Got A Job Offer

Jay

Well I had a second interview at a lawfirm today and was offered the job! I still have to think about it as the only thing that worries me is the commute. It's in downtown Chicago and would take over an hour each way so I wouldn't be home for lunch with the dogs and would have less time with them as I would be gone 60 hrs a week instead of 40. It does pay about 4k more a year and they pay for all benefits.

Decisions decisions!!!

Ok, decisions are hard..  so lets list:

a. will there be some one there when your not.

b. How much is this benefit money wise

c. how much does this offer you in your career projection

d. How much will you miss them in comparison to the above

Sorry just noticed you are from the USA benefits means health care? so b still applies

Any way dis regarding the above well done X

If you have to drive more, will the gasoline costs eat up the difference in salary? Gas is expensive!! But congratulations on being awesome!

You think its expensive there... Try buying it here LOL

I am thinking that it's too good to pass up.

So it's $4,000 more than I make, and in 6 months my salary goes up another $2,000 and that amount each year (right now our firm froze salaries and it's possible the firm may close if business does not pick up).

They pay for ALL health, dental, viision and life insurance premiums (I currently pay between $200-250 a month)

2 weeks vacation, 6 sick days and 9 holidays a year. (right now I get PTO time to use how I want - 15 days, which will go up to 20 next year, and 8 holidays)

Annual bonuses based on the firm's income (not where I am at!)

The work hours are 9-5 with a paid lunch (I work 8-5 with no paid lunch or breaks)

The only downside is the commute.  If I drive, it is about 45 miles away, but in rush hour this morning it took me an hour and a half.  AND it costs a min. of $15 a day to park downtown!  I can take the train, which is about 15 miles away, but in a very shady city (Gary, IN - google it!), and it is $175 a month for a train pass.

So I would  have to leave at about 7am, and I would be getting home close to 7pm.  RIght now I leave at 7:30 and get home at 5:15.  There is someone here to let the dogs out for lunch so that's not an issue.  But if emergencies happen it may be difficult.

I am leaning towards taking it though.  I told them I would give them an answer Monday morning!

Yeah, my actual working time is only going to be 35 hours a week, but I would be gone from home about 60 hours :o  I need to move!

60 hours a week! :o wow

Congrats on the offer though that's great!  Only you can decide about it though - can you get someone in to let the dogs out?

well.....tthat is indeed a though descision to make...and I would not look at this mainly monetary wise (which is a bonus do not get me wrong) but will you be happier?? is the company healthier then your current one, you are saying that it could close down if business does not pick up?... just look at the inner you forget the money and travel are you gonna be happier??

If you look purely at the finances, it looks like your in the plus column even without the extra 4k a year, the job itself is more secure and your salary will improve.

You haven't mentioned moving house, ( American geography = fuzzy, but pretty sure Chicago is in Illinois) can you find a suitable place for your furbabies there ? Or is it the commute from home to there that's the problem. Is there a friend or dog sitter that can `do lunch` with them ?

If you take the job, they are lucky to have you. If you don't, it's because your old company will fall apart without you, because you are awesome, and my ( currently) 12 dogs agree !

If you take the job you will make more money,  Do you have a Dog walker or similar that you could use to walk the dogs in the afternoon.. and maybe be an emergency contact? 

You could set up one of these web cam things that some people have on here so you can still see them. 

Because I'm paranoid I installed ADT Fire and security alarm..  If there is a fire they call the fire brigade  then call you or a nominated person.  So the response is faster than a neighbour noticing or passer by.

60 hours is a lot of time so maybe a move would solve the issue?  Also if the firm you are with is looking a little shaky it may be wise to take this job so you feel more secure financially.. 

Hard choice but I'm sure it will work out what ever you decide.

Another way you could go is not take the job but hold out till something nearer comes up...

Hard choice.  Good luck...

I don't think the dogs routine will be affected.  There is someone here to come home at lunch and will be home at 4pm for their dinner.  I will still be able to feed and walk them in the morning, and I have the weekends too.

This job is more stable than my current one, as we have had several cutbacks and more are probably to come, not to mention our salaries are frozen.  This new job will give me a lot more law experience which is good. 

So, I have decided to accept the position, and as long as my references check out I will be starting on October 8th!  I will be turning in my resignation Monday afternoon.  I am very excited (not excited about the commute!).

But even if it's for a couple of years it would be great experience.  And next year maybe I will consider moving closer