Upping Feed Intake

Aliciajean1977

Ok so Thor is on the Wainwrights wet food trays. He is fed 1 tray 3x daily but this last couple of days he will have his meal and 10 mins later he goes and sits in the kitchen by the feed cupboard ive opened the back door thinking he wants out but he just sits there. Im thinking of upping his meals to 1& 1/2 trays 3 times a day do you think it is too soon as he only been on a couple of week???? Also im thinking (now his poop is loads better ) maybe giving him some carrot ????? Can this be raw or do i have to cook it???

post-12210-0-89049300-1410122054_thumb.j

I understand him sittin there 1st thing in a morning he will be hungry but its after each meal he will keep goin back lol will try him tomorrow with 1 and 1/2 trays see how he goes and how it affects bis poop if it goes back to runs avain i will drop the 1/2 tray and will try him with piece of carrot when i do t tomorrow. Im fussy as wont give 1 dog with out the other

Thanks Nixy

Maybe try a frozen chicken neck in the morning with his meal. The bone content should offset any runny poops and it is great for teething puppies. You can do a frozen carrot in the evening too as it is also great for the teeth and keeps puppies occupied for a little while. The frozen foods take longer to chew and are soothing on the gums when teething.

If you wanted to bolster the food with carrot then it needs to be grated or steamed and mashed so the nutrients will be able to be utilised. Whole or chunks are really only good for filling the tummy and a bit of roughage or for chewing exercise and teeth cleaning.

I know it goes without saying, but if you get any backward step in the poo consistency then stop the additions. I also think that you could up the food a bit or get a good training treat to use throughout the day for training - something like dried beef, lamb, etc with no additives. Go easy on dried liver as too much can result in the runs.

ok so checked the box and each tray is 395g he is going to be a large dog so it says expected adult weight 25/45kg and age 2-6 months daily intake in trays 4- 5 1/2 so according to this im under feeding him as he only has 3 trays a day normally i feel terrible now i have only ever gone of how they seem after they have eaten if they seem hungry then i give a bit more

Rich and Kody thanks for that he is very active with my english bull they constantly on the go lol

Jase im not really sure on the chicken neck with it being raw as both dogs eat in the room together and i wouldnt give the raw chicken neck to my eb i really dont want to split them up at feed times unless of course they start fighting (touch wood that will never happen) ive given Thor 1&1/2 trays this morning and touch wood he has been fine so far he will have same again with probiotic at lunch

• 1 month later...

well ive not been on for a while but just an update on my baby Thor. We are curently on 3 tray of wainwrights wet meat and 470g of wainwrights dried food split into 3 meals each day. He is putting weight on and looking really good due to be weighed again on monday but he is looking a bit tubby lol. He eats more steady now as he started wolfing his food got mega hiccups before i upped his food.. occasionally we get the runs but more ofter than not poop is normal and formed. He is doing really well. Will be posting picks soon ?

He started wolfing his feed and didn't even chew any of it so upped the dried food he was only having about 300g per day at first, but im hoping I can get him off the wet food eventually. he was 15.5kg on the 7th oct when I was last at the vet (im hoping that's about right for his age) he is such a gannet lol  

Well I cut Thors feed down to half a tray of wet feed and 100g of dried kibble and he started with the runs again (he had been in the grid in back yard) so not sure if it was the food of the grid so ive now cut him down to 80g dried kibble ( ive soaked it for an hour) with 1/4 of a tray of wet feed........

Lorraine, for our dogs we feed pre packaged raw, but when we bring the dogs on holiday or when they go to kennel that don't feed raw, they are given wet food. the feedback is always that the dogs are very hungry, I think the tray wet food has high content of moist and even though it has the required calories, dogs still feel hungry easily. Just out of curiosity, isn't it very expensive to feed 4.5 trays per day? we use this out of convenience, but not using it daily especially with bigger dog like Molly, it really ended up in big sum.

I was wondering why you'd want to feed both dry kibble and wet food? Why not feed just kibble and give wet food as occasional treat etc? it might be easier for the stomach? just my 2cents.

Lol jen yes you are right its £10 a box of 12 trays Thor was having 3 a day. He was on dry kibble but because he had runs a lot vet sugested wet feed as kibble might be too rich for him so we put him on wet and he firmed up but like you say expensive so trying to get him back on dry so its introducing it back in. Im hopin that it will work its the same make and flavour as the wet feed. fingers crossed

I don't know why his stools have gone runny since you dropped the amount of wet. You mentioned about mince in the raw thread and I just thought I would say that I am not sure if mixing the raw with kibble is going to suit Thor? It was great for Ronin, but he never had loose stool issues, so I just wanted to make sure that I was not encouraging something that might cause more problems in your case.

It is quite possible that he ate something else that caused this setback rather than the reduction in wet intake??

I wonder if it is worth looking into the frozen barf patties for Thor, my feeling is that they will give a better meal than the wet and kibble and is very easy to feed, but it all depends on how Thor tolerates different proteins. You can effectively make up your own patties with raw ingredients, crushed bones and pureed veggies I really like prey model raw but it is a little more involved when starting out. It is not difficult but I think it can be a bit worrying to some people when starting out.

cheers jase.he could have picked something up in the garden i found a dead mouse and cat muck but nothing else caught my eye. I gave him 1/2 banana with his soaked kibble yesterday and his poop was fine., he had soaked kibble boiled chicken and brocolli for his t poop soft but formed then today he had soaked kibble 1/2 banana breakfast soaked kibble and 1/4 wet meat for dinner and soaked kibble boiled mince brocolli carrot and cauliflower for t. The veg has been boiled for a little while but not soggy so he has to chew it. Poop been fine.

Im adding wet meat into 1 meal a day as ive got quite a few trays left and dont want to chuck it away.

Am i ok doing his meals like this everyday?? He seemed to really enjoy his meals today

I have no doubt he loves the meals LOL.

I think the meals are okay, I would still mash the broccoli with a fork though as he will have a better chance of extracting the nutrients. I would like to see some raw meaty bones introduced though, as you could have dental problems further down the track with all soft food. I personally think BARF type patties will be a superior meal. There are quite a few different manufacturers of this type of food, so UK people will be able to advise this better than I.

If you are going to stick with the boiled mince or other meats, you should keep the water which will be a light stock, and when cool, scoop off the fat and use it to soak the kibble. It will be yummier and still have some nutrients.  :)

Thanks Jase. im only soaking for now as it works better for him than the dried kibble at the moment :) eventually will be back to dried (I hope) lol.....

With the raw meaty bones what would you suggest? (as you will probably tell im not a raw meat person I have trouble touching raw chicken to prepare for sunday lunch) would he just have that for a meal or some normal feed too?? I would poss give it him as a treat every so often.

Thanks Jase. im only soaking for now as it works better for him than the dried kibble at the moment :) eventually will be back to dried (I hope) lol.....

With the raw meaty bones what would you suggest? (as you will probably tell im not a raw meat person I have trouble touching raw chicken to prepare for sunday lunch) would he just have that for a meal or some normal feed too?? I would poss give it him as a treat every so often.

You can just give a couple of chicken necks or a chicken wing - I feed them frozen  :)