Worst Nightmare - Okay Ending

Jase

... urghh, I didn't know whether this was a steam or sunshine post??

So anyway, my worst nightmare happened this afternoon. I went to take Ronin for his walk, I popped him in his harness checked the clip fastener (or so I thought) and clipped on his lead. While I was locking the door I turned around and his harness was on the ground!!! He was just standing there and suddenly realised he wasn't on lead and bolted!

He bolted straight across the road and I nearly had a heart attack. I called him and he half came back but then went "woohoo no way" and he started to bolt up the road.

Luckily there was a girl in a pink shirt collecting for breast cancer and she was a bit shocked when the wolf bolted near to here and no doubt he would have had the biggest husky grin on his face! I quickly said to her 'call him, please call him' she did and sure enough he quickly came to her for a pat and attention! I caught up and slipped the harness on him.

Phew! It was very frightening.

Please double check the buckle on your harness before taking off for a walk. 

your heart just stops when this happens. It's happened to us over the years, especially Myshka, our original & still the naughtiest husky & she is nearly 9!! It's the only time she gets a run on now, little minx!

So glad your story has a swift & happy ending. Check then check again. What must strangers think when they see a "wolf" running towards them at full pelt & the owner shouting "Please call her / him!" ?? Still, we know all they want is a fuss of a new friend lol

You use easy dog harnesses and collars right? atleast thats what it looks like in your sig

No, I use a Julius K9 harness and a Non-stop collar. The harness in the sig is a Non-stop that he grew out of.

your heart just stops when this happens. It's happened to us over the years, especially Myshka, our original & still the naughtiest husky & she is nearly 9!! It's the only time she gets a run on now, little minx!

So glad your story has a swift & happy ending. Check then check again. What must strangers think when they see a "wolf" running towards them at full pelt & the owner shouting "Please call her / him!" ?? Still, we know all they want is a fuss of a new friend lol

Yeah I know, I feel a bit dumb as I am so careful with anything to do with his safety and this is not the first time using the harness.  I know the girl will have a funny story to tell her friends LOL. 

worst nightmare I know...it happens every now and then and always when I have not double checked the clip (I do that with the k9 to lift my 2 up :D ) nothing worse then walking along and suddenly only taking a k9 harness for a walk...

This happened once with Aurora. Only it was our nephew (he is 5) who came into the house and left the door open. We didn't actually see her go out the door, but we realized it was open and couldn't find her. Luckily she had just ran to one of our neighbor's houses who has dogs so that she could play and didn't just take off. 

I remember being terrified that she had disappeared!  :facepalm:

Glad you got Ronin back.

It's so easy to do. Don't beat yourself up about it.

We have an almost identical harness to yours.

We use a lead doubler through the handle on the back of the harness and

both ends are clipped to thier collars, so even if they "shimmy" backwards out of the harness

the harness is still connected to the collar.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone  :)

Glad you got Ronin back.

It's so easy to do. Don't beat yourself up about it.

We have an almost identical harness to yours.

We use a lead doubler through the handle on the back of the harness and

both ends are clipped to thier collars, so even if they "shimmy" backwards out of the harness

the harness is still connected to the collar.

That's a good idea Andy! 

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone  :)

That's a good idea Andy! 

Here's the set up Jase

Doubler

post-1354-0-36404600-1398252526.jpg

Full set up

post-1354-0-81590600-1398252563.jpg

I'm always paranoid that Champ will back out of his harness as well, I just use two carabiners to hook the harness to his martingale collar.  I'm the same as you, super paranoid about anything having to do with his safety.  But we're all only human and we mess up or forget things :) The most important thing is that you thought quickly and got your pup back safe.  I'm happy that you're both okay.

Happy to hear Ronin got back safe and sound, Jase! :o mine is on a regular harness with a buckle and two D-rings that clip onto the leash. I didn't add any extras on it, but thought about doing it because I heard dogs can back up their harnesses. But when he got attacked by a Rotti some two weeks ago, the fact that he can escape his harness pretty much saved his life. I can't un-clip his harness because they're fighting so bad, so that harness kept him there on the battleground. The moment he escaped and I let go of him, he fled and ran back home. The fight ends there and then. I don't know what would've happened if he stayed on the ground just a minute longer. So... I don't know, I don't want to suggest that Andy's setup can be dangerous, but I think an emergency un-clip setup needs to be added.