Just Some Photos Of Gijs

BlueWolf

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah. Yeah ice is very much like that in some respects, mainly not taking clues from other dogs and getting growly if strange and unfamiliar dogs approach him. He's also occasionally reactive to objects like walking sticks, poles, anything long and round in someone's hand. He eyes them warily and if it's raised he sinks to the floor. We've had him 2.5 years now and although he's better than he was he can still react on occasion.

Anyway back to Gijs. This is probably something you've all considered before and possibly are doing anyway but if a dogs having trouble adapting to a home situation, is there a procedure in place that enables a familiar staff member to bring the dogs to their own home for the odd weekend on occasion to help them become more familiar and confident? Or another thing I've seen done is to take a space on site and simulate a home environment there. I guess this would really depend on how tight space is, the rescue place I saw was a large one with access to good amounts of funding so could afford to buy and furnish a big Wooden shed so that it resembled a home. Great for them but I know it's not really practical or even possible for the majority of places.

Ah. Yeah ice is very much like that in some respects, mainly not taking clues from other dogs and getting growly if strange and unfamiliar dogs approach him. He's also occasionally reactive to objects like walking sticks, poles, anything long and round in someone's hand. He eyes them warily and if it's raised he sinks to the floor. We've had him 2.5 years now and although he's better than he was he can still react on occasion.

Anyway back to Gijs. This is probably something you've all considered before and possibly are doing anyway but if a dogs having trouble adapting to a home situation, is there a procedure in place that enables a familiar staff member to bring the dogs to their own home for the odd weekend on occasion to help them become more familiar and confident? Or another thing I've seen done is to take a space on site and simulate a home environment there. I guess this would really depend on how tight space is, the rescue place I saw was a large one with access to good amounts of funding so could afford to buy and furnish a big Wooden shed so that it resembled a home. Great for them but I know it's not really practical or even possible for the majority of places.

All his previous homes ended badly so yeah, I think that has something to do with it. We do have staff that occasionally bring dogs to their own homes but all of them have dogs too. Since Gijs currently isn't socially good with other dogs I'd say that wouldn't be a good situation. Especially as the one single thing that he needs (or at least needs in the first few weeks) is his own space, time and not too much stimuli around him. I'd love to see a shelter with a more home-like environment (much like Dierenthuis does it. It's basically a livingroom with three connected huge rooms and a big garden). But yeah... space.

The dogs are actually only inside during the night by the way. Throughout the day they can be outside, there are no neighbourhoods nearby so no noise complaints. Problem is though that with all the noise all Gijs does is running back and forth in front of the fence. I can literally open the door and he just won't notice. It's only when I take him on the enclosed field behind the shelter or out for a walk he's able to relax.

Today I received the biggest hug of Gijs I've ever had!  :o Took him on a 4 mile hike and when I brought him back he suddenly stood up on his back legs and put his front paws on both my shoulders. Suddenly he stood there as tall is I am. And we just stood there, looking at each other. Or at least until he decided to give me a huge lick on my face anyway  :lol: For a dog that came here all scared and unsure of people, I think this is the biggest 'compliment' I've ever had. Had a great play with him afterwards with a blanket that I was suppose to dry him of with, lol. Every time I come there he seems to come up with something new.

A few people I talked to on a GSD forum have hinted his issues may be caused by something medical. The behaviourist at the shelter was thinking along the same lines as the stories all agree on that he bit when someone was petting him. It could be a hint that he may have neck or back problems. So today he's been at the vet for most of the day, being poked and pricked in all possible locations and a couple of other tests.

Wasn't expecting it but the moment I heard he was at the vet (who even hinted they may have to muzzle and/or sedative him during the tests) it gave me a really bad feeling through the rest of the day. I felt so bad for him, I never have been so worried about an animal before :(

The results came back all positive. So it's good news there's nothing wrong with him but we still don't know what truly caused it. But at least we can rule this one out now.

:up: well that's one thing we know it isn't. Running with the medical reasoning a little bit longer. Did they talk about conditions affecting the brain that might cause inconsistent behaviour patterns?

Not that I know of. I've had a short call from the shelter giving me the results (yes, they're actually calling me now for things regarding Gijs. Love them  :up: ) but haven't heard the full details yet. I know they were going to see if they had any sore points and possible do an X-ray if anything turned up. I will head over to the shelter tomorrow probably (I'm in need of a Gijs cuddle :redface1: ) and ask what the opinion of the vet was.

Was a hot day today so I felt like walking to a nearby lake and let him swim for a bit.

Walking next to the abandoned rail road again. Gijs knew were I was going and was pulling all the way. But when I stop and sit down he immediately comes running back to see if he can score a cuddle  :lol:

post-2355-0-23359800-1410546670_thumb.jp

The moment he found the water  :rolleyes:

post-2355-0-85467800-1410546690_thumb.jp

For some reason he kept insisting in carrying something in his mouth while swimming. First it's leaves, then it's sticks and then it's his own leash  :rolleyes:

post-2355-0-35821500-1410546712_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-19177800-1410546734_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-58451900-1410546699_thumb.jp

"Are you coming in as well??"

post-2355-0-20099100-1410546680_thumb.jp

"No? Alright, your choice!"

post-2355-0-07555200-1410546724_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-03387600-1410546749_thumb.jp

I think Gijs is secretly a Labrador in the wrong body. He gets to happy and excited when there's water nearby. His excitement is contagious.

post-2355-0-35565100-1410546766_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-76637800-1410546780_thumb.jp

Shaking off the water while in the water. Because... logic?

post-2355-0-62954200-1410546797_thumb.jp

If I had taken a picture of myself at this point I probably had the very same grin on my face  :redface1:

post-2355-0-02848300-1410546810_thumb.jp

While I was walking back to the shelter I passed the location were I initially made Gijs's first introduction to the forum, hinting he already started growing on me  :redface1: 

