Going Crazy When I Get Home

loudlucky

So as the topic says everytime I go out and Smokey is crated, be it for 5 minutes or 2 hours, when I get in she goes crazy in the crate... I let her calm down before I open her, but as soon as she's out she literally goes crazy!!! She'll run around and knock everything over, jump on and off furniture... even run into stuff, or over stuff :(

Thing is she can be crated for 2 hours while I'm at home working inside or outside and she won't do it then... so it's not built up energy ;) it's just like she has the weird routine of going nuts everytime she knows I'm back from being outside of the yard... how she knows when I'm just outside, or leave the yard is besides me, but she's spot on with her craziness!

Anyone else have this issue??? And how do I get her crazy welcome home greetings to calm down??

She missed her hooman. She's happy you're back. . . 

even if you did just pop outside to put something in the bin :doglaugh:

It mellows with their age.  Mine used to jump around like crazy.  She would play bow and have zoomies EVERY time I came home.  I would just ignore her and most likely cook lunch/dinner and when I noticed she was patiently sitting  or relaxed, I'd come in and praise her. 

As for the calm ... sometimes it would take Jelly 20+ min to calm down when she was younger so you just gotta wait it out :D

Yes...wait - mellow comes with maturity...and waiting till she settles is good.

Chester is standing up with paws on sink efge to watch us get out of car. We hear a hooowl but ...he's sitting IN his crate when we come in and comes out only when our bags are deposited.

A quick fuss... hello ...pat sides firm and ruffle his neck, then clap of hands and sweep out and say 'break' and he knows greeting is over!

All calm then, unless he feels a treat is in order.....lol

He's free to run when we are out as we have large flap in door for access to run in back garden. High gates and fencing too and watchful neighbours.

She missed her hooman. She's happy you're back. . . 

even if you did just pop outside to put something in the bin :doglaugh:

I'm used to the other dogs just going "oh, you're home, whatever..."

So how does she know when I've been away or just outside??? She cannot seriously hear the gate where she is!!!

We occasionally leave Chula uncrated if we are going to be gone for a half hour or so and she is always excited, even if we are only gone for ten minutes, to her it has been an eternity! She used to be like that when she got out of her crate but as she's gotten older it's less that way. Now she just wants to go outside.

I've never had another dog so I don't know if that's normal? But it's sweet, I just don't let her jump. I don't mind the excitement but don't care for the jumping.