Work Experience My Butt !

sarahjng

What is wrong with college's ? Do they go out of their way to make life difficult for kids ? and parents !

My daughter's just started a Level 2 course, last Thursday was induction, and they were told they need to find 7 days of independent work experience before Christmas, but it has to be done outside of school hours.

ITS IMPOSSIBLE ! I have called or emailed every vet, pet shop and animal charity within a 4 mile radius ( and alot that are further away) and nowhere can or will help !@$!©€!

Mind you, some of the answers have been funny, from not enough staff to too many staff, a reptile shop that told me in all seriousness " but we sell snakes and spiders, she's a girl " (duh) to the ones that told me it's the wrong time of year for work experience, and the ever popular, no under 18s.

I hate to think what the phone bills going to be like lol.

Oh wow. Tbh I would have thought that the charities would be quite interested in some free help. Would have been my first suggestion, lol. Hope you manage to get things sorted, could try having a word with the tutors directly and find out where students have been accepted in previous years? Can't really think of much else to try tbh.

Good luck. X

Sorry to hear about your current challenge although Emma makes some good suggestions.

Unfortunately most organisations will now be gearing up for the Christmas rush and the tills will all be ringing across the land very shortly!

I am presuming that your daughter is particularly looking for work experience involving animals and, if that is the case, your options will be reduced to some degree but may be worth trying the likes of 'Pets At Home' and any other large pet stores, (many now have vets on site too), apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs!

I think some times they are over whelmed.  Maybe instead of asking for 7 days a longer commitment would be more attractive to these organisations and beneficial to your daughter too.  I worked for 3 years in a work experience for the un employed capacity  and had to set up these placements so I understand the paper work this involves and the time it takes with a new person.  H & S  checks, training plans etc.  They will also need to make insurance changes if not already covered.

Wish your daughter all the best. and Emma's suggestions for approaching the tutors are good.

Just a thought....but maybe they are refusing because they don't want to hire, train, and spend money and resources on to have an employee for only 7 days. I know that, if I had my own business, there is NO WAY I would train someone, taking money and resources that can be used for other purposes, when they are going to leave after 7 days. Its just a waste of money, business-wise. 

I tried to volunteer at an animal rehab center this summer, but I couldn't. They required a 6 month commitment, and I could only give 4. Their reasons for not accepting me was: "We require a 6 month commitment because it stresses out the animals when people come and go". But I think the real reason is because of what I had just said - that I'm not worth the investment. I didn't take it personally.

When I volunteered at the animal shelter years ago, they required a minimum commitment of 2 months.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Lol I love sucking eggs ! And thank you for the great suggestions, I have spoken to her tutor myself, she totally agreed with me, promised a referal letter, list of previous employers and clarification on the insurance issue (she didn't have a clue) for all the kids today .... and then didn't!

Each time I've made contact with someone I've made it clear that she would love to carry on as a volunteer after the 7 days, I even tried MPS and HARC, both are over 18s, but that's not really a surprise, I think my girl was glad she's only 17 when HARC emailed me and said she was welcome to apply after her birthday, but to be aware that she would need the full rabies course before she could work there !!!

Lol I love sucking eggs ! And thank you for the great suggestions, I have spoken to her tutor myself, she totally agreed with me, promised a referal letter, list of previous employers and clarification on the insurance issue (she didn't have a clue) for all the kids today .... and then didn't!

Each time I've made contact with someone I've made it clear that she would love to carry on as a volunteer after the 7 days, I even tried MPS and HARC, both are over 18s, but that's not really a surprise, I think my girl was glad she's only 17 when HARC emailed me and said she was welcome to apply after her birthday, but to be aware that she would need the full rabies course before she could work there !!!

I needed to get my full rabies work before I could volunteer at the animal rehab clinic. After you get the full course, you're supposed to get a booster every year. I think that's standard procedure in any profession where you are in contact with animals that can have the virus.

I'm terrified of needles, and I barely felt it. It feels BETTER than getting your annual flu shot - I had no side effects.

Edited by SolitaryHowl