Those That Are Single And Own A Dog, How Do You Cope?

BlueWolf

For me crating isn't about saving my stuff, you're right it's all replaceable. But my dog isn't. Once you've had a dog nearly die and need emergency obstruction surgery because she eats everything, you might feel differently about crating. I'm not trying to be rude, but I feel like the insinuation is that a person who crates their dog does it for selfish or material reasons. Mine is crated for her safety, not to protect my couch.

I feel like I can train my puppy not to eat everything that's all I am insinuating thus resulting in not having to crate her. 5 days no destruction. She also doesn't typically swallow stuff, only outdoor things but I obviously have an eye on her then. Inside she just shreds things into small pieces and causes a big mess almost like she's proud of it.

Edit: Odin did almost die as a puppy from eating a mushroom, I know that feeling.

Edited by jonnyc4t

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish mine would just shred. She must eat everything. We have worked on all sorts of training methods but she's just a dog who eats stuff. I am not house proud. If I wasn't worried about her safety, she'd be free to roam. But I can't trust her not to eat all the filling from the couch cushions.

As with everything some do some don't some will some won't.  You have a dog cam Wow I'd love one.  I don't crate my Husky and German Shep.. But I am so lucky that as a family we only have to leave them for 3 hours tops.   Once you have a bad experience it makes you so scared, and you put measures in place to prevent it ever happening again.  That my friends is learning whether you do or don't.  You can't prevent everything as I learnt when my kid's were growing up. My human kids :) If I had penny for every time they put there selves in danger I'd be a millionaire (some real some imagined).  Bella is blind and it worries me to death when we take her walking, but that said we let her of the lead and watch her like a hawk.. I think what I'm trying to say is your both right. :)

Everyone has their own opinion and will do their own thing I agree both with crating and with not crating I have done both its only now mine are older I leave them loose and because I live on my own and work alot of hours it is better for mine that said they are still crate trained if I need to go to anyone else's house or camping etc :-)