Husky Ears

mizz

I'm sure this has been asked a lot..

One week ago I got a 6 week old husky malamute, her ears were pointed and straight, within the last 3 days her ears have started to flop over and now are completly floppy. Iv been careful not to play with her ears but it seems to had no effect. What do you think the chances are of them coming back up?

Also iv read about "glueing" (human grade surgical glur and strips) to their ears for months.

What are your thoughts about it, with or agaisnt it? If with, what age is approiate to start or if not, why not?

First picture is a week ago, second is from today.

post-12268-0-08842100-1408928596_thumb.j

post-12268-0-16384500-1408928621_thumb.j

OK I've never have a puppy before but *definitely* do not do anything to those ears. She's only six weeks old, she has plenty of time don't you think?? Let it be, and just wait.

EDIT sorry I freaked out :o I should've said this first: hi, welcome to our community. You got yourself a gorgeous pup! :) Though if I may ask, can you tell me where did you get her from? I'd hold back the reason why I ask until you answer.

Just because I can.

The ears flopping over is completely normal...they will point back up in a month or two. I would never, never, never glue their ears...I have never heard of anyone doing that to be honest.  I would let nature take it's course. 

She is adorable by the way!!!

Hi thank you guys for the fast reply!

I got her from a puppy shop, I wasn't completely after a puppy ( was getting a collar for my older lab ) but when I saw her I fell in love. Also she was quiet under weight, I could feel her ribs and I knew I could give her a good home as iv had puppies before, she needed a decent feed and no cage. I asked the guy about her parents, he said they were a pure husky and pure malamute.

I think I will wait and see how her ears go, I would love for them to stand back up but if all advise is against glueing things then floppy ears it shall be.

OK so here comes the reason why I ask: when a dog is young, there's very little pointers about what breeds are in their blood. The fact that you got her from an unreliable source mean that there's a chance of her having more than just a Husky and a Malamute in her. She *might* have something else in there with a floppy ear. So if you notice those ears never stand up, that might be the case :)

One last thing: I thought pet stores in Australia don't sell puppies anymore. Is that something you can report?

That is always a possibility, i just hope not lol

Many stores sell puppies but I think the regulations have been tightened up regarding where those puppies have come from eg. Puppy farms

Since then I have noticed less and less pet stores carrying animals inside shopping centers/malls

This place is itself is called puppy world ( idk if naming is allowed, not advertising as i dont particually like them from the condition she was in )which was full of pups

Welcome aboard!

She is gorgeous!

A lot of places in Sydney are being petitioned to stop selling animals and some have agreed to it but others have refused.

The pet shop down the road from me only do adoption drives for rescues which I love! And there awesome!

Puppy world has a bad rep for the condition of there animals which is so sad.

Anyway back to topic I agree with everyone else leave her ears there fine and she looks super cute with floppy ears!

Oh and what's her name? You didn't say

Welcome! She is really gorgeous! My boys ears were up straight at 8 weeks and then one flopped for a while and then went back up. At one point his ears weren't even the same size! ha ha! They are perfect now.

I would avoid taping ears. I own Yorkies and many people do this to them and it's just something I personally disagree with.

She is very young still give her some time for the ears to develop. Well done for giving her a loving home. I'm sure she will be very happy with her new family! Keep us updated as to how she goes we love pictures!

They sill stand back up. Same thing happened to our boy when he was 6-8 weeks old and they went back up around 16-20 weeks. Don't worry, this is normal.

Gluing is usually done after docking (savage ear cutting) and done usually with Dobermans, Great Danes, etc.

Let nature take it's course.

Sent from my iPhone, wishing I was camping...sigh...

2005 Rockwood Premier Highwall 2518g

Welcome to the BEST husky forum in the World.

As others have said all  quite normal they will soon perk up and then accellerate in the "Bat" eared stage

where the ears look HUGE compared to the rest of the pup.

post-1354-0-32160300-1405679619_thumb.jp

Welcome to the BEST husky forum in the World.

As others have said all  quite normal they will soon perk up and then accellerate in the "Bat" eared stage

where the ears look HUGE compared to the rest of the pup.

Ha ! My girls over a year old and they still look big lol