Unexpected 'scraps' Eski / Chester

Maz51

Hi all

It's a week +1 day since Eski joined our home. Company for Chester as pining and 'SAD' after my two Westies passed in Feb/June & wirh whom he grew up (three WHW in total - third was re homed because he kept on teasing her after she had both eyes out following dry-eye syndrome and ulceration (£2.8K later off my pension lump sum - rescued...) - she's very settled with new playmate elsewhere near).

I expected niggles and petty arguments... & got them!

Eski's change of circumstances :

[sorry it's long but necessary so you hv all info...]

1. Started with pensioner lady & three other dogs (I presume as a pup) 2011 ?May

2. Pensioner goes into hosp May/June 2013.

3. Dogs split between family members - Eski to grand-daughter Beth with three yr old daughter Ava. (Partner split recently.)

Settled in well. Solo dog. Taken out for walks by a walker as Beth works in family business all day. First dog for Beth.

4. Pensioner 'passes' following postop complications. Eski stays on however,.....

5. Beth unhappy that Eski so much on her own - no serious issues but some chewing (incl new bed b4 she came to me!)

6. Beth advertises to re-home on 'Pre-loved' site.

7. Accepts my application and my background out of many - we talk and text a lot.

Beth says yes but Eski then in season (July) and needs to be spayed as per rules on site;

Op appt fixed three weeks post spay :- Aug 29. Fee agreed re Eski @ £150.

8. Beth to bring Eski to me Sep 12 (and to check me out and home).

9. Chester booked to be neutered Sep 15th - his sex drive far too much for Eski -> scraps; yes mounting is part dominance but he was due anyway...just brought forward a couple of weeks!

Now ... I've muzzled dogs, or Eski has worn her head Cone - over decreasing periods and one was crated if we both had to go out - tested...short periods whilst at home first...Eski is much better - quiet and settled altho Chester improving up to 2+ hours before whining.

She's healed up well post spay...although found in first check-over (on same day Chester in for 'snip') at my vet's with 'wet eczema' - treated there and then Rx'd (prescriptioned) with meds/ointment.

There are FAR less possessive issues from her now.

Or dominance over who goes through dog flap.

I have been encouraging and reassuring her (and Chester) that both are loved and wanted.

+ve rewards & training started with her - continuing with him.

Chester has regained being able to go back into his crate - in fact they've both lain curled in there briefly together now but one usually comes out to lie on tiled floor as cooler!

I have separate rug/towels for a 'bed' area beside crate.

Hall/bungalow too small to accommodate another XL crate! But BIG garden!

They play well together but have to be forced to 'rest' (one into crate) as Chester in first (now second) week postop.

■ We have had four pretty serious scraps out of the blue...outside in the garden & one inside.

It stops when either of us get there shouting STOP!/NO!

Eski very submissive. No further bites found (first time C's ear small puncture (on pre-op day) although I suspect tongues bitten as faint smear of blood on front leg (both).

Both checked over minutely but ok.

ANY suggestions?.....

I have invested in another muzzle for Eski - both wear them in turns but both into one after scraps.

Chester more so as he's been over-licking his wound!

Will have to muzzle them when I go out..cannot feel happy if I don't.

They have 24 hr access to garden and water bowls and can drink, sunbathe, play incl with *** rope toys, Bad Cuz toys, balls, tyre on rope, and run around 75' x 35' garden.

I will lift these *** when we go out.

HELP!

Thanks.

Maybe time will help...Chester seeking closeness with me a bit more - reassured ++.

Evening walkies 1.5 mile - I struggle with more at present however improving.

Missed a couple of evenings when my neck hurts however they've been running around most of day playing ... chasing thrown balls, toys etc.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

sounds to me as that they are both finding their place in the pack...we still have scraps every now and then and they have been together for a while now...

as you say they have only been together for a little while, just over a week, imo they do need a while longer to get to know eachother a wee bit better and scraps are all part of the process...

