Long Time!!!! And A Accident :(

huskywolfdog

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys just an update i took rogue to the blue cross in Victoria and they said that she wasn't pregnant and to come back the next day so i went on the wed and firstly the vet was rather rude and said why am i here i said to scan my dog to see if she is pregnant ? surely should be on notes but any way so she felt rogue and said no shes not pregnant but we will scan her anyways seeing as you are here. so i left rogue and soon had to go back as she was screaming the place down and upsetting all the other dogs,so eventually a vet nurse came and took her for her scan i could hear her in the building somewhere screaming blue bloody murder.i got called back in to the office where a vet nurse said the head vet will be in soon. so i waited and in walked the vet with a serious face and said yes shes pregnant we have detected hearts beats but couldn't tell me how many. they said they could take her in there and then to be spayed i had a parents evening that night so couldn't so they said book her in for tomoz and we will see you at 9 am. she then went on to tell me the heath problems of not and the good things on spaying ect and said i wouldn't and couldn't cope!!!!!! i left there feeling like i was a criminal.

i went home and my other half said no were not spaying her and murdering them pups ! i soon found out that vets spay pregnant females then hand rear the puppies and then they re home them thus getting the re homing fee and taking a female out of society of breeding. is this true???? id like to think its not but the fact that it could be is scary !!!!!  

post-9643-0-27346100-1414621369_thumb.jp

post-9643-0-44447500-1414621421_thumb.jp

yea the vet said if she spayed her she could be locked in a phantom pregnancy for ever!!!! but they sometimes have drugs that work for behavioral problems but yet they wont spay a female who is in heat??? but do more damage to a pregnant female???? its crazy !!!

What. Kind. Of. Vet. Is. That

EDIT: sorry I was so mad that's the worst vet ever :( :( oh gosh so you mean she only has two weeks left until the puppies arrive? Do you know how many are you expecting? Has she started nesting yet? Are you feeling nervous? Why am I interrogating you?

I'm so sorry for you Kerry that is awful.  I truly don't know what the answer is and what is best for your girl but I don't think it can be right to spey/abort when she only has 2 weeks to go but that's just my opinion and I don't have to worry about the pups etc.

Before you do anything I would consider seeing another recommended vet, you know a second opnion.

I wish you all the best of luck 

im def gonna see a different vet but not gonna abort them as i don't believe in that i didn't do it with my children so wont with my fur babys babies i don't think she has that many as shes sooooooooo small maybe 3 ive +12 homes lined up im keeping one my brother in law wants one and then go from the top of the list down lol, they will have to answer certain set questions that way i can see if they have researched about the breed or not and will be doing home checks as well 

If it's any consolation/support..I had the injection for my Westie at three weeks pregnant...when I didn't know she was...and all went well. She had a small litter of three when next 'properly' able to be pregnant - no issues.

If you really do not intend to breed from her and she's around two yrs old...best time to do it. Otherwise you'll have issues next time in season - birches can be VERY determined to go find a mate when in peak 'heat'...that's just another challenge you'll face every time. ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sorry - didn't realise she was that far gone...if in doubt go to Blue Cross vet's for 2nd opinion...and advice what to do in her best interests...maybe they can help re delivery for a much smaller fee/donation. You can Google re advice on delivery...or find a friendly breeder who would have the know how...

Is the daddy bigger than your girl - what breed? Will they be compatible in genetic makeup...ie look interesting?

Xbreeds/hybrids are becoming v expensive to insure as companies are finding in excess of 200% more claims with these due to health & skin eyes and joint problems...start googling..

My Eski's insurance is now £8 more pcm than my Chester's when I took his out at 9 weeks old two years ago....

If you'd like any tips re delivery and how what to do..Let me know (bred Westies for five years and had a fab 'doggy midwife' who taught me so much but never enough!)

Google anatomy of dogs. Understand what happens in delivery and their behaviour.

The more knowledge you can glean now the sooner you may recognise symptoms that are good, or not, and when to call for help asap.

She may be fine and a natural mom...but reassure and keep her warm and comfortable.

●Choose a warm room.

●A large 'nesting' box will give her a den for security.

●Collect old newspapers now and if you can get hold of

●discarded not soiled sterile wraps used on theatre instrument packages these are semi waterproof - great to exchange and keep the pup den clean!

●Old towels also good - be prepared to up the laundry volume - a clean den will encourage mum to clean her pups and prevent disease.

● Thick sewing thread and short sharp scissors (boiled and kept clean).

● box of disposable latex or similar gloves

● vase line or K-Y jelly tube

●Her diet needs to be nutritious.

●Extra eggs, fish, tuna for protein and ●omega for those developing bodies & hers and continue when she is nursing.

●And fresh clean water+++ and food bowls always.

Also - learn to know how to check over mouths (cleft palate can't suckle) and visual examination of each one.

●Hot water bottles kepts under safe /wrapped blankets.

old Fleece / lambswool squares v good!

Newborn won't need to suckle immediately

● LOTS of towels to rub dry and revive little bodies with VERY vigorous rubbing length wise and clear nose/mouth of placenta (mum will lick and clean off pups as they are delivered and eat this - very good nutrition for her!) (Yuk...but if not keep placentas if vet wants to check over...in a sealed container...discard properly.)

She will show Braxton Hicks contraction spasms before delivery and waters may well break.

She may also want to be near you seeking comfort....

Notify vet / somone when this happens; encourage her into her den (prepared by now I hope);

Sit quietly by her but don't over fuss.

if there's a very long gap like two hours and she is straining a lot ask for advice...don't leave too long.

Reassure her, keep calm and wipe her face and keep water handy - she will be thirsty but not hungry.

Keep nosey folk away as this can distress her.

Only you and partner / vet / knowledgeable livestock farmer/friend to handle pups - no-one else.

