Excited Future Owner, Looking For Tips On Becoming A Husky Owner

Vapok

(Taking a suggestion from the pinned puppy thread... I've started a new post! Thanks!)

Greetings from Boston, MA!

I have searched for a community just like this, because I am completely obsessed with the Siberian Husky breed. Wolves are my spirit animal, and I think Huskies are the closest I'm going to get. I am searching for information on the best proper way for me to accomplish becoming a beloved husky owner, and hope that by chance, this community can provide me with the best tips and suggestions.

My heart breaks every time I go into a Pet Express and see dogs in the window, especially huskies, for sale for $2000.

I am wanting to be a responsible pet owner, obtaining an animal in the most humane way. I definitely want a husky puppy. Money is not a factor, but I refuse to use puppy mills and pet stores.

Anyone have any tips? I'll continue searching through this thread and forum.

Thanks all!

EDIT: Adding the recommendations that I have received thus far to this thread.

Recommendations for Finding and Assessing a Responsible Breeder:

• Ask to know whether the sire and dam have been tested for heritable diseases/conditions - hip and eyes
  • Ensure that they ask lots of questions about me. If they don't, run away.
  • Ask the breeder lots of questions about their dogs. Any that are guarded should be avoided

Hi Pete welcome to the forum. Have you thought of rescuing, there are loads of unwanted huskies ouf there including puppies if that's what you want, Charlie our non husky was 4 months old when we adopted him from local shelter, Solo an adult so we missed the adolescent stage. There are mixed blessings, I see pics of gorgeous pups and feel sad I missed it then read threads on the challenging stage and am thankful I missed it lol. Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

Hi @wesburwj, thanks for the reply. I am not sure if there is or not. Would you know how I would go about finding out who/where the closest registered breeder is?

Like goingsolo said, most people would recommend rescue first :) there are poor dogs out there needing a home badly :)  In our case, we just got married and wanted a puppy as our first kid :) but we can't find any pure bred puppy from any shelter.  so we purchased this puppy from a responsible breeder for only 200 dollars (2000 is crazy). We tried a lot of so-called breeders online, most of them are scams unfortunately. Then we find out there is a 30 year breeder in our town. I am in NM, i am sure members in your state will give you clues. Try shelter and rescue places first  :P

The only thing I can think of is googling it.  We are not allowed to provide names or links of breeders since the selling of puppies is a big no-no on the forum.  When I was looking for a pup from a breeder I went and searched for puppyfind and found a site that way. 

Like others said, I would also check into rescues in your area as well.  Many times you will find young dogs and even pups there (check petfinder).  I never though I would get a rescue because I didn't want to worry about their past and have problems, but to be honest my rescue is the smartest and most well behaved of the bunch!

Good luck, and welcome!

First make sure that you are prepared for a Husky.

are you ready for a pee and pooping machine.

That sheds like crazy, is a notoriously fussy eater,

Needs approx 6 miles of walking per day

Is incredibly stubborn, can't be let off lead unless in a fully secure area.

Will escape at every opportunity forcing you to turn your house into fort Knox.

Welcome to the world of husky Owners.

Agreed haha! especially if you want a puppy! I haven't slept without being constantly waken up at 2-3 am for 3 months 

Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend you go the the American Kennel Club website and go to their breeder page for Siberian Huskies. Be aware that not all registered breeders are reputable but it should be a good starting place. When inquiring you will want to know whether the sire and dam have been tested for heritable diseases/conditions - hip and eyes.

Please please please don't buy a puppy from a pet shop or back yard breeder. And please don't buy a 6 week old puppy, 8 weeks is much better.

As others have mentioned a rescue might be an option and suit you as well.

Also please ask many questions as it so hard to resist any puppy and they are all so cute, you really need to think first with your head and try not to be swayed by your heart - which is easier said than done. I always recommend telephoning the seller and asking a heap of questions before making a visit. This way it is easier to say no if there are things you don't like. A good breeder should also have a lot of questions to ask you as they are normally very protective of who their babies will go to. If they don't ask you questions about yourself - run away.

Any breeder worth their salt will welcome a lot of questions about them and their dogs. You should run from any that are guarded.

As previously mentioned please ask a lot of questions here, getting a dog is a big commitment especially a puppy - I wish you well in your search :)

My advice? 

Agreed haha! especially if you want a puppy! I haven't slept without being constantly waken up at 2-3 am for 3 months 

I agree 100%, we are at exactly this stage and let me tell you man! it is harsh, not just poo, but removing worms from his bottom or wash his mouth after he eats his own poo, cleaning pee and poo all night long, and then wake up in the morning, and you need to mop the entire flat once again. Be sure you remove all wires, because they love bite. 

Remove carpets, shoes, chairs, covers, socks, from his side all the time. And ofc, don't forget that maybe he wakes up at 2 in the morning and he wants to play. ;) 

And very hard to train.

I would advice if you are alone, don't take a puppy, you need two people in my opinion. 

(Taking a suggestion from the pinned puppy thread... I've started a new post! Thanks!)

Greetings from Boston, MA!

I have searched for a community just like this, because I am completely obsessed with the Siberian Husky breed. Wolves are my spirit animal, and I think Huskies are the closest I'm going to get. I am searching for information on the best proper way for me to accomplish becoming a beloved husky owner, and hope that by chance, this community can provide me with the best tips and suggestions.

My heart breaks every time I go into a Pet Express and see dogs in the window, especially huskies, for sale for $2000.

I am wanting to be a responsible pet owner, obtaining an animal in the most humane way. I definitely want a husky puppy. Money is not a factor, but I refuse to use puppy mills and pet stores.

Anyone have any tips? I'll continue searching through this thread and forum.

Thanks all!

EDIT: Adding the recommendations that I have received thus far to this thread.

Recommendations for Finding and Assessing a Responsible Breeder:

• Ask to know whether the sire and dam have been tested for heritable diseases/conditions - hip and eyes
  • Ensure that they ask lots of questions about me. If they don't, run away.
  • Ask the breeder lots of questions about their dogs. Any that are guarded should be avoided

PM me as I have a breeder in Massachusetts that I bought both of my dogs from. Feel free to search my threads for pictures/movies.

She shows her dogs and produces many, many champions.

Edit: Pete I noticed you're in Boston. Please really take into consideration the breed. I understand you did a lot of research but even still I feel like people don't truly know what they are getting themselves into when buying a Husky. My two dogs are a legitimate second full time job but I would not have it any other way. More often than not I cancel or reject plans to tend to my dogs.

I have Facebook friends that see my pictures/videos of my dogs and are instantly drawn to them because they look like wovles and all of my pictures/movies show them at their best. I cannot stress enough how much work this breed is. Living in Boston could be tough with this kind of dog.

If you haven't read this already, I pass this over to EVERY person who asks me if a Siberian is a good fit for them: