Injured Paws

mydiamond

OK panic Liv is gone. Time for logical Liv to step in. So Dime got all four of his paws hurt, two worse than others. We've cleaned it with antibacterial soap and treated it with spray-on antibiotics but I'm worried about taking him out for walks. I don't want his wounds to be infected, so do you think he needs... I don't know, socks? Bandages? The wound's not terrible, just looks like a cut on your finger at your first attempt to cook. But still it's an open wound and I don't want it infected. Ideas?

I'll see if I can keep him inside. Dime has this breathtaking "everything's gonna be okay" attitude and I could bet money he'd be screaming for walks tomorrow morning as if nothing had happened. He's using the antibiotics *I* use though so I know it heals fast (like, overnight fast). Hopefully he'd at least no longer be in pain tomorrow.

One side of my mind says continue doing everything as normal (walks etc) and try not to fret or make a fuss so he doesn't pick up the emotions you are no doubt going through. The other side says give the paws a rest for a day or two. You know Dime the best and see what you think tomorrow at walk time.

I'd wait and see how he behaves tomorrow. Because now that the bleeding has stopped, the wounds really are not that bad :o the Rott isn't serious... but he's not playing either =\

The ones on the toes are actually on the inner side, so they don't show well from this angle, but when they're bleeding you can really see that they're one of the worst wounds

post-2850-0-63062100-1406893530_thumb.jp

No, not his pads... though I do see that Rott grabbing his whole paw :( he's walking fine, but has been laying down a little too carefully... so guess that means his pads are OK :o

EDIT: Oh great. I've just realized I got several bruises on my hands and feet. I think I grazed it on the tarmac trying to get my boy away from the Rott :o it's almost funny how we always got matching wounds.

No, not his pads... though I do see that Rott grabbing his whole paw :( he's walking fine, but has been laying down a little too carefully... so guess that means his pads are OK :o

you would know if it was his pads they bleed ALOT , i would just keep his legs clean and always clean them after walks , let the air get to them they'll heal up fine :)

OK wounds on paws are almost unseen now. But I did notice two... three things that I thought was off.

1) His ear infection flares up. I haven't checked the other ear since he's laying on one side, but his left ear is heavily inflamed and has a bit of tarry goo. This is weird, isn't it? He doesn't have flare-ups unless I take him off medication. He has just had his dose this morning.

2) His nose is dry. Google said it's just because he's been sleeping too much (and thus stopped licking his nose) but there are SO many possibilities to the cause :(

3) He sleeps like a plank of wood. He doesn't toss and turn or move around. He doesn't stretch, doesn't get up and walk elsewhere because the floor he's sleeping on got too warm. Checked his gums, they're alright. I think his breathing is a little more relaxed, but not huffy or anything. For the hundredth time, I ran my hand through his body to find any other wound I might miss, but there's none. I just see ruffled up fur and ripped undercoat. Sooooo... it means he's okay, right? Gosh I just want him to tell me he's okay. I sorta feel like he won't be there when I wake up in the morning.

honey, he's fine. I know it's a nerve wracking thing. a pit charged my girl one day when she was in my arms and he didn't touch her, but I was still scared to death. he's gonna act a little different because that was probably a traumatic experience for the poor fella, but he'll be okay. just give him a few days and make sure the cuts look okay and not infected. and I promise he'll be there to lick you to death when you wake up in the morning :D dogs get in fights all the time and the injuries are much worse, but most of the time they make it out perfectly fine. which is gonna be dime's case. promise :)

as for the ear infection, he may have gotten something in it. I'm not an expert on stuff like that. sorry :( but just keep giving him his medicine and I'm sure it'll be back to normal in no time, also!

also, the nose, I think they're right on why it's dry. he's probably been asleep for a while.

and lastly, he may be a bit sore which would explain why he hasn't moved a whole lot. or tired out from his wild adventure home without ya! so just let him rest up and all will be okay :)

I'm still removing chunks of fur that Rott managed to rip out :( some parts on his back are a little matted... guess we didn't blow-dry him perfectly last evening. It's 45 minutes too early for a walk, though I can't be bothered to go back to sleep. Dime, however, simply stretches and hugs his back legs when I showed up with his harness. Somebody's worn out. I'd wait until he's ready to go out again..

UPDATE

It's now 7 AM. We all woke up and tried to coax the dog to go out for a walk, but he's just not having any of it. He yelped when I pat the back of his head, yelped some more when I pat his neck. Then he got up, walked several steps, and let out a two tiny yelps without having anyone touching him. He tried to shake his head, but he was too careful doing it. I checked and checked and checked but I just can't find any wounds. I'm afraid he has several puncture wounds. But. I. Just. Can't. Find. It! :( My vet is out of town for the weekend. I don't trust any other vet, he's the most capable in the region. I think I'll leave him a message and ask him to come check my boy once he came back in town. Gosh. ALL this three days before I leave to the US! :(

UPDATE

7:30 AM. I put hydrogen peroxide on his left ear and he couldn't shake his head. He did this mini yelp and did this scarily weird slow motion version of the usual shake. If he doesn't have puncture wounds, he might have sprained something. The vet said he's visiting tonight. Not sure what happened to his vacation trip :o

Cheekier than a little monkey. Had zoomies and everything already! We met Dime's Rotti friend, Troy, this morning and he attempted to wrestle Troy :o

But he did get an injection to loosen the stiff muscles last night and has been taking pills as a continuation to the injection. I think the meds kick in too soon... or too much :shrug: