Constant Runs In My 2 Siberian Huskys Help!

Steven2898

Hello guys this is my first post to this forum i have 2 siberian husky puppys one is 12 weeks and the other is 9 weeks since i have had them both of them have had the runs and i brought one of them to the vets and was given pro kolin this only worked temporaly when it finished they got the runs again does anybody have any advice i would be grateful

How can I stop my huskies from smelling ? I bath the once a month but they still smell. They dig up our garden witch is all grass . Help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey there. What about creating your own thread so you could get more replies? :) anyways Huskies don't usually smell. Are you sure they didn't roll on some animal poo?

From this page, click "general health" at the very top of the page. You'd find it above the advertisement banner. Then, simply click "start new topic" on your right hand side :)

Sorry new to this site.

How do I creat a thread.

Also while you're letting us know how much kibble you're giving them per meal

Have they been wormed?

Most puppies come from the breeder with a belly full of the critters and these can cause the runs too until you've got the right medication and dewormed them.

However the most likely thing is simply that you are over feeding them.

Get back to us let us know :)

My Loki had terrible runs when he was that age. At first we thought it was the food or just being in a new home (stress) - we went to the vet and got them to check for all types of worms not just the common ones. Loki had already had  2 dewormings at that point. The test results stated he had GIARDIA (jar-dee-ah) This can make their tummies really upset when their immune system is weak (when they are puppies). Its a bugger to get rid of! It took a really harsh de-wormer, stool hardener and special gastric food to get him cleaned up ! If your pups do have this (which I hope they dont) it is contagious to other pets and people. The runs can be dangerous for young ones - it can cause dehydration and hemorrhoids- if they strain to poop too much- If you're at the vet get them to check the poop for that parasite. Many dogs have it as adults and it goes undetected because a healthy immune system can keep symptoms at bay. Its surprisingly common unfortunately ....

Good luck !   

First, take a stool sample from each dog to the vet and have it checked for parasites (worms).  If they have worms, the vet will provide a wormer, either in pill, powder, or liquid form.  Follow the directions.  A repeat in 21 days is also customary, so check with the vet on that as well.  If they don't have worms, that's a good thing.

Quit feeding them for one day.  No food, no treats, but let them have water.  We want their tummies to empty out.  If the wormer requires they eat, cut back on the amount of food, and once the wormer session is over, then start with no food for a day, then follow below.

Feed them a mixture of steamed rice and boiled skinless chicken.  About four heaping soup spoons full per meal.  Four meals per day.  Do this for two days, and check their stools.  If they firm up, then you are on the right track.

After two days of the above, take three heaping soup spoons full of chicken and rice, and one of their normal food.  Feed this for all four meals for each of the third and fourth days.

For the fifth and sixth days, two heaping soup spoons full of chicken and rice and two of their normal food.  Feed this for all four meals for each of the two days.

For the seventh and eighth days, one heaping soup spoon full of chicken and rice and three of their normal food.  Feed this for all four meals for each day. If all remains well with the stools, on the ninth day, feed only their normal food for each meal.

Keep in mind, the amount of food listed on a dog food bag or container, is most always way too much for a Husky.  Huskies do not require as much food as other breeds, and feeding them too much will cause them to have perpetual runny stools.  Since I'm in the US, we are not well-versed in the measurements of grams and how that relates to volume.  Here, we use cup measurements.  So, when a bag of dog food says to feed 3-3/4 cups per day, I cut the amount a little more than half, and that's what I feed for one day, and then further cut that into the number of meals.

More than likely, if your pups don't have worms, they are being overfed.  Chances are, if they do have worms, the worms are adding to the problem, and most likely they are still being overfed.  It is important to get their stool samples checked and either rule out that they have worms, or get the worm situation taken care of.  It is equally important to get their digestive system settled.  Withholding food for a day, and then starting up with rice and chicken for two days, will settle their digestive systems.  You also don't want to shock their digestive system, so the gradual ramping up to their normal food is in order.

Best of luck and Welcome to Husky-Owners.  Please keep us posted.  You may find another approach to your issue that works and that is fine.  The important thing is to get your pups to have normal stools and take the stress out of the situation as it exists currently.  Let us know.

We had the same problem when we  first got Khaleesi. She had HORRENDOUS worms, mostly threadworms and roundworm, I  hope you never have to clean one of those bad boys up! We had to worm her every two weeks for AGES!

The other reason is that Huskies don't need much food. Make sure that you feed them a good quality, grain free food, the best quality you can afford. I personally feed mine on raw as she vomits all the time when she is on kibble. She now does lovely little poos that don't smell,  unless she's raided the bin :(

I would suggest doing what everyone else has suggested with the rice, and then if you put them back onto kibble play around with the quantity, so keep dropping the portion size down until they are a bit more solid :)

good luck!