Please Help!

CROSEA

Hi all, I have a beautiful husky named Sky, she is 7 years old.

Last month I got her spade, she was constantly being sick, not eating, drinking for a few days (Was told it was ok) it carried on for a week, the vets took her in and put her on an IV drip and took bloods.. They came back with chronic renal kidney failure and she had weeks to live, we had a second and a third opinion and was told she didn't. They then took every blood test possible, all negative! Opened her up and found NOTHING.

She was 26 in weigh, now 19.5.

Vets are telling me to put her down? I'm at my loose ends, how can I put my baby down not knowing what's wrongs?

Anyone had or known of anything like this her symptoms are..

Not eating, drinking. She keeps squatting to go toilet but nothing comes, her nose was blocked full of black sticky stuff, she's not herself at all.

Please someone help, advice, support? No where else to turn now :-(

She's currently on steroids to try build her up but I'm having to crush them and syringe them down her throat :-(

Before she was spade she was so healthy!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an ordeal. It almost sounds like an infection that has gone septic. In other words, an infection that has spread and been picked up by the blood and has been further spread to other organs. If that is the case, there is little if anything that can be done. I am so sorry. What does the vet who did the spay operation have to say?

Are the steroids helping her at all?

My bear has an aggressive form of colitis and is on steroids long term to control it. Without them she vomits, frequently strains to pass blood From her bottom, refuses to eat and just lays on the floor, looking lifeless and feeling sick.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe it's possible she contracted something whilst at the vets. Parvovirus springs to mind but maybe another kind of superbug?

Edit: did they test for cushings and addisons disease?

What an ordeal. It almost sounds like an infection that has gone septic. In other words, an infection that has spread and been picked up by the blood and has been further spread to other organs. If that is the case, there is little if anything that can be done. I am so sorry. What does the vet who did the spay operation have to say?

I can't like this response for the obvious reason but I do have to "ditto" it.

It's like it's a nasty dream and I'm waiting to wake up! The vets who spade her was the PDSA, and they took all the bloods and opened her up and still can't shead no light, they called me today and basically said there's nothing else they can do and what time would we bring her up to be out down!

I was in tears, but there's a part of me that thinks she may improve but it's not looking to good, I cannot keep her alive for my sake if she's slowing dying from not eating and drinking :/

She had a steroid injection yesterday (Thursday) she perked up, tail was in the air, sniffing all the dogs but today she's not eaten anything, she's had a tiny bit to drink plus the water I used with her steroid tablets. I've tried every single food just to get her to eat :-(

Thank you for your comments, I think it helps just letting it all out to people who love their huskies just like me, it's devastating!

The pdsa and two private vets have all said there's no more that they can do.

Shall I give these steroid tablets time to work? I don't want to be selfish but I also don't want to give up on her?

We literally don't have a glimmer to what it could be, vets don't have no idea :-(

I know it sounds awful, but when my girl got hit we tried everything. even though they basically told us the surgery wasn't going to work, we still tried it. she didn't make it, but I know if I hadn't tried everything, I would have regretted it forever.

I would hold up a little longer to see if the steroid does any good. call some different vets, tell them your story, and maybe even travel a bit to see a different one. *shrugs* I know you don't wanna put your baby down without a fight, so keep trying. she may not feel well right now, but you never know. things could get better.

and make sure to get some fluids in her to keep her okay. dogs and people can go a while without food, but they HAVE to have water.

good luck and keep us posted.

That's exactly how I'm feeling, I know if I don't try everything I can I will regret it! I'm going to stick it out with the steroids, she's not in any pain as I can tell, i just needed someone to tell me to keep trying, I know vets are amazing but when it's your own animal who you love so much you would do anything like you would your children etc!

Fingers crossed she has a good day tomorrow, brought her some yummy meat not sure how on earth she can turn it down ha ha!

Thank you so much!! :-D

you're very welcome! if you think she's dehydrated, which I'm sure she is if she's not drinking water, give her pediacure for babies. little drops. it's supposed to keep them hydrated. and it should taste good ;)

raw meats are good for dogs, definitely would try that.

my boyfriend also thinks she has an infection. maybe bring that up to your vet? possible the vet isn't as clean as it should be. if it is an infection and it gets really bad and goes too long, it could end badly. so I would check that out soon.

you definitely would regret it if you didn't try everything, I can promise you that. but I would keep trying.

but keep us updated please and call around to other vets!

good luck !

