Hubby Got Bitten By A Spider!

Emma

We were standing around upstairs about 30 minutes ago and telling off our youngest child who was supposed to be in bed but wasn't. :rolleyes:  When  A little black spider with a single white stripe on it's abdomen just dropped down from the ceiling, landed on hubby's arm and started biting the life out of him. 

I quickly got it off and flushed it down the loo but he's got 2 little red dots on his arm from it!  He seems to be ok, it didn't hurt particularly and he's not suffering any ill effects right now, not even sure if it broke his skin but it's really freaked me out!  Mainly because after half an hour of extensive spider searching I can't identify it anywhere, closest thing i've found is a juvenile female redback spider.  But that's not found in the UK and is incredibly deadly so highly unlikely to be that.  We've got an abundance of false widows in this area, have seen a fair few close up but it's not that either, so i'm at a loss. :confused: 

Not exatly looking forwards to bedtime now, keep picturing scenes from arachnaphobia in my head, lol. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spiders are getting brave nowadays!!

Yeah!  i've never seen anything so aggressive. it just literally landed on him and started attacking him!  Crazy stuff!

Just keep and eye on it. Im sure he'll be fine

lol, Thanks Marc,  you sound just like him!  :P   I've so far threatened to drive him to hospital and he pretty much just laughed in my face.....no wait, he actually did just laugh in my face, lol. 

I've told him if he gets sick, i'm calling 999 without even hesitating, he even found that amusing.  Apparantly one of us is taking it more seriously than the other, can you guess which is which?  lol.

Spider bites are usually harmless..antihistamines will keep swelling down if there is any. They normally last a few weeks. Hope he's alright.

Thank you.  We've got a bunch of anti-histamines in the medicine cupboard but from what I can see they seem to be going down of their own accord already and as he is just laughing it off, fingers crossed he'll be fine. :)  Tbh I think it was just the shock of it. Living in England, you don't normally expect to be bitten by spiders, the  fangs on the majority of house spiders are usually too little to be able to break the skin, or so I believed.  :erm:

edit: just popped back to the loo and the little booger was hiding under the toilet seat!  Good job I checked before using it, lol.

There are tons of little mostly harmless spiders in most places of the world. Only the noteworthy ones are usually possible to ID without an expert. Here you can send such things to some universities and individuals qualified to ID them. We have some brown recluse but I've never seen one and black widows are even more rare. Not much else does damage but I did run into a fishing spider. Those suckers are huge. It bit through my shoe and when I bent down to see why my foot felt uncomfortable and itchy it got on my hand and bit again. I pitched it some random direction and freaked. Luckily despite being highly allergic to such things I just had some local swelling for a few days. Couldn't bend one finger and toe.

You know they don't drown right lol

Glad he's OK we have an orb spider that made a house outside our spare bedroom window we don't bother him so he didn't bother us. We have a lot of dangerous spiders here the joys of Aussie lol

Bloody hell an attacking ninja spider  :o All spiders are venomous but the toxicity and volume of venom varies greatly - but most aren't dangerous to humans.  If it gets very itchy and starts to spread go to a doctor. Looking at the bite I don't think there is any cause for alarm, I would expect a more angry red colour if the reaction was going to be troublesome.

He should be ok. . . 

However, if he should start doing this

spidey1v21.gif?w=600

He might have a problem :P