Do They Ask To Go Out?

Chula

Chula never asks to go out or to come in. Sometimes I look for her and she's sitting at the back door quietly, just waiting for someone to notice. Or if I've let her out and it's been awhile I will check to see what she's up to and she's just standing at the screen door looking in, for how long she's been there I have no idea.

I find it unusual since other dogs I've known will scratch or bark to let their presence be known. She just sits there like a goof with her tongue out.

Mine all do it differently...

Nikko will stand by the door and if you don't notice him he will scratch at it.  If you don't respond he will do it again, and then he will walk over to you and when you acknowledge him he will go back to the door and scratch.

Yukon will jump up on the door if he REALLY has to go, otherwise he will just sit there, and if you don't respond he will run over to you and run back to the door.

Kodiak, however will just sit there.  No sound, scratch or anything, he will just wait.  BUT when he wants to come in, he lets himself inside :o  I have a patio door and the lever type handles so he's figured out how to open them!

I have a dog flap in the back door which lets them out 24/7 to a fully enclosed 150ft back garden. . . 

However

Both Darwin and Daughtry will woooo and Blah, Blah at me when they feel it's time for walkies. . . lol

Ghost rings bells that I have hanging on the back door when she wants to go out... as far as coming back in, no, because she's never outside off-leash (the plan is to fence in the back yard next spring, and then maybe she'll spend some time out there without us).

Yep...mine asks to go outside. Usually he sits down, wags his tail, and barks at me. But sometimes he woos at me. Depending on how loud his barks are, or how insistent his wooing is, I know how serious the situation is. (Is he just asking to go out for the sake of it, or does he have to go potty?).

When he has to do a number two, he usually headbutts me, sits down, then wags his tail. 

I guess our two are different.  They both tell me it's time to go out.  They are very demanding.  When it comes to wanting back in, now they will ask.  Well Eisa will.  Zoya just sits by the back door.

Both my boys will come and stare at me if they need to go out... They will even move into my line of sight (usually blocking the tv!) if they know I'm not looking lol.

On the extremely rare occasion one of them needs to go out during the night they will whine to wake me up.

Sometimes I can tell when Chula wants to go out because she starts doing slow, walking laps around the house and usually she wants to be in the same room as us - so if I notice her doing her laps I will get up and see if she wants out. I wish she would tell me though because I can't see the backdoor from any room in the house but the kitchen/dining area. I suppose I could train her to ring a bell or something, but then she'd be ringing it all the time.