Not Wanting To Walk

Bings has recently decided he doesn't want to walk anymore , I have to literally force him out the house and down the street , he is fine once we get away from the house but there's a point half way round ( quite near our house) where he will try to go back home but I don't have to force him to carry on walking here just encourage him a bit , Terry did scare him the other day by whistling but he knows it was terry doing it so shouldn't affect him when he's not around?? Do I just let him stay home or should I keep making him walk?

awww, poor old man. I imagine that he is just wanting to not go too far because of his age. He may be letting you know that perhaps shorter walks is all he can handle. Our old Akita gal did pretty fine with 2-3 short walks daily to keep her old bones exercised. The last year all she wanted to do was putter around the garden for exercise. Just like us humans!

Aww. It does sound more like a he's gotten a bit nervous, if it were me i'd keep going out with him but maybe try changing the route and see if that helps?

You'll know if it's not fear soon enough as in my Brooke's case she literally can't walk too far. She wants to go out so much but once she's out she can't go too far without suffering. Walking on soft surfaces like grass is easier on their joints although it does mean more nail clipping, lol.

Good luck. Xxx

Maybe the long walks with the Huskies are getting a bit much for the old guy

Can you try taking him on his own for shorter walks ?

• 2 weeks later...