Scared Of Explosions And Thunders

MarkoMKD

Is your dog scared of explosions and thunders ? 

Yesterday when we walked there was a park opening nearby and a huge fireworks,she went mad and started running/pulling like crazy. I tried to stop her and calm her down but she wont let me,just continued to pull ahead.

Before 4 hours there was huge storm here with lot's of thunders,i also noticed that she is scared from that too.

Any chance to fix this with time ?

It's not uncommon for dogs to be scared of sudden loud noises such as thunder.  Although my Bear and Ice are not worried by a storm, my old girl Brooke has always been petrified.  She starts shaking and pacing around the house as soon as she hears the first bang. 

I've heard that things like thunder shirts can help to calm them down but not really too sure about that as haven't tried it myself.   The main thing that helps my Brooke is for her to find somewhere to hide where she feels safe and that's close by to us.  After a while of being in her 'safe spot' she will calm herself back down again but it's not something that we have ever managed to 'cure'.  We just find ways to help her cope and calm down when she becomes upset.

I'm fortunate that all 3 of mine when indoors completely ignore any outside bangs (fireworks etc) or thunder and lightening.

my huskies are fine , skyla LOVES fireworks :/ Blaze is ok so long as they arent too close but even then he isnt terrified of them , Bings on the other hand before he lost his hearing was terrified of them to the point he would pull if one went off when he was outside  he wouldnt (and still doesnt at certain times of the year) come for walks and he would hide and tremble in the smallest places he could fit (under my bed , cupboards etc) we used a hormone spray recommended by the vet called DAP (its now called aDAPtil) its a pheromone spray to smell like the calming signals a female/mother dog would give off to calm her puppies and it worked like a charm for him , he used to actually manage to sleep during fireworks on the bed not under it :) maybe something like that would help if you can get it there as they do a collar too which might work? or a thundershirt ? http://www.thundershirt.com/