What's her body language like?? We went through a very scary ordeal with Cj not along. She ended up being diagnosed with Addisons disease. Some of the symptoms that you mentioned were also symptoms our Cj had. Have you had an internal medicines specailist see her?

Hi Ed, we had a test for Addison's but it came back negative as that's what we thought she had. Today she ate some dry dog food then had some water, then at around lunch time we gave her some ham but she wasn't interested even tried cooked bacon she went to eat it but then didn't. I then tried some bread and butter and she ate it all! To me she looks like her teeth are sore or maybe her throat which may be caused from the tube down her neck when she had her op? The vets are saying its not. We are going to keep trying for a few more days then book an appointment with a different vet maybe have the camera down the throat? As that's all i can think of that we haven't tried.

but soooo happy shes finally eaten and drinking more!

soon as she had the bread she perked up, tail wagging!

fingers crossed!! :)

I am a pharmacology (study of medicine) PhD, to my knowledge. It is very possible certain antibiotics would cause renal failure in certain individual. The vet might mess up with antibiotics during or after the operation. What antibiotic she was on and did they did a test?

Do they think it is an infection? Have they tried IV fluids? Or antibiotics if it is an infection? I would go to yet another vet. See if she will lick some popcycles, peanut butter, anything she might just lick to get some fluid and nutrition. I'm so sorry this has happened. And I really hope another vet will find what's going on. I know you've been to a few, but it would go to another. You would think that one of them would know, find out, what's going on... Hugs to you and your sky.

Sky's been in over night about 15 nights in total on IV Fluids and they put feeding tubes in but she chewed them out, just tried the ice poles and she loves them, best run to shops and get loads!

Hi Wendy the list of drugs she had are (that I know of) Zantac Metronidazole Cephalexin Predndale.

Pdsa have given her a few diagnoses then said it wasn't, so far we've been told thickening around the bowel, chronic renal failure then ulcers in the gummy, oh and gas in intestines. But then once explored more every diagnoses was ruled out.

Just wish they knew what it is!

Thank you everyone, only found this site yesterday and I love it! Felt more at ease through your comments than the three vets we've seen!

I think the only thing more frustrating than having a furkid who's under the weather is have a human kid who's under the weather.  But at least the human variety can tell you wha'ts going on that doesn't feel good!

Chloe, I have nothing left to offer except my prayers that eventually some one realizes what's going on and the she gets better.

As long as she's not in severe pain I think talking to different vets and keeping her on steroids is a good option. I know how hard these situations can be, I was in a similar position with my family dog. Its hard to give up on our pets especially since they are family to us. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you get answers. 

(Just like humans, not every disease have all the symptoms, a vet that thinks outside of the box is needed)

Edited by Nava's Mommy

Hi Chloe!

Glad to hear she ate something. I know how exciting that is when you have a sick pup. Put a smile on my face to read that her tail was up. Have you tried jars of baby food? Our vet recommended them for Cj when she wouldnt eat. Scrambled eggs were also another idea we tried. We also mixed half pedialite half water in her dish to help keep her hydrated.

I know how hard it is hot knowing the answers. We'll be thinking of you and Sky and checking this thread. I hope they can get this figured out and Sky can get back to beinga happy husky!

Can we see a picture of Sky? :D

This is sky as a puppy with her brother Paddy, then this is the most recent photo of sky whilst she's been I'll again with her brother Paddy.

As you can see her ribs :-(

Don't have any photos on iPad of when she was healthy before op xxx

post-12116-0-09836300-1405791553.jpg

post-12116-0-42871000-1405791598_thumb.j

Her brother Paddy is with my sister who has another husky called Inca who had 11 puppies! We are a husky mad family!xx

Ohhh, that's awesome! huskies are amazing dogs :) I hope your little girl gets to feeling better. and I'm sure she will, especially with an owner who cares so much about her :)