Aliciajean1977

We started Zena in her crate with the door open inside a pen area, thankfully she doesn't mind her crate now and she is in that while we are out with the door shut. She even sleeps in the crate when we are home, when she gets bored of sleeping on our lap.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My other dog Charly (basset) loves his crate, it is where he goes when he wants some peace and sleep. But Molly hates being confined, she doesn't mind the crate but not when the door is closed. I am home most of the time, and she is all calm and good girl when I am around, as soon as I go upstairs (when she is awake) she starts looking for things to play with, eg remote control, glass coaster, papers on the table etc.. This is so annoying as when I am around, she actually goes to the toy box to get some toys and entertains herself..

But about the crate, when we need to be out for more than 30 mins, I put her in the crate, and Charly goes into his, which is next to hers. I leave them some treats. She will cry, and try to get out, and have broke one of her baby canine :-(

I've found that if she needs to be in the crate for 1 hour or longer, I need to really tired her out first, like running at the dog park for 30 mins or more, and then put a large kong with frozen chicken for her to work on it, and then some extra some treats and toys. She cry less than, still not sleeping but at least she lay down and wait for our return. Meanwhile Charly will be sleeping and snoring right next to her. I think he teaches her to be calm, and she is learning slowly.

Doing so well at the min with Thor, he has not been in the crate downstairs since 10th September and has done so well had no accidents and no destruction :up: I am so pleased with him. Last night was the first night without a crate upstairs and again no accidents and no destruction. He went potty at 910pm and then went straight up to bed no messing about with comet just got on his bed and went straight to sleep (till the hubby got in) but soon settled once the hubby got into bed :)

I have sold 1 crate and kept the 2nd just in case he does start to destroy everything or if he is unwell I have somewhere he can go on his own and chill out :)

Thanks for all the advice Guys and Ladies

Glad to hear it :)

I still keep one up at all times for if they want to go in (infact i took it down and shadow wasnt happy so had to put it back!) also comes in handy if you ever need to seperate for any reasons or they're not well etc or just want some quiet time :)