Not Even Good Enough For The Knackers Yard!

Val (Zebedee)

I have had a bad back for 25 years, had physio & xrays etc etc over the years, even bought a TENS machine that relieves the pain for half an hour but then it's back  :angry:  So my back "went" Saturday evening to the point I can't sleep & feel sick with the pain now  :arghh:

Decided enough was enough & booked in at the doctors - he has referred me to physio again and I have to go have an xray on my knees as they suspect osteoarthritis and not pain from walking differently because of my back.

Who here has back problems & what do you do to alleviate the pain? How do you manage to walk the dogs without it affecting you too much?

Take care Val. [emoji8]

When Paul was younger his back went and he spent days laying on the living room floor. I swear I didn't just leave him there! He chose willingly to lay there! Apparently it helped, but getting him upright to go the loo was a mission. Hope they can sort something out for you. Xxx

I've had an issue with my back since birth, finally had a diagnosis 10 years back where i was told i had "dehydrated Discs" basically flat pads between my vertebra, i tend to get trapped nerves and stabbing pains down one side of the body from the hips down and on the odd occasion my back just goes for several days.

When it strikes if its so bad i cant sleep i go to the docs and ask for a high concentration ibuprofen (small injection in the backside) this normally gives instant relief, ask them when you are there. if its not upsetting my sleep i tend to just go with it, just take ibuprofen and co-codimal during the day and a wee drop of liquid morphine at night which pretty much knocks me out (again ask the doc they may be willing to give it you, i had to beg in the end :) )

With regards to sleeping, if its playing up i normally spend the night on the floor, its not exactly comfortable but after a while the pain normally reduces.

Wish you all the best in finding something that works, i feel your pain. 

I really feel for you !

I've suffered over the years and sleeping on the floor sometimes helps, this will sound strange but most of mine is lower back pain and one thing I do find helps is to lie down with my hips and knees both bent, rest my calves on something, chair/bed/ pile of pillows whatever, and tilt my hips and pelvis so the small of my back is stretched out. It may not help but it might be worth a try,

Good luck I hope something works

Sorry to hear this Val, in this day and age one shouldn't have to suffer especially for 25 years!  

If it were me I'd demand more tests, find out what the real problem is.  As already mentioned you can try self help and medication but it doesn't get rid of the problem.

Sending you lots of well wishes :)

Hope you get to the bottom of it and work something out that works for your pain.

I have scoliosis and bugged knees I'm so use to the pain now I just deal with it but when it gets too bad I take panadol osteo (not sure if you have it there?) every four hours and use a heat pack. I also have a bath in radox muscle soothe before bed sometimes it helps other times it doesn't but its nice to just sit in the bath it helps relax the muscles works for when my shoulder plays up to :)

Good luck working everything out xx

I get bad back pain, I take 1000mg Krill Oil per day and it reduced the pain level from around a 6 to 7 to around a 3! I know it was the supplement as when I ran out and didn't buy any for a while the pain rose back up after about 2 weeks without, and went back down again when I started taking it again.

Thanks everyone, a few things there I could follow up. I can't sleep on my back, I never have since the start of the problem, if I do I have to use extra pillows so I am more in a sitting up position & stretch out my lower back but I can't put up with that for long. I always lie on my right side but at the moment, I'm not getting any relief from that whereas I used to. The physio told me to try a rolled up towel under the lower curve of my spine to support it but I still have the sensitivity of 2 epidurals in that region from during my first pregnancy 25 yrs ago so that is just an extra pain  :rolleyes:

I went Saturday morning for xrays on my knees so got to contact the docs & see what they show up. I have received the letter for the musculoskeletal dept of the hospital to arrange an appt with them (re physio etc) and my manager has referred me to occupational health through work to see if they can do anything for me.

I am taking co-codomol but they make me feel spaced out so I will only take them at home as I have to drive to go to work. But it doesn't help having a desk job 8 hrs a day. It's better when I'm up walking round, if I sit for more than 10 mins, I seize up!!  :lol:

But I will look in to other ways of curing / coping with this flipping pain!  :cheeky:

well, 10 days before the xray results on the knees (how come when I broke my finger, they were ready in 10 mins??). I have had Occupational Health assess me & they are sending someone in to my work place to see how they can help (new chair, desk, computer equipment etc) so got to wait for hospital appt for the old back & hopefully on the mend  B)

best of luck Val you will be amazed howadjusting you seating position and your desk will help you at work...I am in dubio to start working standing up at this moment as my knees and back are giving me some stick...