First Time Mushing

mishkabear

Early Sunday morning, Mishka and I went for our first ever mush up. It was only 2k long but we're going to train over the Summer for next year's season. ArcticPower owners Michelle and Pete are the ones who got us started, and were impressed with little Mish's efforts. We're hooked now ! 

When did you start dogsledding?

When I first got my dogs.. I was a total agility gal. I wanted another shetland sheepdog (in honor of my childhood sheltie) and my dream was to be a top agility competitor. 

Then I got an eskie and husky puppy.. nope still sold on agility. I was gonna do it dangit!!

Then I got a rescue husky that was CRAZYY omg he needed an outlet for energy! I just so happened to have a bike, and a walky dog attachment (which had been stored away since Cloud didn't like the attachment and Yuki was too young). So I got it out, hooked him up, and was BLOWN AWAY. I never in a million years even THOUGHT that /I/ would be biking, with MY dog pulling me!! 

Link, 15 months old, and I, 19 years old, started our bikejoring adventures in May of 2013. I have been absolutely in love ever since. Now I scooter with 3, maybe 4 (if Lyon is ready) dogs, and dogsled in the winter. I am starting up a Musher's group for my area and holding a mushing demo next month that has a lot of interest from members of my husky meet up group. I am totally in love with the mushing world and will never go back!!

Hahah yes, quite literally for me!! That's awesome, taking some initiative and helping others get involved. Have you considered entering a race? 

I have actually, it depends on if my work schedule will work out for me as it seems requests for time off need to be done pretty far in advance.. but I usually don't work weekends (only one saturday a month) so some of the closer 4-6 hour races I may be able to attend! It's definitely my goal for this year, the 2 dog scooter class :D

Early Sunday morning, Mishka and I went for our first ever mush up. It was only 2k long but we're going to train over the Summer for next year's season. ArcticPower owners Michelle and Pete are the ones who got us started, and were impressed with little Mish's efforts. We're hooked now ! 

When did you start dogsledding?

Wow  :o  :up:

Shell is my friend and breeder of Ronin!!!!! You probably met Ronin's twin sister - Layla - she is the spitting image of Ronin and they are so similar in looks and cheeky temperament. Willow is Ronins mum and Hart is his dad! 

You are really lucky to have Shell and Pete helping you - I am very jealous being so far away :)

We are starting next winter.

Wow  :o  :up:

Shell is my friend and breeder of Ronin!!!!! You probably met Ronin's twin sister - Layla - she is the spitting image of Ronin and they are so similar in looks and cheeky temperament. Willow is Ronins mum and Hart is his dad! 

You are really lucky to have Shell and Pete helping you - I am very jealous being so far away :)

We are starting next winter.

Yes!!! Layla is Mishka's age, they had some puppy play together. Willow was running beside us to keep Mishka pulling, not sure if Hart was there. Small world :) 

Should come over next season if you've been training, we can all go to Dinner Plain together!

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the photos that Michelle put up on FB. Looks like the dogs were enjoying it.

I started last year with the Canberra club. My two love getting out to the forest.

Might see you at the sheild or one of the other wingello races next season!

• 5 months later...

Hi,

What age can husky do bikejoring?

We started training at 10 months old, short runs (up to 2.5km) and I did most of the hard stuff for her. Now she's 17 months old and we are up to running 2 dogs for 4.5km. The racing season hasn't started yet, we're waiting for winter!

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions as you start :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been doing light mushing for around a year now.

The problem for us is Dakota's back paws had to have a toe amputated thanks to an unknown injury that occurred in her past.

My vet tells me that as she gets older she's likely to develop arthritis because of it and I want to postpone that for as long as possible. The snag is that I do a yearly hike and had pictured her going with me well into the future (we've done one together so far), so I often gear our activities toward retaining that ability- mushing takes a heavy hit.