Just A Little Advice Please

Rusty

Hi,

I have briefly read some similar old posts so apologies for the repetition but could do with some suggestions please.

Nero is now 4 and a half months old, he has suffered with runny poops pretty much since we brought him home. I am aware that huskies are notorious for sensitive tummies but am concerned that everything tried is not helping him.

He has regular worming treatment and is all covered in that regard.

We kept him on the food our breeder had been using (k9 optimum puppy) and he had consistently bad belly, after he settled in and seemed not stressed at all we took him to the vet ( about 3 weeks) who advised chicken and rice purée for a week. This made no difference so they sent off a stool sample and a blood test, both came back negative for anything.

They gave us a gi food and some satches of pro Colin which he really didn't like but did eat and after a week he lost 3 pounds and was vomiting. They did a set of 2 blood tests before and after he ate which showed they felt he has irritable bowel syndrome.

Again back to chicken and rice purée, anti biotics and something to help with inflammation. During the 2 weeks of this, occasionally his stools were a little better but the rice was clearly not being digested.

To be honest I feel that the vets are just going through their normal motions and although I'm sure they are very good but we are very concerned that he is not putting on the weight he needs and currently his toilet is very watery.

I just want to give him consistency, but even chicken on its own is not helping. Sorry for the essay, any suggestions I would be really greatful

At the mo he is having approx 2 chicken breasts a day, do you think this is too much? I really need too add more variety for his nutrients ect but vet has advised this for a week. Also he does seem to be looking to eat more, but I don't want to over feed him.

And, Rusty, I think the thing that concerns me is the chicken and rice purré.  If it is, in fact, a purré it would probably be very liquid - more liquid than simply cooked rice ( I know, people cook rice in all kinds of consistencies; when *I* cook rice, it tends to be kinda dry and sticky )  The reason the purré caught my attention, if it is moist / wet then you could be giving the pup more liquid than his body can handle, thus he gets rid of it the best way possible.

I'm presuming one chicken breast / one cup of rice at morning and evening?  That sounds like it might be a bit much since most adult Husky's live on about two cups total a day ...

(( and Francophiles, what's the correct spelling for the word we English speakers pronounce purray?? ))

Edited by Al Jones

Have you tried  a wheat and gluten free kibble to see if that may help. I am feeding mine on a diet of raw chicken mince and a gluten and wheat free kibble made by Bestpets called Low and Easy. It's now very rare that I have a problem.I also agree with Al on the puree thing.

Gary.

The number one cause of loose stools in Huskies is over feeding. Most vets are not even aware that a Husky needs to consume much less than other breeds. So, not quite sure why the vet is having you make a purée, but anyway.

First, I would withhold food and treats for 24 hours. Make sure to provide water.

Next, steam 2 servings of rice, either brown or white, does not matter. Boil a skinless chicken breast until done. And hard boil two eggs. Dice the chicken and the eggs and loosely mix with the rice. Get some plain yogurt. And if you can find it, plain canned pumpkin.

Feed a minimum of two meals of the rice mixture (three if you can), giving 1cup (if not in the US, use two tea cups) per meal. About an hour either side of each meal, give a couple spoons of plain yogurt. About one hour after each meal, give a couple spoons of plain canned pumpkin.

After two days, see if there is any improvement in stools. If there is, continue on this course for about five days total. After the five days, the next phase will take 7 to 10 days to transition back to kibble. You will want to gradually use a little less of the rice mix and add a little of the kibble. Each day lessen the rice mix and increase the kibble. Don't rush this phase. If the stools remain firm, you can drop the pumpkin, but continue with the plain yogurt for a day or two after you've dropped the pumpkin.

So, let's discuss the kibble. Three ingredients that you should not feed your Husky are corn, wheat, and soy. Both corn and wheat belong to the grass family, and soy is of little benefit to a dog. Find a kibble that, if not grain free, is void of corn, wheat, and soy. This would be the opportune time to make a switch to a quality food. At 4-1/2 months, puppy food or an all stages of life food is in order.

Finally, don't rely on the amounts listed of the label to be the correct amount to feed. Remember, Huskies don't require as much food as other breeds, and over feeding results in soft, runny stools. Start with about half the recommended amount for weight and age. Feed that for two days and increase by a small increment for two days, and so on, keeping a watch on the stools. When they start to soften up again, back off of the amount you feed. Also, some people see the amount listed to feed and think that it is per meal. It is per day.

No guarantees that this will work, but it has worked for mine on several occasions.

And, Rusty, I think the thing that concerns me is the chicken and rice purré.  If it is, in fact, a purré it would probably be very liquid - more liquid than simply cooked rice ( I know, people cook rice in all kinds of consistencies; when *I* cook rice, it tends to be kinda dry and sticky )  The reason the purré caught my attention, if it is moist / wet then you could be giving the pup more liquid than his body can handle, thus he gets rid of it the best way possible.

I'm presuming one chicken breast / one cup of rice at morning and evening?  That sounds like it might be a bit much since most adult Husky's live on about two cups total a day ...

(( and Francophiles, what's the correct spelling for the word we English speakers pronounce purray?? ))

Yes I would say there is quite a bit of water in the food at the mo, so this could make sense although when on kibble he has been the same, though as we mainly followed the instructions this would link to the over feeding so could all be reasons why. Thanks

Yes I would say there is quite a bit of water in the food at the mo, so this could make sense although when on kibble he has been the same, though as we mainly followed the instructions this would link to the over feeding so could all be reasons why. Thanks

They don't need as much kibble as the bag says So that might be why

They don't need as much kibble as the bag says So that might be why

Khaleesi used to eat about half of what the bag said any more and it was awful! She only eats raw now and is fine, but I would try reduc ing the portion size until it firms up. And I would Defo go for a grain free food. X

After following the advice from mazz his poop is finally normal! We haven't put him back on kibble yet just stayed with the mixture for now to keep him settled for a while. Thanks everyone honestly I am so relieved that this has worked I was so worried about him :) he still eats like he's starving every time though cheeky boy!

Rusty, thanks for your response on what worked for you.  All too often people seem to forget that they're following someones suggestions and a lot of us would like to know how things worked out.

And this is why I"m not saying much right now, I can't get a logical coherent thought out right!!

Well Mazz . is any plain yogurt ok ? Bio ? Cheers

Just plain yogurt. Just make sure it has natural cultures.