Ashridge Estate

hornet

Big test next weekend I'm off to the new forest

Be aware of the free roaming ponies.

They won't hesitate to kick out if they feel frightened.

I don't live to far from the New Forest.    New forest Ponies... Lovely but they can be a bit lively so I would be a tad careful.  They like picnics. :D

Noah Chased a Dear once when he was about 5 months old.  He came back within a min but can't tell you how much my heart dropped.  Since then unless I'm 100% certain he will be fine he stays on a lead.

Still very Impressed with your huskies for their restraint.  How long did you train them for and how. 

I don't live to far from the New Forest.    New forest Ponies... Lovely but they can be a bit lively so I would be a tad careful.  They like picnics. :D

Noah Chased a Dear once when he was about 5 months old.  He came back within a min but can't tell you how much my heart dropped.  Since then unless I'm 100% certain he will be fine he stays on a lead.

Still very Impressed with your huskies for their restraint.  How long did you train them for and how.

I was lucky, I met a women who has 5 huskies of her own and trains them, she has Rio once a week for walks and training.

I don't think I would have managed without her

I was lucky, I met a women who has 5 huskies of her own and trains them, she has Rio once a week for walks and training.

I don't think I would have managed without her

Do you think you could introduce her to the forum so she could share this wisdom ?

As many of our members have had many generations of Huskies and never managed to successfully train for 100%  (or even 50% for that matter)

accurate recall, we'd be interested in the methods she uses.

Do you think you could introduce her to the forum so she could share this wisdom ?

As many of our members have had many generations of Huskies and never managed to successfully train for 100%  (or even 50% for that matter)

accurate recall, we'd be interested in the methods she uses.

I can ask but I shouldn't think she has time for forums, as well as her own dogs she can another 5 or 6 dogs for training or looking after

She sometimes walks in hughenden which is near you, I can find out next time she's there and let you know if you wanted to meet up

I can ask but I shouldn't think she has time for forums, as well as her own dogs she can another 5 or 6 dogs for training or looking after

She sometimes walks in hughenden which is near you, I can find out next time she's there and let you know if you wanted to meet up

Thanks that would be great

I am always, always cautious when someone tells me they can train a Husky to be off lead.  Why?  Here's my reason:

• Huskies are an extremely old, old breed.  They were established as a breed several thousand years ago.  And as such, they retain more of their natural instincts than most other breeds, that are more recent.

• Huskies do not strive to please you. They strive to please themselves.  They actually weigh their options and then make a decision.  Once the decision is made, they are hard pressed to change.

• Instinct trumps training when push comes to shove.  That is to err on the side of safety.

• Many trainers are not aware of the uniqueness of Huskies as a breed, and many do not even give much thought that there is any uniqueness about a Husky.  A lot of trainers think a Husky is like most other dogs.  They are not.  Sure, they have four legs, a muzzle, a tail, but it's the genetics and the neuro and skeletal systems that separate the Husky from the others.  Forget that they look different, because all dogs look different.  It's what you can't see that really separates a Husky from all other breeds.

Now, this is all my own opinion.  It's not necessarily fact, but there are a lot of facts that support my opinion.  Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, either that aligns with mine, or that does not align with mine.  All I ask is that you grant me the same consideration.