Gijs Found His New Permanent Home

BlueWolf

And this time it's for real. It actually already happened during my trip to Norway. I got notified someone came for Gijs but giving his last two adoptions I wasn't really feeling like cheering yet. In fact, I didn't even want to think of him because I knew I would start missing him too much for my own good :( I put his picture of my wall as I didn't dare thinking about it.

But yesterday marked his two weeks since he's away which ended his 'trail-weeks'. The shelter called the owners up to ask how he's doing and apparently he's doing absolutely fine. In the beginning he did bite but they made no deal of it as 'he still had do adjust' (YES!!! Finally somebody realises that too!!) and they did not had incidents after that. He's a very happy dog to have around and wags his tail whenever they're out walking. They really love Gijs and Gijs really loves them.

But today is my most important day. I just woke up with a complete different feeling. I feel that I can finally be truly happy about him having a home. I still miss him but knows he is at a good and permanent home that's truly a home for him. Why am I happy? Well, I just got this picture sent to me.

post-2355-0-41031700-1406800272.jpg

I'm now 100% convince he is at the right place and all I can feel is happiness for him.

My job's finally complete!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm laughing so hard right now. Gijs' photo I posted earlier made it to various places of the web. I found this in the collection of "12 Dogs That Are So Cute They Would Make a Burglar Go Awwww", and his picture is titled "The friendliest Guard Dog". People think he's a proper guard dog  :rofl:

http://simplisafe.com/blog/cute-guard-dogs

*#*$ this situation. From the very beginning I felt I had to do something for him. And now that he's been brought back for the FOURTH time that feeling is eating me from the inside out. Yet, there is not a single thing I can do. My parents definitely not, I have repeatedly asked around for people that may be interested but none reply. The worst feeling that I have right now is that I feel I can't trust him with others other then myself :(

According to the story he was absolutely great on walks, apart from the moment where, seemingly out of nowhere, he went on full attack mode when they wanted to pet him.

Now we did call last Wednesday which was when they said he was doing fine apart from two bite incidents which they didn't blame him for. Thursday they even sent photos which convincend me all was going well. I was finally brave enough to put up this topic. And then this Sunday he was brought back. I find it hard believing that it just popped up in the last few days especially when they were immediately done with him. But that's just my feelings again. I try very hard not to judge without knowing the full story (but it's hard...).

On the bright side, I have never seen Gijs so happy to see me. All he did was to lick my face (what is it with dogs always trying to lick my face??). He may be clumsy but he knows how to be gentle when he has to. I took him out for a long walk, which is something I've really missed doing to be honest. He was great with other dogs (while everyone always tells me he's a problem dog?). I also repeatedly tried petting him whilst walking and in different situations and he's just happy to have a fuss really. He just stops and almost falls over trying to lean on my, lol. I can do absolutely everything with him. The only odd thing I noticed was that he was terrified of a white van parked on the footpath. I have never seen him so scared but I have no idea what caused it  :huh: There was another car parked on the footpath further on which he had no problems with.

Now back to the issue. There is a very slight hope that they may take him back. They've said they feel a sorry for him and wondered if a behaviourist could help. For the sake of Gijs I hope they'll take him back. But for my own sake.... I secretly hope I never have to say goodbye again :(

Oh Jos, this really is breaking your heart, I'm so sorry.

I don't know what happened in Gijs case but what I know about ice is that whatever has happened to him before we got him is still there. You can't see it normally and for many months he's completely normal and happy. Then in one moment something triggers a memory or instinct, not sure which but you see the light behind his eyes go out and he changes. He goes from relaxed and happy to scared and defensive in a heartbeat and it's really that fast. He hasn't bitten us but he has cowered on the floor and pee'd himself over something like Paul passing me a roll of wrapping paper (he thought we would beat him with it I am guessing as he hates all types of sticks and poles in people's hands). It happens rarely now, he seems to be gaining more trust as the years fly by.

Sending out all my love to Gijs, fingers crossed that they come round and reconsider. Poor guy needs some stability.

Oh Jos, this really is breaking your heart, I'm so sorry.

I don't know what happened in Gijs case but what I know about ice is that whatever has happened to him before we got him is still there. You can't see it normally and for many months he's completely normal and happy. Then in one moment something triggers a memory or instinct, not sure which but you see the light behind his eyes go out and he changes. He goes from relaxed and happy to scared and defensive in a heartbeat and it's really that fast. He hasn't bitten us but he has cowered on the floor and pee'd himself over something like Paul passing me a roll of wrapping paper (he thought we would beat him with it I am guessing as he hates all types of sticks and poles in people's hands). It happens rarely now, he seems to be gaining more trust as the years fly by.

Sending out all my love to Gijs, fingers crossed that they come round and reconsider. Poor guy needs some stability.

I think it's indeed like this and secretly I hope to see it myself one day too, just as a confirmation that I'm not going crazy here and that he indeed is a dog with behaviour issues. Because how much I'm looking into him and how much I'm trying, I just can't find it. Everyone keeps telling me about his issues, about how he is dominant. And all I get is a dog that loves kisses and cuddles, is very submissive when I greet him and is easy to calm down once you understand him.

I completely trust all the other staff and know they also have seen his happier side. But even if I don't want to, it still makes my feel like I'm the only one that understands him. I'm not the only volunteer there that works with the dogs, I know everyone doing is all their best the can and I know it's unfair to think but... sometimes I cannot shake of this feeling that I'm the only one that's willing to put all my energy into him trying to find a home beyond just the work I'm doing there. Which is the very reason I have such a hard time leaving him alone. Just knowing that he is currently in the shelter makes me want to be there every day. I can't stand not being there for even a single day.

So weirdly enough, I'd like him to show this nastier side to me. That might just give me that one kick in the butt that stops making me feel so obsessed about him. Which is a weird thing to say really. I'm surprised I actually just typed that, I didn't even realised that up to now. But I know it's true.

I don't blame you for wanting to see this behaviour for yourself. Let's face it you've been hearing tales of a dog that doesn't fit what you see yourself and as a result it's been eating away at you trying to guess what's going on. It does make perfect sense that you'd want to see it as it's really the only way you'll get to understand what happens and more importantly.....why it happens. Once there's an answer to why it happens, people can start to work towards a solution.

And I can understand your close attachment to him. I'm a mother, lol. All that time spent working together and caring for him and You've bonded with him and likewise he to you, that does make you feel incredibly close and is a powerful feeling in its own right. Not too unlike the bond between a parent and child. [emoji2]

I can understand that.  You have been told what a bad dog he is and somehow you need to see it for yourself.

We had the same issue with Snow, he was supposed to be this aggressive 4 month pup!  Well I've never seen it, yes he is naughty, he steals shoes and hats and completely refuses to let go of a ball, shoe or hat, but as for aggression, no!

I think Gijs is meant to be with you ;)