Less Energy In Heat + Abortion

MarkoMKD

I want to ask 2 question.

1.When females are in heat,they have less energy?

- My girl is not pulling that much on harness,and is not pulling for other dogs like she knew to. So there are 2 answers,it's the heat,or she is learning fast.

2.In case of pregnancy in heat,is the abortion possible ? How safe it is ? Is it surgical ?

3.Are there any symptoms for pregnancy ? 

I want to ask 2 question.

1.When females are in heat,they have less energy?

- My girl is not pulling that much on harness,and is not pulling for other dogs like she knew to. So there are 2 answers,it's the heat,or she is learning fast.

2.In case of pregnancy in heat,is the abortion possible ? How safe it is ? Is it surgical ?

3.Are there any symptoms for pregnancy ? 

1. I'm not sure, I've never had a female dog before.

2. Yes, abortion is possible. But it comes with risks and can be dangerous. They give a shot that will abort the pregnancy, but as I already said, it is dangerous. The best way is prevention (ie: get her spayed)

3. Again, I've never had a female dog, but I can say what I've heard: usually they will start 'denning', their nipples will be bigger and may look swollen. There are more signs, but those are all that I can remember.

Um, I'm not too sure about the exact behaviours of female dogs in heat as it's not something I'm used to dealing with. All of my females have thankfully been spayed and so don't have seasons/heats.  So much easier! :D  I have heard though that they can be quite clingy and a little bit grumpy at times but i'm sure other people will know more about this than I do.

It can be hard work trying to keep your female in season dog away from other males as I've heard that they will be very, very keen to escape and mate.  So would strongly advise being extra vigilant when she's in season and avoiding any situations where there's a possibility she could mate with an intact male and just generally keeping a close eye on her.  I've heard of products such as "bitch spray" that is supposed to help mask the smell a little bit but using that alone won't deter all males so being extra careful is definitely what i would advise.

If the worst happens and she does somehow end up mating with a male, then you can get an emergency contraception from your vet, I think i've heard it's called a 'missmate' shot? i don't really know too much about it other than timing is important.  I've also heard not to separate them if they do mate as you could potentially end up causing damage to them.  

From what i saw when she met another male husky,he was going in position for mating,but she was keeping her tail down and sit immediately on the ground. Looked very scared and afraid,i think she still won't allow any males to mate but still i will keep close watch on her.

Also will ask tomorrow at the vet for the missmate shots..

Thanks for the answers

Good luck, you'll probably feel at some point like you need eyes in the back of your head as I've heard they can be pretty cunning and dedicated at escaping when they want to mate. 

I think that what you said earlier about adding extra security to the fences in your back garden was a good idea and should hopefully make it harder for other dogs to get in aswell as Bella get out but still be carefull as I've heard stories of dogs mating through the bars on either side of a fence so that's something to be aware of too.

Seems it would less headache to have her spayed before the next go around. Just saying.

Huskies in the Heartland

Having a litter can actually put them more at risk for some types of health problems not to mention the risks of complications that could arise from the pregnancy.

it's not something I would advise for many reasons. Spaying also reduces the risks of mammary cancer and pyometria.

I heard it's good for health to have babies once before spaying.. 

Marko that is simply a saying used by backyard breeders to justify having a litter of puppies they can sell.

Yes being in season can make them have less energy

You can get a missmate jab but if u ask me it's just easier to keep them away from other dogs whilst in heat

And having a litter before spaying is not the best practice , some females can die whilst giving birth my girl has never had a litter and has been spayed n to be honest that's probably healthier and cheaper too because if u plan on breeding she'll need her hips and eyes scoring and you'll need thousands of pounds put aside incase she needs a c-section which is very common in dogs giving birth

I am having my GSD Bella spade at Christmas, we have had to wait for her to be confident to be left.  As lovely as puppies are the worry of homing the pups and the potential health problems for the mum far out weigh the stress Bella will have to go through being spade.  As she is blind she is far more dependent on us for security. Love her. :angel:

I heard it's good for health to have babies once before spaying..

Did not hear that from me. It's what I call a myth. I know of no evidence to support that concept.

But there are many good reasons,those little cute ball furs ^^ 

Also spreading her pack ? 

I will ask for all treatments and if it's cheap in my country,i will do it,but won't sell the puppies,give them to my friends who want to have a dog because every fool can buy a dog and treat it not very well,especially here in my place.