Croup?

Bambi92

Hi all

Just wondering if any one knows of anything that would help phoenix my poor baby comes to Canberra for the first time and he can't really do anything because he's come down with croup I'm taking him to the Dr this afternoon just to make sure it's not worse then it seems and see if they will do anything I think the only thing that they can do ish steroids? Phoenix hasn't had croup before so not sure what else could be done for him.

Are there any things that might help him?

he didn't sleep much last night because he kept coughing from about 2am till 5.30am he hasn't been to bad today but still coughing

Oh dear poor Phoenix. 

Medicine grade Manuka Honey is apparently very good, fed off the spoon not heated. You can get it at health food shops anything UMF 12+ is considered medicinal and it goes up in price the higher the UMF rating. 

Oh dear poor Phoenix.

Medicine grade Manuka Honey is apparently very good, fed off the spoon not heated. You can get it at health food shops anything UMF 12+ is considered medicinal and it goes up in price the higher the UMF rating.

I'm 10 mins walk from manuka lol on my little walk we just went on to find a Dr (found it they didn't have any appointments) all I found was food shops and clothes shops this place has to be the silliest places I've been to lol

Would Coles or woolies have it? Or would best bet be find a health food shop some where here?

What does it do? I'm guessing something to do with helping the throat?

This Manuka is from New Zealand. I doubt any of the supermarkets will have it. Even if they call it Manuka it will probably be heat treated which kills all of the active enzymes that make the honey great medicine. I would say you need to go to a health food store. 99% of Supermarket honeys are no good for medicine.

Jarrah honey is also excellent but either honey MUST be raw and unprocessed. 

As far as what it does, it has soothing properties for the throat, kills off nasty bugs as it has antibiotic properties without affecting gut flora. It really is super stuff, not only for humans but great for doggies.

I used it when Ronin had a cough and he was good after a few days, we also give it to my daughter when she gets a cough or sore throat.

Sounds like awesome stuff will have a look for it.

I normally put w teaspoon of 'normal' honey in my tea when I have a sore throat helps it for a bit.

how much do I give him if I find it?

I'll look up on Google if there is one close to here it took us half hour to find a woolies yesterday.

Just try and feed it off a teaspoon and that is about all you will need 3 or 4 times a day. Don't put this good honey in tea as the heat destroys the active enzymes.

and yeah google Manuka honey and you will get a heap on info.

I just googled it it's used for a lot of stuff didn't think honey would be used for so many things.

I found to places that have health food shops not sure if they will be open by the time we get there this afternoon but hopefully they will be and they have it lol

Thank you for the info :)

my alyssa had croup.

she had it so severe we didnt know it was that bad untill next day and she still ended up hospitalised for a night.

its horrible

It's horrible. So far he hasn't been to bad last night thankfully just tossed and turned all night :(

Jase one shop I went to didn't have any left and the other didn't know what I was talking about (great shop that was lol)

Sorry I haven't updated.

We found a Dr that was 40 mins away waited 2 hours to see the Dr he gave him some steroids and some cough medicine he's been OK still coughing but not as bad once it gets cold he started coughing :(

The drs up here are nothing like Sydney we have medical center that's are covered by medicare but up here the one we went to is the only one on this side of Canberra and Canberra is very small when you think about it lol

Were leaving here tomorrow afternoon yay I get to see my babies I think phoenix misses Sasha he gets up every morning and taps on the bed saying sash which he died to get her to come to him at home lol

The honey works a treat, but if the cough is really severe you could steam, I know it sounds strange but the warm moist air makes it easier to breathe, I remember doing this when my cousin was a baby, I sat in the bathroom with the hot tap on full, the shower on lava heat and a kettle boiling in the corner with him in my arms, made the difference between going back to hospital and staying at home.

The honey works a treat, but if the cough is really severe you could steam, I know it sounds strange but the warm moist air makes it easier to breathe, I remember doing this when my cousin was a baby, I sat in the bathroom with the hot tap on full, the shower on lava heat and a kettle boiling in the corner with him in my arms, made the difference between going back to hospital and staying at home.

I normally use his nebulizer it works but it's at home. When I have a shower i take him into the bathroom with me it helps him a bit he's been good so far today it's just his nose he coughed a few times but so far so good.

A home neb usually means asthma/COPD, if that the case you need to go back to that Dr and slap him, a child with a chronic illness should NEVER wait. I am so pissed right now, it's a good job your on the other side of the world or I would do it for you !!!

My mum suffers with it badly, has to use the neb every 4 hours night and day, the first couple of times she went with blues and twos my kids were terrified, after 8 or 9 they were far more casual.

A home neb usually means asthma/COPD, if that the case you need to go back to that Dr and slap him, a child with a chronic illness should NEVER wait. I am so pissed right now, it's a good job your on the other side of the world or I would do it for you !!!

My mum suffers with it badly, has to use the neb every 4 hours night and day, the first couple of times she went with blues and twos my kids were terrified, after 8 or 9 they were far more casual.

They say he is to young to be diagnosed with asthma but my normal gp said he has mild asthma he was in Hosp at 3 weeks old with chronic bronchitis within 5 mins of being in Hosp he was on high flow oxygen and the Dr said on the way out of the room (not to me but within hearing distance) that he didn't think phoenix would make it I was so angry not only did that Hosp treat me like crap while I was in labor they topped it off with that comment I'll never take him back there.

It's normal here (Sydney and Canberra) to wait for drs if you're bleeding, have broken bones or have breathing difficulties you get seen quicker but if it's anything else you have to wait even if you go to ED the day I took phoenix in at 3 weeks we waited 20 mins in triage and another almost hour before he was taken in if he was taken in earlier he might not have ended up so bad they only took us in because I made a massive scene and told them if anything happens to him they'd have even bigger problems.

GRRRRR Drs can be such butt heads!!

there are many ways to deal with them, I start out nice, then turn into a older ( slightly) version of the girl from the exorcist, mostly that works. If nothing else, the head spinning freaks them out lol

Haha sounds like what I can be like if made angry enough lol

They make a heap of money and some are completely useless and seem like they got the degree out of a cereal box!

Just signed on. Newbie. Retired nurse.

● Interested re your poor pet's 'croup'.

As for humans - STEAM. Lots.

It's this time of year when warm ground gets cooler & temperatures plummet.

In the human(particularly youngster (infants/toddlers) the vocal chords constrict with the sudden temperature drops earlt-later evenings.

Steam - so simple yet so effective.

Get him/her into a steamy bathroom and listen to their voice/cough change or disappear. Maintain until distress disappears.

A protected hot bowl of just boiled water with a sieve or something over to avoid curious noses or paws. And don't leave unattended.

Facial saunas good too - again...do not leave unattended.

Dry heat no good. Needs to be moist.

Hope this helps. :-/