Dog Gums And Zrd

HausWass

HI I am wondering if anyone can help. Our husky Diezel is 5 years old. He is active (he walks 70kms a week), he is fed acana lamb single protein dry food with terra cannis wet food, with a multi vit tablet and 2 nutrazinc servings a day (he has had bad ZRD in the past) He is mostly always ok, but over the past 9 months we have noticed that his gums have gone from black (there normal colour) to red/pink. Some days his gums are very red and sometimes just a little pink. Has anyone else come across this? is it ZRD related ? any ideas help would be much appreciated as we are running out of ideas.  

Many thanks,

Duncan  

Do the teeth have a lot of plaque? Have you had his teeth cleaned by the vet? It could be periodontal disease rather than ZRD.

Huskies in the Heartland

I think a vet check is best to get his teeth and gums checked professionally. I would also recommend a full blood panel and perhaps a thyroid test just to be sure. Following that there will probably be some suggestions we can offer. 

Thanks for the thoughts guys, his teeth are clean and defo don't need cleaning according to the vet, so I don't think that's the problem ... It's really odd some days his gums seem to be ok (like a light pink colour) and other days a darker shade of red which makes me think its food, zrd or maybe allergy related. I'll post some photos in order to make some sense of my rambled message. The next time we are at the vets we will ask for a full blood and go from there. Thanks again for the help. Duncan

We've got a Page on facebook for everyone who has questions etc about ZRD

called

ZRD in sled dogs

welcome to join share experiences and ask questions etc

and why not just here?

The change in gum color can also indicate the lack of iron. It would be best to make a blood test to determin what it is.

Kira had anemia and we are treating it by giving her iron. Doesn't have to be pills though, you can give her raw liver once in a while, it is rich with iron.