Pease Help Me Get His Tummy Right

Diablo

Hi guys

I am hoping someone can help me a bit. No matter what I try Diablo never has a solid stool.

I have dewormed him AGAIN in case. In the mornings he gets only dry food which is a good quality food and I have tried all vet foods with the same problem. I have avoided foods with a high cereal content. At night he gets his dry food with a little something nice mixed in such as fish. and a little bit of rice sometimes. I avoid liver and fatty foods. I have tried pure white chicken meat and rice...no change. My breeder recommended adding a bit of mashed butternut or pumpkin in his food and as a puppy it did help a bit but now it makes no change. I don't use canned food at all.

I can only think it is because he eats like a complete pig. He flattens his meals in 30 seconds max. He just gulps it down without chewing. Any ideas on how to stop that would be great. I get indigestion just watching him!

What am I doing wrong? My dogs all eat a well balanced diet and the other 2 are always 100% but he never seems to have a good tummy. I read the article pinned about apple cidar vinegar, perhaps that may help?

Any ideas would be most helpful. I know Huskies need specific foods and I have tried my best to make sure he gets the right things.

Hey Kristin. My best guess right now is either:

1) He eats too much. To slow him down, use that "slow feeder bowl" thing. If it's not available where you live, break his meal to six or seven small parts and hide it around the house. Another option: feed him only once a day.

2) I don't think you're supposed to mix raw (like, fish) with kibbles. Choose one of 'em and see how it goes.

I have thought of trying the slow feeder bowl, been looking for one without luck.

I have cut his food down to the right quantities, I don't feel I overfeed him. But yes at night I do mix a bit of raw in. I tried doing ONLY kibble and nothing changed. Im afraid if I feed him once a day he may eat me alive! :rofl: I was always under the impression that Huskies only ate until they were full.

How much does he eat? The guidelines on the bag are typically too much for most huskies.

What is in the food you are feeding him? You might have to try something completely grain free, or something without chicken in it at all. Chicken is frequently a source of tummy problems and it is often in food that isn't even "chicken flavored". I would try a grain free food that is fish based and see if it helps.