Hello, Again

sarahjng

I figured as it's been so long since I posted anything I should be polite and say hello properly, so .... Hi.

We still have two dogs, Bear and Freyja, and, after an ` incident ` a few weeks ago, we are expecting puppies around the 8th of September. ( my fault I confess, I totally underestimated them both !!!)

I know that some here have very strong opinions about breeding without full health checks, but please remember this wasn't something that was planned. Any advice or tips you can offer would be really appreciated.

Well, well, well. So there are puppies in your not too distant future. Hey, things happen sometimes, no matter what precautions we take. Make sure you feed the mother some high quality food. Often times puppy food is given to the mother to help with the development of the pups, to keep the mother in good condition, and to help with the development of milk. Please check with your vet first.

Thanks guys, we saw the vet yesterday, mama and babies doing well, although he was a little shocked at how big she was ! She's put on 8 kilos, he figures between 6 and 10 pups, so I guess a playpen will be needed. Whelping box ordered, vet and mid-woof on speed dial, I think I'm mostly prepared.

I know she has to go on to puppy food, but which one ? Any recommendations bearing in mind she's on a raw diet at the moment, the vet said to mix in a little to start and gradually change the ratio, but raw and dried together sounds like a bad idea, would it be better to do a meal of each ?

Will try (lol) to put up some recent pics.

Thanks guys, we saw the vet yesterday, mama and babies doing well, although he was a little shocked at how big she was ! She's put on 8 kilos, he figures between 6 and 10 pups, so I guess a playpen will be needed. Whelping box ordered, vet and mid-woof on speed dial, I think I'm mostly prepared.

I know she has to go on to puppy food, but which one ? Any recommendations bearing in mind she's on a raw diet at the moment, the vet said to mix in a little to start and gradually change the ratio, but raw and dried together sounds like a bad idea, would it be better to do a meal of each ?

Will try (lol) to put up some recent pics.

I don't know much at all about nutrition during and post pregnancy but anecdotally I know of a supplement that is apparently very good for lactating bitches and also to start the puppies on. I believe that it is good during pregnancy. It is called Puppy Gold. http://www.xtremek9.com/Puppy-Gold-Vitamins-Growth-and-development-p/an-puppy-gold.htm 

I used this powder for 4 months of Ronins early puppyhood and can vouch that it is a quality product. I know of a performance Malinois breeder who uses it with raw for his litters and did a side-by-side comparison with this supplement and now always uses it.

I wonder if it is worth going on a raw feeding forum to see what they recommend during pregnancy and post pregnancy.  FWIW I have never had a problem with mixing raw and kibble but every dog is different and I imagine there are many different angles that must be looked at with pregnancy.

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing plenty of research and have good experts around you. Wishing you all the best  :)

I thought calcium supplementation was needed but apparently this is not the case. This is from a person involved with breeding accreditation in Australia when asked about calcium supplementation...

"When you supplement calcium this result in higher blood calcium levels, so there is no need for the dog's body to release parathyroid hormone. If the bitch is supplemented and maintains high calcium levels in her bloodstream, the parathyroid glands shut down. They are no longer able to respond to sudden declines in blood calcium levels which is wha happens throughout whelping and lactation.

During the whelping process blood calcium levels drop as the bitch stops eating and begins producing milk. Since the parathyroid glands are no longer functional because they havent needed to be due to the high level of oral calcium provided the amount of calcium available for uterine contractions isnt available, and its why you see primary uterine inertia - treated by injections into the bloodstream of calcium. 

During lactation, calcium demands are also much higher - especially at around 3 weeks as the pups go through a massive growth stage. The net result is lowered serum calcium, lack of parathyroid hormone, and possible eclampsia.

Calcium absorption and the ability to use it are affected by dietary concentrations of vitamin D and phosphorus, magnesium and zinc.During pregnancy,lactation and weaning a well balanced diet with no mineral supplementation is better than a supplement.If you don't give a calcium supplement then the parathyroid hormone will react normally when it needs to so that it quickly takes calcium from the bones into the bloodstream to do what it needs to do because it knows how to do so. 

Too much calcium in the diet can result in a lack of parathyroid hormone and you run the risk of too much if you give only calcium as a supplement rather than a balanced diet which gives the right amounts and ratio of everything it needs to work properly

A lack of parathyroid hormone can cause hypocalcemia and hypocalcemia can cause eclampsia and contribute to primary uterine inertia.Dietary supplementation during pregnancy and lactation can cause eclampsia and contribute to dystocia. The fact is inertia and eclampsia are not caused by a lack of calcium they are caused by an inability for the body to be able to access large amounts of calcium when it needs it. If you supplement the body forgets how to turn the hormone on and that's where you get a problem. You create a greater risk of eclampsia if you give extra calcium than you do if you don't. Giving it post whelping is the same as if you were giving it when she is pregnant. My advice is don't do it."

I don't know much at all about nutrition during and post pregnancy but anecdotally I know of a supplement that is apparently very good for lactating bitches and also to start the puppies on. I believe that it is good during pregnancy. It is called Puppy Gold. http://www.xtremek9.com/Puppy-Gold-Vitamins-Growth-and-development-p/an-puppy-gold.htm 

I used this powder for 4 months of Ronins early puppyhood and can vouch that it is a quality product. I know of a performance Malinois breeder who uses it with raw for his litters and did a side-by-side comparison with this supplement and now always uses it.

I wonder if it is worth going on a raw feeding forum to see what they recommend during pregnancy and post pregnancy.  FWIW I have never had a problem with mixing raw and kibble but every dog is different and I imagine there are many different angles that must be looked at with pregnancy.

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing plenty of research and have good experts around you. Wishing you all the best  :)

This sounds great, only problem is I can't buy it in the UK, no idea why, even amazon won't ship it over !