Again not my dog but walking one from the shelter again. Am secretly in love with him... :)

epuzupam.jpg

Same place today.

post-2355-0-61604200-1410547242_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-77060600-1410547250_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-92701300-1410547259_thumb.jp

And this is the exact moment he flew away  :rolleyes:

post-2355-0-98003400-1410547227_thumb.jp

Well, it happened. He finally managed to pull me into the water!  :o

Yesterday I was walking around a lake. Gijs really wanted in it badly but knows what I mean when I say no. There is a point were you have to jump over a small ditch, which he has always done with no problems. So I jumped over it but this time he decided not to go with me and instead jump INTO the ditch and racing as fast as he could to the water right underneath my while I was mid-jump. I wasn't expecting this so I did everything to not fall in to ditch and lost the leash in the process of that!  :o

Gijs, in the water, will not get out of there on his own. He will literally swim around until he can't swim no more. So as I regain my balance all I see is a brown blur racing towards the lake with a leash dragging behind him. Without even thinking twice I ran towards him and jumped into the water while somehow managing to grab the railing next to the footpath. I didn't went in entirely but enough for my shoes and pants to get soaked. But I didn't care, I had his leash again! Disaster avoided!  :worship:

So as I pull him and myself out of the water I suddenly noticed there have all these people sitting on the benches next to the water, and now they're all staring at me. I just stood there, shoes filled with water, wet pants that some water plants got stuck to and my body filled with adrenaline. I attempted to make a smile but of all the possible things I could say to lighten up the situation all I managed to blurt out was: "Yeah, he likes water...". I attempted to say more, but realised it already was a lost cause and decided to just turn around and walk away, followed by a trail of water dripping from my cloths.

Yeah, I bet they had a fun story to tell to their family once they got home  :redface1:

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I posted some photos. Haven't been well last week so it's been a week and a half since I last saw Gijs. And he was certainly happy to see me today! The weather wasn't really great so I decided to go on the field behind the shelter again instead walking. I brought my camera along but stupidly forgot to bring an SDcard as well  :rolleyes: Took lots of photos on my phone instead as I knew the quality would be horrible. Here are some of the ones that are at least good enough to see what's going on  :lol:

Waiting for me to throw the ball.

post-2355-0-51061500-1413228285_thumb.jp

And when I'm too slow he tries to sneak one out from the ball pit  :rolleyes:

post-2355-0-29010100-1413228290_thumb.jp

Up close!

post-2355-0-05708000-1413228295_thumb.jp

The least used object here is probably the kiddy pool. Not a single dog has ever gone into it. As it's been raining a lot these days it has filled itself with rain water and the dogs usually use it to drink. Today however, Gijs discovered you can also PLAY with it. He completely drained it in the course of 15 minutes! Had to dry him off afterwards because he was completely soaked!

post-2355-0-24344900-1413228300_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-34810400-1413228305_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-51017900-1413228309_thumb.jp

His adventures in the water  :lol:

awwwww he loves the water bless him - sounds like a dog in the background wanted to play too lol

All the other dogs were outside but there is one corner of one of the outside areas where they can still see me. They weren't too happy with me giving attention to another dog  :rolleyes:

You caught some great autumnal shots there Jos! I love Gijs' smiley face so much! [emoji7]

He's always smiling, lol. He wants to be social but at the same time also appears very shy in doing it. When I sit next to him he'll just sit next to me doing nothing. But as soon as I look away he sneaks towards me, gives me a quick lick on my face and immediately looks away when I look back at him again  :lol: If a dog would be able to blush, that would be the exact moment it would've happened  :lol:

Absolutely knackered right now! Had an entire day nothing do to so obviously I went to the shelter to help all day  :lol: During the break I decided to bring Gijs along with us. This is the second time he's been in the canteen with us and he become so relaxed, it's almost scary! If any of this is a sign of how he would be in a home environment he's going to be the best dog I've ever seen.

post-2355-0-90822900-1413825071_thumb.jp

"Any food on the table yet??"

post-2355-0-32677400-1413825079_thumb.jp

It really showed that he's attached to me as he kept following me around. Unless there is food involved of course  :rolleyes: But during most of the time he was sitting next to me, glued to the side of my chair.

post-2355-0-75580400-1413825075_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-08378300-1413825091_thumb.jp

He was so relaxed in fact that he slowly started falling asleep! When he started snoring he woke himself up, lol  :wub:

post-2355-0-63718200-1413825097_thumb.jp

During the last few minutes of the break I took him to the outside field, running and playing around.

post-2355-0-28731200-1413825084_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-34590800-1413825104_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-15046800-1413825110_thumb.jp

Those ears!  :lol:

post-2355-0-55380200-1413825190_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-13140500-1413825198_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-61407800-1413825203_thumb.jp

Today something remarkable happened. Gijs always tries to create a small distance between you and himself. He'll sit next to you, but never really right next to you. You can pet him, but not hug him. He occasional comes a bit closer (a quick lick or a quick hug) but it's usually only for a short moment before he takes a few steps back and watches you from a distance again. I don't mind it to be honest, if he likes it that way I don't care :)

Now today when I got in his kennel he got very playful, pushing against me with his head. Much more closer than he normally does! And before I knew it he rolled around and lied flat on his back! Now for any other dog this wouldn't such a notable event but for Gijs this is quite something! I don't think there's a better way for him to show he trusts someone. Especially in the environment where he is right now. He loved the belly scratches and when I stopped he used his paw to get my hand back. He has never done (or allowed) this before so I felt quite privileged, lol! I enjoyed the moment :)

I said this before but I say this again now, every time I visit him he seems to come up with something new!  :lol: