So That Was Weird...

MirkoS

Hello everyone,

So about an hour ago I took my dog out for some playtime. I live in an apartment, so I have to exercise her quite a bit. Now, we have this basketball cage-type of thingy just outside of our building, that is usually crowded, but since it was rainy outside nobody was playing. So I decided to let her play with some tennis balls and an empty battle. As we were playing, strange couple approached me asking if they could come in and pet my dog, I didn't think anything of it and said yes. Now, they started jumping and getting my dog all excited, kissing her (which was strange, I mean, she was all wet). Now, she's really a gorgeous dog, every time I walk by somebody I hear a comment along the lines of: "what I beautiful dog", "I've never seen such a pretty Husky pup" (not trying to sound arrogant or anything -- but it is tangential to the story). Anyway back to the story, so they were all jumping and it wasn't really that strange, they took their cell phone to take some pictures and to be honest, to a absolute stranger walking by it would have been cute, but to me it was really freaking creepy. My instincts told to me to run and get away from these people, as I hear stories about people stealing dogs and such. Maybe I'm crazy, but I was totally freaked out. On the one hand I didn't want to sound rude and say hey back off or no, you cannot pet my dog, but at the same time I was really creep'd out by their behavior.

Just wanted to share that with you guys, pretty random day so far.

Cheers!

When people ask me if they can pet one of ours, I take an immediate assessment of the asking party.  If I feel the surroundings are fine, I have my dogs on lead, and the person asking is a kid or otherwise "normal" adult, no problem.  If I don't feel 100% safe, I simply tell them, "Sorry, already been sued once for a guy losing two fingers and a thumb to this one, not willing to go down that road again."  They will of course, give a strange look, but they do back away.  Once the permission is granted, however, and it becomes uncomfortable for you, your wiggle room is now pretty much gone.

It would worry me to if I was on my own and random people did this especially as it was quiet that day and no one else around.  I would keep an eye out for them and maybe alert people you know.. without scare mongering they may of been perfectly innocent.

We too get lots of comments What beautiful dogs they are..  I love the kids who say "its a snow dog"  or the other day "its a winter dog".  Some ask if Bella my GSD is a husky as well which makes me laugh.. bless

i ALWAYS get tourists asking to take pictures of the dogs, especially ice, everyone seems to favour him as he looks quite a bit like demon out of snow dogs lol. it can get weird just be careful that they leave before you so that they dont get to see where your going into. 

That would of been a bit scary I've had people do the same to me except I did what Mazz does and say that Sasha bites I'd rather annoy a few people then be around someone that makes me feel uncomfortable. I very wary of people that approach us as I've had someone follow me while walking Sasha and dozer (when I could walk them on my own) they kept there distance but I never went home until they left why you'd follow someone with a husky and a solid built roti I don't know but it was scary.

Be careful of people some have good intention some have very bad often it's not easy to tell the difference at first

Well, thanks for all the great comments guys. I thought I was going crazy for being all paranoid and stuff.

I heard that a lot of dogs got stolen last year, so that is why I was so freaked out by all that. A friend even told me that one guy attempted to lure her dog on a bike. Some scary stuff indeed.