1St Shed

Anayablue

Hello.... a few months ago I was posting that our puppy Anaya (who is 11 months now) wasn't really shedding much - well much has changed... PLEASE someone tell me the first shed is the worst.  This is insane.  I read the shed's last about 2-3 weeks... we are going on about a month.. and it has just started coming out clumpy.  I just through out my 5X7 area rug because I gave up trying to vacuum it 3'x a day.  I'm grooming her repeatedly throughout the day, 2-3 times... about 20 min. a session but it just keeps coming out.  Our backyard looks like a cotton field.  Is there some kind of secret to this.. would giving her a bath help.. is there no end to the fur?

thanks.. Kris    

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I think you're probably just gonna have to get used to it! Giving a bath can help, and using a high velocity dryer can help blow out the hair. We end up vacuuming several times a day, particularly the sofa because every time she stands up, she leaves a little husky outline behind.

Al quite normal.

It's one of the things that you read, or were told about, that until it happens

You really can't understand Just how much fur can come off a Husky.

Oh, yeah and. . . . . . . it's twice per year :D

Yes they can get worse.

and when they've finally finished they look sooooooo skinny until it grows back in

I've learned it's a waste of my time to put my broom/vacuum away. It's not going to get any better.

I got rid of carpet and put in laminate flooring 

so much easier and quicker to keep clean.

I think chad is shedding his puppy coat, too. his back is a lot more coarse than his head / back leg area. and by his back legs there are clumps coming out. it's awful, especially since he has a wooly coat. the new, coarse hair is a lot darker, too. I just spent an hour trying to get some brushing done. barely did any good. :/

Luna is 11 months and is blowing her first coat as well, its hard to believe I've took 4 carrier bags of fluff off her never mind whats in the garden or the hover :lol:

The hover has never been used so much, her coat is getting darker or else its just the absence of the white / beige fluff but she now looks 3/4 the size, been asked a lot this week is she sick because she looks thinner lol.

hopefully with alll the fluff coming off it'll be more bearable in the hot weather.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi..Marley is 11 months old, and I believe he's sheding his first coat, but he is just doint it in patches. Is this normal?? After reading some answer it seems to be normal.I was thinking in taking him to the vet.

yep totally normally both of mine do it that way...

Hello.... a few months ago I was posting that our puppy Anaya (who is 11 months now) wasn't really shedding much - well much has changed... PLEASE someone tell me the first shed is the worst.  This is insane.  I read the shed's last about 2-3 weeks... we are going on about a month.. and it has just started coming out clumpy.  I just through out my 5X7 area rug because I gave up trying to vacuum it 3'x a day.  I'm grooming her repeatedly throughout the day, 2-3 times... about 20 min. a session but it just keeps coming out.  Our backyard looks like a cotton field.  Is there some kind of secret to this.. would giving her a bath help.. is there no end to the fur?

thanks.. Kris    

ROFLMAO....................You think that is bad, we have four vacuum cleaners....................one for the house, three for the dogs......... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gary.

my top tip is to get a wire dog brush and use that to brush the carpets instead of vacuuming, it's much more effective and quite satisfying. Also get a throw for the bed if they sleep on there in the day.

Khaleesi is blowing her coat for the 2nd time and it's so much worse than her first one...x

Zoya blew her coat during her first year. She just turned six, and she's not stopped yet. She is still blowing her coat.

I always say they shed once a year from 1st of jan to 31st of dec.   :rofl:  :rofl:  and yes have not got any carpet where the dogs are the most just laminate flooring... :D

be carefull with a furminator they can damage the fur as well... I use an undercoat rake much more gentle on the fur imo...

from what i understand is that it can damage the guard hairs.. do not get me wrong there are people that swear by a furminator,

mine just hate it and once i used an undercoat  rake they were fine...

haha.. thanks for all the replies.. I guess we'll just have to adjust to having hair everywhere. I think the worst is over.. mostly just her hind quarters are left and her tail.  I bought a good under belly rake.. seems to work really good.