Need Your Honest Opinion : Am I Really Ready? (No Sugar Coating!)

Shaiasaur

I always tear myself up about these things. It's like a life or death situation on my part... I keep myself worried about the future, like getting a husky, because I just care too much!

So, here it goes!

I've done a butt ton of research about this breed. Here is a bit I know...(I know a lot more too!)

- Huskies shed a lot, and they typically don't have that "dog" smell.

- Huskies can suffer from separation anxiety.

- They are great escape artists, and can not be trusted off the leash. They have a high prey drive and should not be left alone with small animals and they love to dig.

- It's best to crate train them for their safety and your house. They are smart and will even out smart you. They howl very loudly.

Now this is just the basics of it. I am planning on adopting an older dog, around 3 and up preferably.

I'm in the process of making it so my cat is use to staying in my room, since I will be closing the doors once I do get a husky. My cat always stays in my room anyways and never wants to come out unless it's night, so I see no issue here.

I am planning on having someone come over and let my dog out to the restroom if I am not home in a good time. My schedule is constantly changing and I never know what's going to happen. I am able to motivate myself and get up early and walk my dog in my HUGE yard for around 2 hours or more in the mornings, if I have time some in the evening, and around 2 or more hours at night.

I'm just kind of scared to leave my husky locked up in a crate for maybe 7 hours on some days. I think that's cruel (I just always feel bad about it) and I feel the dog should be able to have free roam of the house even though I know that's a horrible idea.

I will feed him in the mornings and afternoons to eliminate the Chances of obesity.

It's just hard because I work part time and I am a full time student, and I will be havingn to move to State soon (a year or two) and I just don't know. I'm feeling impatient to get a dog since I waited 3 years already, but I also tell myself I'm being selfish too and I need to slow down.

Now, tell me what you guys think and be honest!

Here's the thing, Shai: each Husky is an individual. It is very hard to say if you're ready or not. A working Husky with separation anxiety might not be your best choice, but did you know there are also Huskies that, after some time of training, do not need a crate? Rob's Alpha and Bindi are an example. If you are to adopt an exact copy of my Diamond, you're far more than ready. He has low to non-existent prey drive, no trace of separation anxiety at all ("you're leaving? OK bye!") , low activity demand ("walks? GREAT! no walks? Alright maybe next time..."), no noise *at all* and a clear possibility of being Sleeping Beauty in the past life (he sleeps almost 20 hours a day, crate-less!). But like I said, if said Husky is a working dog or simply born energetic (just. can. not. sit. still) you're gonna have a little problem considering your irregular schedule. This kind of dog needs a lot of exercise every day. They can't go out for a 6-kilo walk today and 1-kilo walk tomorrow. They need that 6-kilo walk every day.

So I guess what I'm gonna suggest is this; look around. Find the individual that suits you. Speak to breed-specific rescues and ask them to find a match for you. Do a meet-up, get to know the dog and decide. In your area, I guess you can speak to either Hairy Houdini Siberian Husky Rescue or MisUnderstood Siberian Husky.

Other things to consider:

- Is your yard husky-proof?

- Do you have sufficient financial back-up to care for a dog?

- Have you ever tried walking a Husky or doggy-sitting one just for the experience?

Here's the thing, Shai: each Husky is an individual. It is very hard to say if you're ready or not. A working Husky with separation anxiety might not be your best choice, but did you know there are also Huskies that, after some time of training, do not need a crate? Rob's Alpha and Bindi are an example. If you are to adopt an exact copy of my Diamond, you're far more than ready. He has low to non-existent prey drive, no trace of separation anxiety at all ("you're leaving? OK bye!") , low activity demand ("walks? GREAT! no walks? Alright maybe next time..."), no noise *at all* and a clear possibility of being Sleeping Beauty in the past life (he sleeps almost 20 hours a day, crate-less!). But like I said, if said Husky is a working dog or simply born energetic (just. can. not. sit. still) you're gonna have a little problem considering your irregular schedule. This kind of dog needs a lot of exercise every day. They can't go out for a 6-kilo walk today and 1-kilo walk tomorrow. They need that 6-kilo walk every day.