Hand hygiene v important as is all hygiene.

!!Wash hands often...before and after handling her or pups....keep clean hand towels.

Clear up messy towels and replace with clean.

Don't be frightened of over rubbing (hard) little 'too quiet' newborn pups..

They are extremely pliable and resilient...and rubbing vigorously stimulates circulation and breathing.

Once you hear that yelp (it's heaven)...check nose and mouth are clear.

Put on back on knees on towel.

Have dbl thread ties ready cut off a good foot.

Get umbilical cord (pat dry) and allow at least a thumb thickness OFF the tummy to tie off cord and triple knot using opposite tie/knots. (Like a surgeon).

Cut away from cord approx one inch.

Mum may well lick and instinctively nibble or chew cord however too close to tummy can cause bleeding out or a messy hole.

Too long leaves a bulging belly button/hernia.

(You might need a hot flat butter knife to really heat and cauterise quickly...in dabs....dab cold water (or ice cube) on straight away once bleeding stops and wrap pup & keep warm.) Vaseline also good to stem oozing blood (like on boxer's face cuts).

I preferred to deal with cords - calm steady hands and let mum sniff and see her pups. She will realise you are helping and get on with next delivery.

Pups can suckle within & up to two hours later (delivery is exhausting for them too) and they have enough reserve to sleep a bit but warmth is important.

Delivery may be anywhere between 20, 30 mins ++ or an hour each but if longer seek advice in case of breach.

If hind feet come out first you may need to help by wrapping towel round both (a KY gloved finger up into canal can find the other and entice out gently; (dispose used gloves and don fresh pair for each delivery) ...too long in canal and/or cord round neck not good so you need to get them out...only pull down and back towards Mum's tummy not straight out.....

●Watch when she starts contractions and pull gently after 2nd/third contraction when she will also push.

Let her lick and sniff and clean - pat and reassure - keep voice calm and low register...

If you have a farmer friend re livestock they may well be a godsend...check out now...(cheaper than vet!)

After...Do not allow handling of pups by anyone.

Mum will need 48 hours rest and peace to bond with her brood.

Never remove from her sight unless they have perished - get a towel wrapped over and wait for her to get involved with the rest and quietly remove.

● You will need to check she doesn't accidentally lie on any or squash one against the den side.

This is also a good time to foster newborns whose mum can't suckle or has died.

Wrap soiled towels round newbies to put her broods' scent on them and put gradually into the litter...I've done this..awesome!

Don't hover over her or overcheck on her in the day.....too much and she may leave/abandon them as she will sense your anxiety....

When pups sleep she will get up to eat and drink and go outside. Stick a chair or rocker about a yard or two off and get her used to having you near but not on top of her. Read a book or something. You may want to sleep in the room for a few nights if she gets distressed with you out of sight.

Keep visitors away...two-three weeks old eyes start opening...4-5 more mobile. Check with vet when a check over is the best time due..

Start saving for EARLY WORMING all pups & Mum via oral syringe. Literally in first/second week...

V important & check when this needs to be done! All newborns have worms! Oh check when safe and what to worm mum and if flea/tick treatment safe or not before and during nursing...

Hope this helps.

PPPPPPP= proper planning & preparation prevents piss poor performance (7 P's).

Good luck from UK!

? ? Maz

(retired 63 yr theatre nurse and Westie breeder of five years & many many animals abroad in rescue rehome).

Wow thank you soooooo much peps, I've got her old xxxxl crate out and put blankets and stuff in there ive also lined the bottom of the cage with long strips of cabored so no puppies will get stuck in between, also made a lip at the front so they can't walk out its covered and dark so she feels comfortable she hasn't started nesting but stays in there and sleeps the whole time, she's got milk coming out of 5 nipples but I'm not two worried about that as I know the milk can come later when pups arrive , have brought some lactol in case she doesn't have enough milk ect also,using that in her food so she and pups are ok

post-9643-0-61999500-1414697027_thumb.jppost-9643-0-13550000-1414697073_thumb.jppost-9643-0-62499000-1414697109_thumb.jppost-9643-0-85350500-1414697155_thumb.jp

Dogs' liver cannot digest lactose!..dogs lack the enzyme for this..Please check this out...

However maybe lactose is a product FOR nursing botches..?

She will start oozing milk now..... or sebum...very rich and so important for newborn - best start. The milk changes as the pups progress so they get exactly the right nutrients from her.

So long as she has plenty of fluids and food she will eat what she wants.

Cage looks good however if you can find some perspex strips about 12-18" high to go all round this will be better; pups may suck or chew cardboard...and infection possible if it gets soggy with poo or urine.

Well done!

Ohh says for pregant dogs on the back. Pups lactating ect yea it was in case she had pups over night I will do the Perspex thank you for the idea also been reding there should be some sort of pipe that goes around the inside incase she sits on them so they can crawl under or something . I've just been feeling and they are kicking her heard I personally think she's got 3-4

Dogs have a horn shaped uterus/womb...and pup/placenta can be felt in here sometimes...

The horns can also 'feel' like a pup too!

Forgot to mention remember to count pups and equal placenta nmbrs...

Ask vet if you need any extra meds like syntocinin (muscle injection) to aid delivery if she gets very tired and can't push after a few. And whatever else to aid evacuation of womb if placental products left in....This can be a while after the last one.

Suckling aids the uterus to contract down any retained products of conception.... same in humans!

?

Good!

Canine calender gestation is 63 days. You can predict when they're due as you have a one off-tie/mating....EDA?

Expected Due Date?

Permanent marker pen on head - nmbrs 1 2 3 etc...

Column for delivery time fore each one too...

The raised pipe rail is a brilliant idea...you can use plastic plumbing pipes about 2" -3" diameter and cable ties.... ?