Roommate; Announced

mydiamond

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great! What part of Michigan is she from? My college experience was short and I lived in a townhouse at the time off campus, but we still ate like that, lol. Dorm life is a little different, but I only got a taste of that from friends and a boyfriend that were dormies. It was definitely a neat atmosphere though. It's like it's own little community.

Sent from my iPhone inbetween walking dogs!

You are going to love college. It's scary for about a day when you don't know anyone, but after that its just awesome. However long you are there, it's like you live in your own little universe. Current events unless they are major don't seem to even cross you, its your own little community. Make sure you join loads of clubs and meet people who have similar interests outside of your classes. My closest friends at Uni were in my martial art classes. Just remember, anything that happened in your past, it doesn't exist. You are to them who you are now when you meet them, it's so awesome, you can be whoever you want to be at Uni and no one will know you as anything else.

You are going to love college. It's scary for about a day when you don't know anyone, but after that its just awesome. However long you are there, it's like you live in your own little universe. Current events unless they are major don't seem to even cross you, its your own little community. Make sure you join loads of clubs and meet people who have similar interests outside of your classes. My closest friends at Uni were in my martial art classes. Just remember, anything that happened in your past, it doesn't exist. You are to them who you are now when you meet them, it's so awesome, you can be whoever you want to be at Uni and no one will know you as anything else.

Oh, god, don't tell her that;  our beloved Liv turned into the 21st century Hippy!!!

Edited by Al Jones

Am not turning into anything Al, relax! :lol:

So... here's update. My American roommate loves rescuing small animals, incredibly athletic, sounds energetic ("I'm so excited!") and... so far, very nice. Due to the time difference, I have yet to figure out what her sleeping habits are, but at least she's a good person. My Indonesian roommate has a Dalmatian and loves all dogs in general. She listens to music while going to sleep and uses night lights, two things that would keep me awake all night long. But that's okay, I'm a very adaptable, tolerant person. Plus, I still have that "get out of jail free" card. She sounds a little ditzy and clumsy, but again a good person in general. At least I'm off on the right foot.

sounds good, and at least they're both animal lovers! so that's always a plus :) maybe they'll end up being good friends :) wouldn't that be neat? the night light and music would drive me insane, though. take a fan and put it close to you, that's how I drown out noises.. helps a ton. and as for the lights.. gee, I guess just sleep with the blanket over your head.. haha :) congrats!

I've just had a three-way group chat for the first time with the two roommates. My American roommate took her dog in as a stray. For that, she is now several levels above a mere "good person" in my head. She also prefers "dark and quiet" so guess there would be two people adapting to the music and night light!

hahah, or maybe that other girl is gonna end up getting kicked to the curb instead of you getting to use your get out of jail free card! ;) either way, fans have always worked really well for me. try it out :) but that's awesome that she rescued, definitely ! you guys have something in common with your puppy dogs then :) I really can't imagine a dalmatian being in a shelter, my best friend has been searching for one for ages. haha. hope everything goes well, though! it seems like you all are going to get along decently, other than sleeping.. haha :D

I use a white noise application on my ipod touch and headphones to sleep because the boyfriend snores like a mack truck.

I remember being nervous about meeting my roommates, and I'll be honest, one of them was BAD!! She was just really hard to be around, but the other one turned out to be one of my best friends in college. Having a roommate from Michigan is also good because maybe she will invite you for thanksgiving or holidays if you're stuck on campus with nothing to do!

Just try to go with the flow and relax. At the very worst, you have to put up with them for 9 months! And those months will fly by!

I'd really bet that you'll come to appreciate that night light; three people in one room and at dark thirty someone has to go to the loo, much better to have a night light than to have someone flip on the overhead!

If the girl who listens to music while going to sleep uses a radio without headphones, I'd be very subtle and buy her a decent set of ear buds ... as if that's subtle<??>

You worry too much, if you know it's going to be upsetting going in then it probably will be,  if you expect it to be a challenge then it probably will be; if you expect it to be fun - forget it, this is college you're talking about!!

I am gonna echo Al on this one. You never know, maybe she already intends on using earbuds. I can't imagine that she really expects two other people to listen to whatever music she likes while you're all trying to sleep. She probably just forgot to mention that was how she did it. It does sound pretty awesome that they are both animals lovers and seem so nice already. I'm still so excited for you. It's definitely a good sign that they're so eager to all interact and get to know each other.

Sent from my iPhone inbetween walking dogs!

Uh oh. I've just read in my room assignment notification page that "It is very likely that students temporarily placed in a transitional room will be re-assigned to their permanent, traditional room prior to their arrival to campus in August". I really hope they'd let us at least meet each other first and spend a week or two living together. That way we would be able to decide who moves out. Though I must admit living in a room designed for two people with two roommates must be a little bit... challenging.