Where To Start?

si3po

Hi all, can anybody help with Mya's upset tummy?

Mya, our 3 and 1/2 yr old, is a rescue and has always been fed processed foods - at the Rescue Centre it was Chappie wet/dry mixed (terrible quality, I know), before that we're told she had Bakers Complete (just as bad I understand) and most recently with us is been P@H's Wainwrights trays with Arden Grange kibble which, I'm lead to believe, is of a higher quality in comparison.

Ever since we've had her, we've come to find that unless she's fed on the Chappie mix, she gets a very upset tummy and had loose stools. We'd been told by the rescue centre that we should try a higher grade (not hard compared to Chappie!) gluten & wheat free food for her to help settle her tummy down, but we're nearly a month on with a strict diet of the p@h ww trays and AG kibble and still getting intermittent loose stools. We'd hate to go back to feeding her the Chappie, as even our vet says it's bad for her. We've even been asked to try M&C "Stool Firm-um" tablets, and although they helped firm her up a bit, we know that can't be a permanent solution.

I've spoken to many husky and malamute owners I've met whilst out and about now and then, and it seems the majority had been feeding BARF from puppy age.

Having discussed many things now with thevet, we've now been recommended to try it to settle Mya's sensitive stomach, but have only been told what to feed her. Not when, how, or even how much....

I know there's a thread on here already discussing BARF diet, and I've read and got as much information as possible from it that I could. However, I still have a few questions to ask about it all...

- Can we change her diet overnight?

- Is it all raw meat or do I cook anything?

- Can she really have a whole raw chicken...

In fact, I think the only thing I know now after the thread here is that i should not mix kibble and raw meats on the same day, but can they be mixed during the week at all?

P.S. This is Mya taken only a few days ago. f76648e9831e6db1bfa9229ed948e0ed.jpg

I haven't fed BARF I do 'prey model raw' the volume to feed is around 2-3% of body weight per day. But you just need to monitor whether they are gaining or losing too much weight. Are you considering pre-made BARF or are you going to make it yourself? 

- Can we change her diet overnight? 

It really depends on the dog, perhaps give a raw chicken wing with some of the old food to start with, either way chicken may be easier to digest so it is often recommended as a good starting food. As your dog gets an upset stomach there will probably be a period of messy adjustment. If you can get a good quality pre-made BARF it might be worth using this initially and then you can decide to either make your own or go fully raw. Hopefully the UK people will know who supplies quality BARF.

- Is it all raw meat or do I cook anything?

All the meat and bones and organs are raw, if you are going to add vegetables, they should be grated, pureed or steamed and mashed. If your are buying pre-made, you just defrost and feed.

- Can she really have a whole raw chicken...

Yes, but the quantity will be too high and you ideally want some organs in the meal or at least some organs during the weekly intake.

In fact, I think the only thing I know now after the thread here is that i should not mix kibble and raw meats on the same day, but can they be mixed during the week at all?

I don't subscribe to this theory, but it really depends on the dog, my dog was raised on mixed for every meal up to around 7 months, but I personally think fully raw is better now. You mention that your dog gets an upset stomach easily so mixing will probably not suit your dog. I won't bore you with my views on this and the link that Andy showed has some very good information.

It may seem daunting at first but it really is quite easy.

Jase, many thanks for such an informative answer! So much so now I have more questions for the BARF feeders in the UK!

For example are there any local suppliers to Hampshire, is pre-prepared better/cheaper than fresh meats, is it better to feed whole bone or ground and finally when starting her off onto barf should we start with chicken only, if so what part - breast, leg, 1/4 joints, wings?