So I guess what I'm gonna suggest is this; look around. Find the individual that suits you. Speak to breed-specific rescues and ask them to find a match for you. Do a meet-up, get to know the dog and decide. In your area, I guess you can speak to either Hairy Houdini Siberian Husky Rescue or MisUnderstood Siberian Husky.

Other things to consider:

- Is your yard husky-proof?

- Do you have sufficient financial back-up to care for a dog?

- Have you ever tried walking a Husky or doggy-sitting one just for the experience?

Thank you for being honest with me! And I know you are right. Every husky is different just like the people you meet on a daily basis. I am planning on meeting huskies and seeing which one is good and all the while talking to a professional about it. I will try to give the dog the best "regular" schedule I can offer, becUse in all honesty, who can keep a regular schedule? Haha!

My yard isn't fenced, but I am planning on getting a long leash to have him roam a bit. I can walk down a ways to be met with a neighborhood, which has sidewalks, and I am able to go to parks to walk. I am considering biking and rollerblading with the dog, I am so excited for the exercising part because I'm tired of sitting on the computer all the time.

My uncle has a dog (pit-bull) and I ask him if I can practice with her but he's so stubborn and he says "No." Pisses me off! But I admit I don't have experience with walking but everyone has a first, hm?

I do have back up for financial care, so that's good!

The unfenced yard might present a problem during interview, since both rescues I wrote up there prefer fenced yard. But I guess as long as the dog is kept inside it shouldn't be a problem (?). I do recommend putting up a baby gate on your front door so the dog won't be able to just take off though. Oh unless you're planning to fence it all off in the distant future? That would make all the difference.

I would be very, very careful rollerblading with a Husky. They are powerful dogs and when I say "powerful", I mean powerful. They're more than strong enough to slam your face to the ground! :o I know there are videos out there of people rollerblading with not one but two Huskies, but those dogs obviously have gone through one hell of a training. Always train your dog for basic walking commands before running him on any kind of device be it a regular bike or a proper scooter. I've seen a man being pulled out of his bike by his dog... luckily he found a footing and managed to keep his face from kissing the tarmac, but still... :o

I do agree that there's always a first time and you may as well have that first experience in the shelter/foster home, but I think you might be in for a surprise. Look out for dogs that are already trained for loose-leash walking, because the ones who are not yet trained are capable of breaking something. Have you considered to add training tools cost to your financial spreadsheet? Because you might need that head collar... or that front-leading harness... or that walking belt.

EDIT: not that I assume you didn't already know, but to emphasize on the "powerful" part, I think I need to let you know that my first walk with Diamond resulted in a peeled-off skin on my left foot and inability to walk straight for three whole days. I thought, "awww this dog is just SO gentle! I don't need to be careful at all!" and walked him barefoot. Well then he yanked forward, took off full speed and I didn't know how to stop him.

EDIT #2: I've just thought about this. Maybe your uncle doesn't want you to walk his Pit because the dog is far too energetic (as most Pits are). Diamond today is 100% loose-leash walking-trained but I still don't let inexperienced people to walk him before I'm positive he's tired. I've decided... I think you need to walk somebody's powerful dog at least once before you go see a Husky. It can be a GSD, a Rott (crazy powerful), a Pit or any kind of powerful breeds. No actual Husky necessary.

Lastly; why do we need to teach our dogs commands before hooking them up to a scooter? Because these dogs are surprisingly fast. It's not their top speed, but their ability to accelerate in a blink of an eye.

The unfenced yard might present a problem during interview, since both rescues I wrote up there prefer fenced yard. But I guess as long as the dog is kept inside it shouldn't be a problem (?). I do recommend putting up a baby gate on your front door so the dog won't be able to just take off though. Oh unless you're planning to fence it all off in the distant future? That would make all the difference.

