Which Is A Good Dog Companion For An Husky?

zannabianca

Hello everyone, 

With my girlfriend we are thinking that, maybe in a short future we could have another dog for several reasons:

1) Let Iwark to have a friend

2) Let him concentrate on the other dog for playing indoor

3) Well, who doesn't dream to have a pack of dogs :P

4) I was thinking if I take a more protective breed maybe he could in somehow control him to don't run away(I have in mind something like a sheep guard dog), a dog that will bring him back/won't let him go away.

So which breed could be good for such requirements? 

Hi Francesco,

From our experience the most important factor to consider, (when 'introducing' new members to your existing dog/pack), is that of very careful introductions both prior to committing to an additional dog and, obviously, afterwards, (remaining very careful for the following weeks and months).

We had Cassie, (a 2 year old Labradoodle), initially, prior to rescuing Luna, (3 year old female Husky), and we introduced them both at the rescue centre prior to adopting Luna and this went very well although, (as i have said in a previous post), these 'momentary' introductions cannot be relied on totally as both animals will probably regard the meeting as a 'brief encounter' and they will not be thinking about 'long term relationships'!

Once Luna came home we introduced them, once again, away from the house, (neutral ground), and walked them for an hour before taking them home, together, for the first time.

The first few days went very well but we did have one occasion when Luna grabbed Cassie around the throat when we were caught off guard and allowed Cassie to wander over to Luna's food bowl, (whilst she was still eating), and Luna simply protected her food, (otherwise Luna has never displayed any possessive tendencies).

After this one occasion there has never been any further incidents and Cassie and Luna have genuinely bonded.

As if that was not enough for one lifetime we then took pity on a very skittish Sprollie, (Lysa), and, (once again), we were very careful with the introductions pre committment and when Lysa first arrived at home.

Unfortunately, (on the second day), my wife made a big mistake and, (accidentally), opened the door which seperated Luna and Cassie from Lysa, (during their feeding time), and Lysa ran into the kitchen, (with no indication of heading for Luna's dish), but Luna was not going to take any chances and bit Lysa on the throat but, (unlike the incident with Cassie), blood was drawn and we had to take Lysa to the vet for a check up.

Luna had only caught Lysa's skin, (if she had mean't to kill her I am quite sure she could have done it during that first bite), and this was simply a warning and the vet was very laid back about the incident, (we were quite concerned)!

If that was not enough we then rescued our fourth dog, (Skye - 4 month old female Husky), and followed our previous ritual and managed to avoid any major disagreements, (although it was very difficult as we got her on Christmas eve)!

We have also followed the same process with cats and dogs and all of our dogs get on very well with our cat as well!

It is great to see them all playing, together, outside and they all have completely different characteristics!

Go for it - but with great care!

Two years down the line all

I heard German Shepherds can be great companions for a husky. Besides another Siberian Husky, that is!

That being said, you'll find that no matter what other dog breed you may get, your Siberian Husky will always be unreliable off-leash, and he will always run away or wander off. Just something to keep in mind. Of course, there are exceptions...but I would rather not risk it.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Another husky :)  

You can't rely on another dog to keep your husky in check, that's our job ;)

Our second dog is a gsd/husky and he is worse than our pure husky for recall.  Then we got a Malamute and she is the best of the three but I would never allow any of them off lead, they all have super prey drive.

A GSD in my opinion is a good roll model but would need training and that may be difficult when you already have a husky.  Like a husky coping the good behaviour of a GSD it is also possible the GSD will copy the bad behaviour of a husky :)

This is really interesting to read as in a few years we would like to possibly get another dog and a gsd is what we had before our husky (she sadly passed away) and we would like to get one again, another dog we like is a boxer but i dont know enough about the breed to know if it would be compatible or not but at least 3 years to do some research! I must say our husky is very similar to our gsd, the gsd was a bit more protective and barked at the door etc which bella doesnt! But then with a husky you also need some extra precautions - bella is a digger so after her head popping up under next doors fence weve had to dig down and extend the fence! It was about an inch above the floor before (no idea why?) so must have tempted her, bella also likes to dig in oh prize flower bed and has eaten the palm trees tee hee! Xx

I don't know where are you, but here there are hundreds of huskies and hundreds of malamute in dog shelter I wish I could take them all :o, but I have to understand which is the best for Iwark. 

What you think better an siberian or malamute?

MUKI2.jpg MUKI1-160x240.jpg he is Muki  :wub:  I cannot decide I wanna them all  :huskyfall: