6 Year Old Husky

yamahar6wme

Hey guys got a bit of a dilemma on my hands i have 2 huskies one sky who is 4 be 5 in sep and zero who is 5 be 6 in nov. I used to love taking them for walks letting them off the lead and having a good play with them but after a incident where zero ran off and we lost him for 2 days we were too scared to let them off again since walking him has been a nightmare i am petite 5ft2 and weigh about 8st he pulls like no tomorrow we have tried soo many different leads  and harnesses they work for about a week and then he finds a way to pull again i absolutely hate walking them now as when i come back my hand is so sore from pulling him back i would love to buy a scooter and take them for runs that way but tbh i a too scared they would get distracted by another dog and pull me off i really don't know what to do and as i don't drive i can't take them to see a trainer and to be honest couldn't afford one as i know they can cost a bit i just want to enjoy walking them again instead of seeing it as a chore and dreading it any advice would be awesome thanks!!

Ohhhh I know how you feel!!!  Seriously - get a walking belt they are AMAZING!!!!!  I put all 3 of my boys on my belt - i wear it around my hips, it doesn't hurt your back as you control with your thighs/legs - leaving hands free to take pics :D

don't have any sites I can recommend, but scooters sound like a great tool to tire them out. Another thing I'd consider is a doggy backpack. Make the dogs work! Let them carry the groceries for you (or your water bottle) :) they'd get tired faster that way. Wanna guess how a tired dog walks? Nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

wwwsuccess dogs.com

Start anytime - and stop the pulling. Indoor work first to get them looking at you! Carry small treats all the time. Reward when you call (anytime-from anywhere). This starts them on good recall!

Make them lie down.

Put treat on floor by foot.

When the move to it cover with foot.

Keep doing.

When they LOOK at you...click 'yes!' & reward.

Repeat till they ignore that treat all the time. Reward / vocal must be within 3 seconds.

I can throw loads down now & Chester will ignore everything even when I pick up. He gets his treat after the last one is up.

Jean Cote is an incredible trainer. Worth an investment of £36 to get 10-15 training tips programme.

Once you divert your dogs' focus on outside stuff to YOU - they'll stop pulling.

Reinforce on walks changing direction every time they look away. No jerks just 'come!...good dog!" And they'll start watching you!

Practice 5 mins thru the day..With sweep of brushing hands in front to 'break'.. and go play tugs or throw ball.

Return to reinforce good habits and a joy of a dog or two to walk out!

Never give up!

Know though that you shouldn't just get on a scooter and go. The huskies (and it's in your best interest!) should know basic commands - Gee, Haw, Whoa, Trail, Hike, etc. for starters. They also should a well fitting harness and acclimate to running. You should also invest in a helmet, knee pads and riding gloves.

What I'm planning to do with my pup is attach a lead to a bike and bike with her.

1. It's a great exercise for you

2. Your dog gets tired in no time

It's a win win solution. Just teach them to run by your side and it should be great. If you're having trouble biking with both dogs, maybe do it one dog at a time.

I got a Tug-n-Tow and its the best thing i could have done.  I use it on my bike and scooter and it works wonderful.  Its a little expensive but makes it so much easier and safer, than just using a rope. Its much easier to control the scooter than the bike, digger scooters are they way to go but their not cheap.

Robke

Fabulous - really like the idea of return/slack/pickup!

Have contacted Chap direct. Spills inevitable but with good brakes, training wheels and gradual buildup I can't foresee any more issues and I will invest in protection pads and helmet anyway. Used to do windsurfing and found I did have natural balancing...but I'm 20 years older and a bit heavier so will be more cautious!

Thx for the lead!

I may be able to get my brother to bring this with him...He's visiting in October and if I can find a 2nd hand scooter or rig....get him to bring this over with him (I can pay carriage). ?

Maz