I would be very, very careful rollerblading with a Husky. They are powerful dogs and when I say "powerful", I mean powerful. They're more than strong enough to slam your face to the ground! :o I know there are videos out there of people rollerblading with not one but two Huskies, but those dogs obviously have gone through one hell of a training. Always train your dog for basic walking commands before running him on any kind of device be it a regular bike or a proper scooter. I've seen a man being pulled out of his bike by his dog... luckily he found a footing and managed to keep his face from kissing the tarmac, but still... :o

I do agree that there's always a first time and you may as well have that first experience in the shelter/foster home, but I think you might be in for a surprise. Look out for dogs that are already trained for loose-leash walking, because the ones who are not yet trained are capable of breaking something. Have you considered to add training tools cost to your financial spreadsheet? Because you might need that head collar... or that front-leading harness... or that walking belt.

EDIT: not that I assume you didn't already know, but to emphasize on the "powerful" part, I think I need to let you know that my first walk with Diamond resulted in a peeled-off skin on my left foot and inability to walk straight for three whole days. I thought, "awww this dog is just SO gentle! I don't need to be careful at all!" and walked him barefoot. Well then he yanked forward, took off full speed and I didn't know how to stop him.

EDIT #2: I've just thought about this. Maybe your uncle doesn't want you to walk his Pit because the dog is far too energetic (as most Pits are). Diamond today is 100% loose-leash walking-trained but I still don't let inexperienced people to walk him before I'm positive he's tired. I've decided... I think you need to walk somebody's powerful dog at least once before you go see a Husky. It can be a GSD, a Rott (crazy powerful), a Pit or any kind of powerful breeds. No actual Husky necessary.

Lastly; why do we need to teach our dogs commands before hooking them up to a scooter? Because these dogs are surprisingly fast. It's not their top speed, but their ability to accelerate in a blink of an eye.

My mom said that eventually she wants to get the back yard fenced, but the house we have right now is currently under construction majorly (that's probably what they'll consider too) but so far it's just a money issue on my moms behalf.

Oh I already know they pull and have great speed, I mean that's what they were bred to do. I plan on training the husky definitely of course before I hop on my bike or jump in my roller blades and say "Mush!" Me and the dog needs to train together at first.

My uncle is just bull headed and acts as if he's the only one that can do anything with his dog. He just won't let me. I'll ask him though again but I'll doubt he will say yes. He isn't afraid of the force it's just him in general.

I also already plan to go to Petsmart or something along the lines of obedience or just training in general for a bonding experience and to help myself too. I already have $320 saved up in just about 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like you've done your research as we did, we had both had working dogs before collies retrievers etc. We were upset when we tried the animal shelters and they said no as we had never had a husky before. now I understand why! We crate trained Khaleesi, she watched intently for months and then one day she opened the crate from the inside! Sp we no longer crate her. We're lucky because she's not destructive she only eats underwear. She absolutely doesn't have separation anxiety, however I got her because I needed to slow down in my working life due to health problems so I now have to go home at lunch. We have to be very selective wit with who we trust to walk her as I've spent a few hundred quid on training and one bad walk can undo months of training. Could you ask your uncle to show you how to walk his pit bull? I have to walk Khaleesi on a head collar as she is so strong I can't control her on anything else. You need to make sure you can afford pet insurance. But most importantly you need to make sure the garden is secure, it is not fun chasing a husky down the road because she's opened your front door and chased a cat (true story)

Also you are probably going to need to play with the dog constantly when you are home. If you're like me you will perfect the art of typing an assignment with one hand and throwing a ball with the other! These dogs need constant stimulation so you'll need to come up with ways to keep them occupied when you're out. I like to do her a treasure hunt where I hide treats for her or you can get puzzle toys like the Kong but you'll need to use different ones each day or they'll get bored.

