Making Big Changes

Chula

How do you decide when to make a big change in your life?

I am considering applying for a job in Michigan. I am perfectly qualified for the position. I don't think the OH would go with me. But it's a good opportunity, and things haven't exactly been perfect between us. I am not sure how we would work out the Chula issue, but if I can't keep her with me, then I wouldn't go. I won't leave her for anything. I am both nervous and excited about the possibility.

I guess you just have to close your eyes, take a deep breath, steady yourself and then take a giant leap of faith.

I may drink too much wine but I'm still a sensitive soul, lol, and i've noticed a while back that you don't sound particularly happy with the way things are right now, maybe this is your chance to make a fresh start? you'll never know if you don't fill out the application. :)

We're kinda in the same boat here although it's A bit different. Hubby lived out in Canada with his family for a year or two in his teenager years and now he wants us all to apply to move over there. This would be amazing, I admit. But i'm a southern english girl through and through. As much as I like the idea, at the same time it terrifies me to leave behind everything that I've ever known.

Maybe I should start to practice what I preach, lol.

Good luck whatever path you follow Emily. :grouphug:

Well, what I would do is sit down and write the pros and cons of taking the new position, or staying where you are at. Obviously a pro would to be be closer to me ;)

It's a tough decision, but you have to think of everything.  If it is a great opportunity and the OH would not move with you, then  you would have to decide if it is worth passing up, especially if you are not happy with your relationship.  I understand about Chula though,because I would not be able to leave any of mine either.    But if you were to pass it up you might regret it later.  I say apply for the job and go from there.  The real decision would not come until you are offered the job ;)

True, I haven't exactly been offered a job yet! I just am so positive that I could get it if I did apply. Being closer to Jay and the boys would be #1 in the pro column! Plus Liv! The job is actually in Lansing. :)  I have a good friend outside of Detroit, which isn't exactly close, but not too far either. And it's much closer to my family in Minnesota.

I am not really happy with the current situation, and I think it's because we are just very different people with very different priorities. It's easy to stay together because starting over is hard! Especially when you are an old biddy like I am. :)  I would feel really badly taking Chula from him though. For both of them. She does adore him, but he doesn't have time to take care of her.

I am getting my resume in order. I supposed I lose nothing by applying, except a shot to the self esteem if I didn't even get a call for an interview!

Yeah, apply and see what happens!  Is it in the same line of work you are doing now? 

And here is a thought...you should get him a new dog if you do leave...like a lab that he can have off leash ;) 

It's really hard when you are at different places in your life and different likes, priorities, etc. 

Yeah, same line. Pretty much the exact same job just in the legislature instead of the executive branch. I looked at the agency's website and even all the vernacular they use is the same as we use. It would be an opportunity to get back into the political side of things and not so much the operational side I am doing now. I prefer the political stuff to the monkey typing numbers on a keyboard. :) It's more fun! 

Plus the politics are almost as nutty in Michigan as they are in Virginia!!

Yeah, same line. Pretty much the exact same job just in the legislature instead of the executive branch. I looked at the agency's website and even all the vernacular they use is the same as we use. It would be an opportunity to get back into the political side of things and not so much the operational side I am doing now. I prefer the political stuff to the monkey typing numbers on a keyboard. :) It's more fun!