At The Vets With Sabre

mylilhuskyboyICE

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever considered having prosthetic spheres put in? If a human loses a testicle through injury or twisting -> gangrene; they can have a prosthetic one to replace the loss of one (or two) in, so as to still look normal. Just wondering.

I guess owner of a castrated dog would have to carry a certificate of proof, but there'd be no testosterone drive so still firing blanks! My Husky/Malamute is due 'in' soon. Thought I'd ask.....

Has anyone ever considered having prosthetic spheres put in? If a human loses a testicle through injury or twisting -> gangrene; they can have a prosthetic one to replace the loss of one (or two) in, so as to still look normal. Just wondering.

I guess owner of a castrated dog would have to carry a certificate of proof, but there'd be no testosterone drive so still firing blanks! My Husky/Malamute is due 'in' soon. Thought I'd ask.....

I'll be honest and say that I haven't heard of this before.  

I suspect though that there probably wouldn't be much call for it or many vets who would know anything about it.  

Lets face it if we lost a breast or testicle due to an illness it would have many repercussions and one of these could be leaving you feeling unhappy and insecure about your new body.  The aim of a reconstructive cosmetic procedure would be to help boost your confidence levels and restore "normality" to your life as much as possible.  

I doubt that dogs would feel that same lack of confidence, they're not body image conscious as far as I can see, so personally I don't think there would be much benefit for the dogs. 

Sorry - phone died - my query was - I've never been bothered by the lack of testicles on a dog before and if I wasn't breeding from them castration is better, as apparently prostate cancer is fairly common in older non- neutered dogs.

For some strange reason I feel pretty unhappy knowing there'll be nothing hanging when my dog loses his (!) - and I knew humans could have prosthetics so why not dogs?

He's such a big handsome boy...daft but there it is.....

You can get prosthetic testicles for dogs from the USA, but I believe they are really only for male owners who have a problem with the idea of castration for their dogs. I saw them do it for a bulldog on the program Bondi Vet. 

http://www.neuticles.com

I would never dream of having this procedure done to my boy.

i think I know what you mean, there are some people that would not castrate their male as it does not look right. IMO it would be only for the owner cosmetics...the dog I do not think care ...

You're right chaps.

FYI a relative of mine lost one of his in his 20's after a blow to the groin during football.

One testes twisted; his right knee swelled. A lot of pain in groin and knee (lymphatic gland blocked in groin). Doctor diagnosed probable onset of gangrene; urgent surgery - testes removed, prosthetic implanted.

He went on to sire two super kids (Mensa kids). One's a scientist, (F) the other (M) will be a Professor in Maths before 25.

:-)

You'll wait till at least two years won't you?

If done before the growing bone ends stops developing (ie the epiphysis), these may distort if the growth hormone is stopped too soon.

Dogs can then end up with joint problems and painful distortions.

If you castrated a pre-pubescent boy or one just entering puberty you end up with a Eunuch.. effeminate and ling-limbed with serious bone problems later amongst other organ issues.

I really researched this but my nursing background confirms far more than some 'facts' from so called 'experts'.

I go with common sense from medical knowledge.

My vet, thank god absolutely believes this - much more important with big slower growing/maturing dogs.

Small dogs can be done earlier.

My Thor is 12 weeks and already trying to hump Comet lol so i will be having him done when he is old enough to have it done. Comet has already been done as she had a phantom pregnancy last year but unfortunately had problems after with bleeding. x 

that could be excitement lol , sometimes when playing and they get excited they start to hump , my staffy has done it a few times playing with my girl 

Hi Alicia

He's very young at the moment and hormones not really even kicking in.

To discourage him you can use a pistol grip sprayer (on wide not stream) and douse him every time he starts with a firm 'No!' And remove him or confine to his 'den'/cage for a few mins (3). Rather than lock him in, make him 'go to bed' & then say 'stay' while you're at the entrance.

Release and ...if necessary repeat until he gets the message that 'humping' is not appreciated. (Bearing in mind if he does this to anyone (eg a child) he may hurt/frighten them)

Removing a pets freedom will stop them doing what you don't want eg barking outside! also...

tie them up - for a minute or two, increasing the time if they aren't learning.

REWARD treat of course for ALL good behaviour - silent action speaks louder.

It's worked with all of mine......some are a bit more stubborn - just like kids!

Worth checking on time scale re castration..If too early you my well have expensive issues re joints and development/health later.

Hope this helps - I'm passionate on all animal welfare. ♡♡♡