I actually think you've done lots of research and the only thing I'd suggest is going and meeting some huskies and walking them and playing with them. Because they play ROUGH! And you might want to consider a dog walker for days when you're out for a long time. But good luck! Xx

you have certainly done a lot of thinking about this, I wish more did. Another option that you can think about is having an outside run & kennel so your husky is not confined to a crate or room while you are out. But keep asking the questions & thinking of options until you find the right husky for you  :)

Everything looks good! The only thing I would say to prepare yourself is to stop thinking a crate is cruel - it's really not!! My dogs LOVE their crates - their crates are their dens! In human terms, its their 'bedroom'. It's a safe place where they can be alone. So quite honestly a lot of times a crate is the best option, even if they're not always in it, to have just for their sake. Other than that I'd say you're good!

It makes me happy that you guys think that I have definitely done my research!

But I have chosen to wait, because my schedule changes and I feel bad for leaving my dog alone when I'm not home, and with college I don't know how I'm going to get through it if I have to pay attention to my dog 24/7 other than do my homework and project you know?

It's so exciting thinking of taking my dog everywhere and going on fun adventures, but I think I should wait, though it is SO SO SO hard for me.

I would love to babysit a husky and stuff, but the thing is, is that there is no one I know who has huskies, and at my local shelter there aren't any. :/

Where exactly in MI are you? Why don't you meet one of us? :D Megan (Mobezilla) often goes up to MI with her pups, and Tiffany (LightningStruck) lives in MI with her two boys. I haven't confirmed anything yet but I think I'm meeting Jason and his three on the 31st this month on this campus trip to Chicago. I've also been told that MI is Siberian central, with lots of great breeders and working/showing events.

EDIT: not to mention, I'm flying Dime over on my second year. I remember you're planning to transfer to MSU? So if you're still waiting until then, you'd be able to see Dime :)

I totally forgot about the meets here in MI! Oh wow :P I'll have to do something like that for sure, and I would love to meet you and your precious Dime! Just let me know when you're going to MSU and we will hook up!

Edit: I am in the Monroe township area.

Why are you waiting a year to bring Dime? Is it due to freshmen students having to say In a dorm? Hopefully I don't have to stay in a dorm, since I'm in college and probably have more than 28 transferable credits.

Whenever you want to meet up just let me know, and just curious, do you have transportation or do you not drive? Because we could meet up at a certain spot. :3

We'll be in Michigan on August 16th for the Renissance Festival, and I am the admin for the Ohio h2m2 along with my best friend Abby, and Abby and I are good friends with two Michigan admins Mette and Chelsea, so we may be going up to a couple of those meets sometime this year as well. I will also be in Michigan a few times this winter for the sledding camps in northeastern Michigan. If you want to meet me or my pups I'm totally game - I'll probably have Lyon when I go to the fair in two weeks. 

Why are you waiting a year to bring Dime? Is it due to freshmen students having to say In a dorm? Hopefully I don't have to stay in a dorm, since I'm in college and probably have more than 28 transferable credits.

Whenever you want to meet up just let me know, and just curious, do you have transportation or do you not drive? Because we could meet up at a certain spot. :3

Precisely :cry1:

I don't drive just yet but hey public transport is everywhere :D

Awe poor thing, that's the only bad thing about it.

If you want I can exchange you my phone number and maybe we can talk a bit on meeting up!

Yeah and you're right, public transport is everywhere. I have a car but no license yet, I'll be taking my road test here this week YAY finally. :P

I'd get a US number first :) won't reach MI until 14th Aug, but I'll be in L.A by 9th or 10th Aug (time difference is confusing)

Haha just wait until you get here! You will be on Eastern time but I'm on Central time. But most of Indiana is on Eastern time as well.

And when Indiana didn't observe daylight saving time it was a BIG mess!

Uh... yeah. That I'd need to learn as well. I've learned to quickly (roughly) convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, miles to kilometers, pounds to kilograms and feet to meters already but I *still* don't get the time zones. I also still have problem remembering which state is located where :o