did the trick!

Oh wow, yeah worms can be really hard to shift and giving her meds that don't work for that amount of time wasn't exactly helpful. 

Yeah if you had come back saying the poop was sloppy or ill formed, strangely coloured etc.... then I would of wondered if maybe there was something going on but if it's looking normal but just a bit soft to pick up that's what all of mine have been like as pups and the general opinion on the internet seems to agree too.  well I say all of mine were but of course there's one exception and again it's my Ice!  lol.   I would of given anything for him just to do something with any texture at all.  he was pretty ill when he was little bless him.  Never did find out what caused it but we finally found a food that agreed with him (albeit a poor quality one but tbh at that point in time we were so desperate we just didn't care! lol).  Now he's fine and has been since around 1 year old. 

Thanks Sashagirl for this post as I'm suffering with the same problem! -well not me of course, my dog is!! Ghost (9months) has been with us for 3 weeks when she arrived her poop was runny I figured it was nerves, we struggled to get her to eat much and her poop hardened, now she's eating 3 meals a day which equals in total of around 2 cups of kibble & a wet food pouch & now her poop is runny, lumpy & loads of it!!

I think I should cut down her food judging by the replies (but she enjoys it!! )

-I don't know about you but I get so jealous when I walk past another doggy owner and they have no trouble picking up their dogs poop when I need a shovel!!

-sorry for the graphic poop talk

Yeah, change can be stressful initially to them and so runny poop isn't all that uncommon when they first come home but it should improve over time, particularly with a little help from a bland diet, such as plain boiled rice and boiled chicken.  And i'd also agree with cutting back on the food, as it does sound from your description like maybe overfeeding is playing a part in this.  Puppy poop can be soft but shouldn't be runny.  And don't apologise for the graphic poop talk.  Anyone who's ever suffered the ongoing agony of a baby with a runny butt will agree that you do get a little bit obsessed with descriptive words!  lol.  the first time my Ice ever did a solid looking poo, I took a photo and sent it to my husband!  He then saved it on his phone as "my picture" so that everytime I called him the poop would spring up on his phone and he knew it was me?!  Now that was a bit cheeky!   :rofl:   :rofl: