How Far Can Your Dogs Run/walk At Once?

Zanki

I've been taking Shadow out for walks twice a day, but in the morning it's been too hot to talk her anywhere but the small park around the corner. She doesn't do much before she gets too hot so we keep those walks short. At night it's cooled down a lot and I take her for longer walks, but she tends to get tired pretty quickly. I've run two and a half miles with her and she could barely keep up (I'm not a fast runner, she was going at a trot most of the time), stopping half way through to wander through the big park so she could have a rest and drink some water. I took her out when it was cool and by the end she didn't want to run, we barely made it home before she needed to stop.

I'm wondering how far you guys can take your dogs? Is mine just too old or unhealthy to keep up with me or is it still too hot to run at 17/18 degrees?

hmm. I can't take my two too awful far, but it's around 90 degrees F here. I always take a bag with water / bowls in it so if they stop they can get a quick drink then keep on going. I only take my about a mile, depending on the heat of course. try taking a drink for her with you:)

At 17/18 degrees, Chula will walk forever, but she's young. Yesterday it was about that temp in the morning and we walked three miles. She'll bike about that far too and she'll be ready to be done, but would keep going if we wanted her to. Once the temp gets closer to 30 Celsius she isn't too thrilled to be walking and her walks are more like stopping to sniff stuff every ten feet and then looking up at me to see if it's time to go home yet.

In the summer Neither of mine are very energetic, even in the evenings when it's cooled down it's still too warm for them. If I try to walk Bear more than 30 mins, she lays on the floor and refuses to get up, lol.

It's A different story in the winter. The colder it gets, the higher their energy levels soar.

I normally take water and a bowl out with me for her, when I run it's no different. I don't have any history, just that she came in from Ireland with another husky who was at the shelter as well. She wasn't leash trained before I got her. Walking with her is very difficult unless I use the Halti head harness at the moment and even then she can still pull a little. A friend of mine who breeds husky's says she was possibly a breeding dog because she has very little fur around her tummy, she was neutered before she arrived at the rescue center here though.

We usually go out for 20-30 mins in the morning and 45ish in the evening, Nero would keep going for much longer but we were advised to gradually build up the time so not to affect his joints, he is only 4.5months old though!

Mine could go on and on and on, but I'm the opposite. So sometimes we have an argument in the middle of the walk where one wants to continue and the other wants to go home :o Dime's walking schedule heavily depends on the season. In dry season he gets 45 minutes in the morning and 90 minutes (sometimes 120) in the afternoon. Sometimes another 40 minutes at night. During rainy season, there's hardly any fixed duration we can stick to. I just look up and read the clouds... if it's about to rain, fall back! :shrug:

EDIT regarding Shadow, I hardly think there's anything wrong with her. Each is an individual, and I've heard of Huskies that make terrible jogging partners. Maybe she's just one of 'em :D

This is bad but I can literally outwalk Sasha, she'd just rather be at home lazing around.  If she gets a 30 minute walk in the evening when it's cool (relatively 25c/80f) she's ready to throw in the towel and go home.

Avalanche is the one I have to watch! He doesn't care what the temp is, he's ready to run.  Our routine is to let him go and follow (or ride alongside) him for two to four miles, then I'll pour some water into the bowl in the back of the Jeep and as often as not, he's ready to run home - yeh, he's got a bout a yard of tongue sticking out, but he's still ready to go for more.  And yes, I watch him *very* carefully, first I don't want to run him down and second I don't want him to drop from heat exhaustion.  Even if he's ready to still run but looking a little shaky, it's "In the Jeep" and home we go.

And just in case you're wondering, it's 22:30 and and still 35c/95f so we're not going anywhere tonight - besides that pizza still feels like lead!!!

Live in Florida but during the "winter" months I'd take her and her sister for runs between 4 and 5.5 miles.  She did okay with those and could probably go longer by herself (I took her with her older sister who can't go as far anymore).  As the temps increased I would either take them for less miles or walks.

In the summer she can tolerance a 20-40 minute walk as long as I have water at home.  I haven't taken her out recently as the heat indexes have been in the triple digits.  To me that's just not nice as she already runs outside in the backyard (and then lays in some dirt or under the shaded patio).

I have a 4 year old sibe called blaze and most days I have him strapped to my bike and he goes like the clappers for an hour minimum ha but Iv been doing this since he was around 2 so maybe just need to build them up. I swear my dog could run forever :( shame I can't hahaa

Mine walk every day upto 2,5 hrs I just space it differently when it is to hot outside then I walk longer in the morning...running I do not do as soon as the temperature goes above 13 cel. anytime of the year. Bindi would kill herself otherwise she will keep on going and going...

Usually when its hot i only take them on a 15-20 min walk, i dont wonder too far off from the house because they get way too hot and tired, even tho Shadow doesnt show it lol. But only if its in the 80s F with a breeze at the highest cuz i dont take them out on 90+ F weather, thats too hot [emoji46] but if they wake me up early enough or at night when its cooler i take them two miles. I'm trying to get Winter used to the 4 miles i would take with Shadow and Snickers (:

It's much hotter than usual here at the moment so we're doing 30 mins in the morning and 30 at night although if it's still really hot we might skip the evening walk because she's not too happy in this heat...and neither am I. Today we did about an hour in the woods and I think she had a walk this morning as she was in kennels last night.

If you've only just got shadow then maybe you just need to build her up to longer walks. We could walk all day but if I take khaleesi for a 30 min run she's knackered for the rest of the day and shes only 18 months so don't worry too much.