Huskys And Small Dogs..is The Husky A Real Threat

NOBELHOWLUC49

We walk our Husky and GSD off lead in safe areas but when Noah the Husky is seen by the majority of small dog owners they start panicking and pick their dog up.  Are they right to be scared as Noah has never shown any aggression towards them only curiosity.  He even had a small terrier run up to him (when he was on the lead) jump up and bit his chin, he still remained placid.

A lot of small dog owners do that with Suka, too. I hate it when they do that, it only reinforces their small dogs' bad behaviour (I have NEVER seen a well behaved small dog...)

I think they might be scared because they think huskies look 'too much like wolves', and would hurt their dogs. But they don't, they know the difference between dog and prey. As far as I know, there are only a few documented cases where huskies have attacked small dogs (and thought of them as prey). 

I hate it when people do that too because dogs can pick up on owner anxiety which makes behavior worse. (This happens ALL the time at the dog park) But I think that for the most part these people just get frightened when they see any dog off lead, it doesn't matter if it is a husky or any other breed. If your dog is well trained and you can control him/her without the lead then I don't see the issue, but many people see off lead dogs as a threat.

I always err on the side of caution with our Huskies and small dogs.  Of course, we always have them on lead, but when small dogs are around, we reign up on the leads.  Huskies can perceive small dogs as prey.  A co-worker of mine has a Husky that is loving, playful, and just a real sweetheart.  His Husky did attack a small dog about two years ago, while out on a walk.  His Husky was on lead, but he did not reign it in, thinking it was no big deal.  It got real messy legal and insurance-wise, and cost him quite a bit of money.  Almost cost him his Husky.

I was worried about Champ and small dogs as he has issues with small animals in general but he's never had a problem with them really.  He's tried mounting them a few times at the dog park which got him in trouble with me so he doesn't do it anymore but he's never been aggressive with them unless they've charged him while he's on leash but he's that way with any dog regardless of size, he doesn't like off leash dogs coming at him.  He plays with my Mom's little dog but is rough as usual so we monitor them carefully to make sure he doesn't accidentally hurt her.  I think it really depends on the dog.

Aurora actually grew up with a dachshund and every since Abby (the dachshund) passed away she LOVES to see little dogs at the dog park or on walks. She charges them to say hi and normally owners freak out and either pick up their dogs or scream at her. I have to reassure almost every owner that she doesn't want to hurt them she just is very in your face and wants to say hi. 

Experienced this also, and considering he's only a pup so still quite small himself it is a bit annoying, however I am fairly cautious around small dogs as as soon as they yap at him it gets his back up so always rained in also

Really I think it's all down to the personality and temperament of the bigger dogs

I've just been looking after my Ex's yorkshire terrier.

He's a scruffy obnoxious yappy, barky little rugrat.

and when I agreed to look after him I did explain that he might get eaten by my guys.

Fortunately my guys just had a sniff and then ignored him even when he was full on barking in thier faces.

Here he is on top of the sofa with my pack snoozing happily down below.

post-1354-0-40801500-1408374650.jpg

Andy I love your photo.... Maybe I should print off and pin it to trees so small dog owners can see that there dog is as safe with a Husky as with any other dog... :)  :bouncy: My heart always beats a bit faster when a small dog comes into veiw....because you never know what the owners are going to be like.... Does anybody ever have other dog owners  say "My dog was attacked by a dog like that"  Do they know what THAT is.

Andy I love your photo.... Maybe I should print off and pin it to trees so small dog owners can see that there dog is as safe with a Husky as with any other dog... :)  :bouncy: My heart always beats a bit faster when a small dog comes into veiw....because you never know what the owners are going to be like.... Does anybody ever have other dog owners  say "My dog was attacked by a dog like that"  Do they know what THAT is.

When we are out walking, if there is an offlead dog and it comes towards us, My guys get very agitated.

Echo takes her self imposed job as guard dog and pack protector very seriously.

I pull them in as much as I can however I can't control how close the offlead dog gets.

My attitude is that if the OWNER allows their dog to get within teeth distance of my guys it's not my fault

if their dog gets injured.

They always shout "it's ok he's very friendly"

and I shout back "yeah, but mine aren't".

• 2 weeks later...