Floppy Ears And Dew Claws

JewelandLoki

I have a 9 week old husky and his ears are still super floppy. He should be pure breed so I am pretty worried. Should I tape them? If so how? He also has his front dew claws and they seem pretty well attached so I dont know if they should be removed. I plan on scootering with him but they really hurt when hes scratching or just trying to crawl over me.

His ears will prick up! Mine had floppy ears as a puppy too and they do eventually prick up naturally. That being said DO NOT mess with his ears during this stage as it could actually damage them and they could stay floppy.

If you're looking for dew claw removal at this age he'll need anesthesia so it's best to wait till 6 months or older when you get your dog neutered (presuming, it's up to you!) and have it done at the same time.

Some ears go up later than others, they should prick up naturally so like already mentioned it's best just to leave them be.

I've never heard of removing a dogs front dew claws for anything other than a medical reason. So can't really help there.

As the above, rear dew claws are normally removed especially if you want them to run / scooter etc (need to be a min of 1 year moving up to 18 months before starting this though) the front ones you won't have much problems with if any.  You can take the sharp end off but be careful about cutting the kwik or it'll bleed - this diagram will help :)

nailTrimDiagram.png

We were advised not to remove the dew claws front or back unless required for medical reasons...  I would advise clipping the dew claws when they become long as they do not wear like the paw claws..  and can get caught.  If your not sure how clip ask your vet to show you.. Personally I hate doing it so when we have our 3 month check I ask them to do it.   always scared I'm going to clip to close and hurt them ..

As for the floppy ears I would leave well alone as advised above.   If you are worried speak to your vet..

Would love to see some pics :D He looks very cute in the profile pic.

Lobo had one floppy ear until he was probably 5 months old.  One day, it just stood up on its own and has been that way ever since.  I think it's common in puppies, it will correct itself. 

As far as dew claws, I am not sure why they would need to be removed.  Just keep the nails clipped and I don't think it will be a problem.

Dew Claws great advice above.

Ears Please don'r worry they will perk up. and within a few months move onto the "Bat eared" stage where the ears are Massive in comparison to the head. .. so cute.

Like others said, the ears will stand up, it just takes time so that's completely normal.

And I agree, the front dew claws should not be an issue, but wait if you want to get them removed.  The rear ones are usually removed early on, and all of mine have their front dew claws and except for Nikko ripping his off, I haven't had any issues.