Stinky Poo-Fest.

Emma

Woke up this morning to a couple of runny poo accidents on the floor. It was from Bear and I was worried that her colitis was flaring up but she wasn't showing the usual signs (throwing up, lethargic, pouring blood from her butt). So was a bit confused. I gave her her usual morning dose of steroids (recently changed to every other other day) and normally when it's colitis based the transformation back to good health after taking her meds is less than 2 hours. I left for work thinking she'll be right as rain but instead have come home to a foul smelling poo fest! [emoji40][emoji40][emoji40]

I've used the carpet cleaner and opened all the windows to stop everyone from gagging and whatever is up with Bear it's definitely not her colitis.....There's no blood pools on the floor, she's not feeling unwell or throwing up and keeps asking for her dinner! Looks like she's probably eaten something she shouldn't, silly old Bear! :rolleyes:

On the plus side, my carpets have all had a good shampooing and look as good as new, lol. [emoji2]

Thanks everyone.  :huskyhugs:

I've been meaning to clean the carpets again for a while now (did it a couple of months ago but Brooke's had a couple of wee accidents recently as her bladders' not as good as it used to be), so she's just spurred me on to do what I should have done last week, lol.

I've given her a strange concoction to eat:  a small amount of Ice's chappie mixed with pumpkin and the contents of 1 slippery elm capsule.  Homemade poo medicine, lol.  I figure it will either do one of two things........a:  firm her poop back up and soothe her tummy.......or b: make her poop streams of orange poo that will stain the carpet!  I'm hoping it's option A!!!! lmao.

My dad got them for me to try (i'm always feeling sick and the doctors can't fix me, lol).  They're from holland and barratt. 

The best way to use slippery elm is in powdered form or by opening up a capsule and making up a tea. Please let me know how you find the capsule or if you need some help with making up the tea. 

Ha ha Clare, well you have to look for a positive somewhere otherwise you'll end up in tears, lol.

Thanks Jase, yeah they're powdered capsules, I've been taking them myself for around five years now but I don't think they do me much good.

I broke open the capsule and mixed the capsule into her food. Slippery elm isn't enough on it's own to manage her colitis as she has an extreme form of it but it can help with a minor stomach upset.

Bears fine today. She hasn't pooped at all since I got home from work yesterday and I'm fully expecting that when she does go it will be back to normal as this is how she usually works after an upset tum. She's been singing to me all morning and getting jealous of the attention I'm giving ice so back to her usual self! [emoji2]

I think the steroids she's taking have probably played a part too at keeping down any inflammation. No blood, no mucous and no frequent urges to strain. Just the occasional runny poo, not something I'm used to. Such a relief, I was worried she would end up in a full on blood bath colitis episode but for the first time since she got the disease, she's just like a normal dog with the runs.

Yeah, I don't think adding to food is anywhere near as effective as making a tea. 

Open enough capsules to make one heaped teaspoon, mix with 250ml water and simmer on stove for 3 minutes. You can mix a bit of honey or maple syrup in to make it a bit yummier if needed. When cool feed around 2 dessert spoons half an hour before food or if you are do a starve, then just feed it 3 times a day.

The jelly like tea creates protective barrier and firms the stools. It works every time and normally after the first dose. 

I recommend buying a the powder with no additives. I think the Holland Barret stuff is not 100% Slippery elm, but there should be enough for it to still work. 

Yeah, I don't think adding to food is anywhere near as effective as making a tea. 

Open enough capsules to make one heaped teaspoon, mix with 250ml water and simmer on stove for 3 minutes. You can mix a bit of honey or maple syrup in to make it a bit yummier if needed. When cool feed around 2 dessert spoons half an hour before food or if you are do a starve, then just feed it 3 times a day.

The jelly like tea creates protective barrier and firms the stools. It works every time and normally after the first dose. 

I recommend buying a the powder with no additives. I think the Holland Barret stuff is not 100% Slippery elm, but there should be enough for it to still work. 

Thanks Jase you are a star! :wub:

yeah I've just been reading through the product and not entirely sure if it's the same capsules I've got now than I did in the early days.  The brand name says puritan's pride on it, tbh knowing my dad he's probably been buying them online recently and not mentioned it to me. I should probably explain why my dad's buying me these things....... it's his hobby to try and help fix me, he's been giving me every alternative treatment he can find under the sun......have a bottle of acidophilus laying around somewhere too.  It's not worked but I do appreciate how hard he's tried to help me. :)

I'll try boiling up a few capsules for Ice later on this evening as he's currently the one who will stand to benefit the most from it and also the one who will be most likely to eat it.  I won't do it right now though as i suspect that right now it won't stay down long enough to be of any use. 

If you make up the 250ml it will last for a couple of days in the fridge and it won't hurt if it comes up, it should ease the pain caused by excess bile and vomiting. Just make sure you put enough capsules in to make a heaped teaspoon when making up the brew. The simmering 'tea' will be start to be viscous and will thicken  when cool, it is like thin slippery jelly. 

With this stuff you don't need to be too exact with the measurements. Some people mix it with some unsalted chicken or beef broth instead of water for taste. My piggy dog will eat it straight though, but I sometimes add a bit of honey :D

I don't put much faith in a lot of alternative treatments but this is certainly one that I do and there are a lot of vets now that use it.

Thanks have just made some up and waiting for it to cool. I smashed my measuring jug the other week so had to use an empty coke bottle to gauge weight, lol. I added an extra capsule and it thickened up quickly, hadn't even boiled. It's cooling now and thankfully I didn't burn it, you could say I'm not a natural cook, lol.

Thanks have just made some up and waiting for it to cool. I smashed my measuring jug the other week so had to use an empty coke bottle to gauge weight, lol. I added an extra capsule and it thickened up quickly, hadn't even boiled. It's cooking now and thankfully I didn't burn it, you could say I'm not a natural cook, lol.

:D Well done