Aliciajean1977

Advice Please

Does anyone else leave their babies out of the crate when they go out?? im thinking of trying Thor while im out as ive had neighbours saying they can hear him creating when im not in but im thinking its because comet is roaming free and as they as really close im thinking it like a separation thing????

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are not crated at all apart from when we are camping...It is a bit of training that we did starting with 1 min then 2, 5, 10, 15, 20 etc etc and every time with the same command: "Are you going to watch the house for us" and a treat. when we come back in "did anybody come in"and a treat... we can leave them for about 6 hrs...they do need a potty break before we do a long one...

and our next door peeps would complain if the howled and made a lot of noise...:D they are just like that their dog barks all the time when they are gone but we do not say anything about it...

oh and for the first few times hide the bin and everything they could get into that you do not want LOL

I'm exactly the same as Rob.

My guys are never crated at home.

However I do have a fully secure 150 ft garden and a large dog flap through which they have 24/7 access to the garden

for playing and pooping etc

I started leaving Ronin out of his crate at around 6-7 months. I was just too worried before that he would chew a cord or swallow something and choke. Now he is fine. I use a baby gate so he only has access to the main room we all use.

Mine have never been crated but equally I'm pretty much at home with them all day.  When we had the one, he could be left for 3-4 hours with the run of the house, he was fine apart from one time he ate a dictionary :)

When we had two the first was much happier but I rarely left them on their own, apart from the school run which was 10 minutes.

Now we have three, I'm deffo not leaving them on their own as the third has a problem being left.  Only yesterday she empitied my bins and wrecked the lounge, leaving me little wet patches on the floor :)  I clearly should have made better provision for her as this was the first time she was left, so won't be making the same mistake again :)

I would do it gradually like what has already been suggested, you will then see how she gets on.

Good luck :)

I have never used a crate.   Noah and Bella for the first 7-8 months were kept in the kitchen when we went to bed and when Hannah went to work in the afternoon.  Now we just makesure thay are in the house when they are not being watched out in the garden... I have a fear that someone will abscond with them :(  

They roam at will..... :D  They have left us most of our shoes etc.   

If you have stairs I would makesure that they can use these safetly before you try.

Sky has never been crated, and has been left on his own for a few hours at a time. He damaged one piece of plaster (fortunately a few months before I was redecorating) but nothing else. He never touched the shoes in the shoe rack. He would also never touch any food that was left out.

It is a risk. 

Shadow i never used to crate and was not much of a trouble unless you left something out. However when i got Skye i crate trained both of them... however when i moved into my new house i decided due to living alone and working alot of hours id start leaving them loose well it took alot of time and i lost a fair amount of things i started putting things more in place... i put a baby gate onto the hall door so they cant get into the kitchen or straight out the front foor when i open it.

I have recently put a gate onto my bedroom door due to the fact they have eaten most the leather off my leather bed and also puta hole into my mattress (they clearly werent impressed i hadnt made the bed)

Its a personal choice and up to you, 99 percent of the time my two are fantastic and dont touch anything.... this is my choice and i am happier leaving them like this (walked before i go btw also) 

We stopped crating after about 4 months also, he just realy seemed distressed & had accidents ect even though we followed all the guides on the best way to do it. As soon as we stopped crating he stopped accidents inside. We only leave him for about 3 hours at a time, and he is in the kitchen which is shut off from the rest of the house. Generally no probs with chewing except a patch of our wallpaper :S

It's a risk. Can you shut him off in part of the house either with gates or doors? Can you make sure that cords aren't available for chewing?

I am lucky in that Chula really likes her crate, and she likes her routine. She happily goes into her crate each morning when she knows it's time and doesn't howl anymore. She is still crated if we leave for longer than a half hour or so because she tends to destroy and eat anything soft she can get her mouth on. She's better than she used to be, so we do leave her out for short periods of time.

Thanks everyone ? its just in a morning i was wanting to try when i take my daughter to school just to see if he will be ok i hate putting him in a crate and not comet ? im out for literally half hour. I will try tomorrow and if there is mess and destruction i will crate him for a while longer and try again about 6 month. All doors to bedrooms and bathroom are shut before i go out but the rest of the house comet has the run of. We will see in morning will update after the school run xxx

It depends on your dog, really. I can leave mine with free roam to the whole house for hours and be sure I'd come home to an intact house. BUT we have passed through a period when he simply can't be trusted. Some other dogs I know, I wouldn't leave them alone even for a second. So yeah, again, it depends on your dog. Mine grows out of the destructive phase. Some others just don't. At your dog's age though I think it's best to crate first. Then as you got to know him better, and as he calms down along with age (hopefully? LOL), you can see if he's the kind of dog you can leave alone, or if he's simply not. Your dog your choice :)

Thanks everyone its just in a morning i was wanting to try when i take my daughter to school just to see if he will be ok i hate putting him in a crate and not comet im out for literally half hour. I will try tomorrow and if there is mess and destruction i will crate him for a while longer and try again about 6 month. All doors to bedrooms and bathroom are shut before i go out but the rest of the house comet has the run of. We will see in morning will update after the school run xxx

Haha this is exactly what I did when I did some school runs when he was 6-7 months  :)

Ok so i walked both Comet and Thor to school this morning (manic) lol. I decided to leave them at home this afternoon when i went to get my daughter. I went round the house shut all doors upstairs and left all doors downstaires open lifted the bin on to the side and just said as i got my keys "be good wont be long no mess" and left them both playing in the front room.

Very pleased mummy no pee or poop and nothing destroyed very good first time not in the crate x

I was very unsure about not crating but im feeling better about it now

I find a good routine helps.... proof here is today i went out without walking them (wasnt going for long) came back to Skye stuck in my bedroom because she had jumped the gate.... mattress moved off the bed... probably because she panicked as she jumped over but could not jump back :S (door is gonna be shut aswell from now on) 

now normally they can be left hours aslong as its all the same routine! Change in routine does affect them massively!

Im hoping Rob was very surprised lol.

I found with comet if i just went out and didnt say anything to her i would come back to chaos bins pulled over cusions on the floor she would be in to everything even pottied on my floor but when i speak to her she is fine but like you say routine i do try to do everything in order and say same thing every time i leave her and i leave the tv on for her she will sit and watch it lol

I use a crate for Astro, he had started to get a taste for walls and kitchen cupboards! I put him in with a Kong filled with juicy treats that I have frozen over night to keep him occupied, he's usually still eating it when I get in! I never put him in his crate without taking him for a long walk/run first though, makes him more inclined to have a snooze :)