I am moving your thread to: training & behaviour

Ahh...Thanks Robke ..I did think this..they're teenagers after all and hormones AWAL & Changing!! Lol.

Reassured...?

I'll keep muzzling alternatively...it felt yesterday's scrap was more intense and Chester's voice was of hurt and exasperation. He's the heavier but not naturally aggressive and I think he wants to insist he's boss as here first! Otherwise pretty sweet on kisses to Eski...I guess she's struggling the harder in accepting bottom dog in pack....

Bella and Noah never fight aggressively.. they play fight a lot but they have been together since birth so maybe that's why..   Sorry I'm not sure how to advise on new dog-established dog...

Noah has had a few angry moments with other dogs but this has only been low key, I just say enough and walk him away..

Asher who comes to stay with us and Noah had a little to do over who was going to sit on the sofa once and I stupidly put my hand in the way and got bit on my finger.  They stopped immediately and both looked sheepish..

Lol Nobel 48...my worst bite was from C after a fight over a bone that was Wesley's..

C was 8 mths.

I grabbed Wes (15 yr old Westie) ...he turned and bit me (!) and C got back of my hand ...following Wesley !

Three days in hospital -> theatre for open clean out wound, triple IV antibiotics. Healed fast... stitches out three days early.

post-12296-14112950918289_thumb.jpg

?

When Echo Launches into Darwin she's usually trying to be protective

of us Humans, or. . . is jealous of the attention that we are giving to Darwin.

We can usually see the look she gets in her eyes just before she launches,

and can warn her off. 

Almost always she's guarding us, not food or toys.

• 1 month later...

Five weeks with Eski now and all is calm and bloody canoodling kissing chewing licking rough play pulling jaws or fur playing bloody teenagers in my two! Lol

Eski has settled..Chester is more assured in his place as more dominant but she is the wily flirty little tart who eggs him on...Both are knackered out in the day.

Her coat is improving. Much weight to gain..at least 12 kg...too light and as I'm on the mend I can restart soon more walking out on leads and training.

It's been six weeks of crap... health ..extreme tiredness, (wading through treacle!) hospital emergencies and tests...probably now reckoned to over donating blood sessions every 16 weeks over past 18 months - my replacement storage system has not been sustained so run right down......

Coeliac test results awaiting but hopefully unlikely.

Dual scopes NAD!

Now on iron tabs x 3 a day and already energised!

No further blood donations for another three months and I'll stick to 32 weeks now.

Looking forward to some serious fun times with my loving cuddly furkids...

My Eski after nearly 8 weeks with us...her coat is much thinned out from very old under fur that also wasn't too clean. The regular grooming has definitely helped to bring a cleaner softness in feel.

I'm loathe to bathe her as she has a history of wet exzema...but can anyone suggest how to rid her of the 'yeasty' smell in her coat?

1. Eski today..and looking like she's gained some weight.

2. A right looking pair...

3. Aww ..all lovey-dovey....

c6d225f3a81cad14069fb71a023c25c7.jpge3daea07dbca4b9d189cb07ddbf6a3e0.jpgacf6aae4fa404e62bd3931ce5ddd55f9.jpg

Excited..just ordered Eski's harness in purple plus blue & purple double D collars today.

My wish list is :

Two dog gang-line : 'Y' in blue/purple with the tail in hivis yellow

One neck line in hivis yellow

Two team collars...(hopefully blue & purple)

Engraved dog tags to fit onto collars in silver for each unless I go for gold...

I have my Tug N Tow pics also here... it's a return coil spring so the line doesn't hit the floor...let's you watch the scenery and dogs...not the line. About $67 US - I ordered it online and had it sent to my brother in Fort Lauderdale who paid for it on delivery... before coming over n his visit in October ...and then he gave it to me as a birthday treat!

I think they'll make a lovely running pair...

The walking out has been good when they're coupled..

I reckon the neck line will help them pace better together...

Eski's turning better now on Gee & Yaw spins indoors......and coming close to 'sit' by my side..

she's keen to learn and with both of us having been a bit under the weather......we are now getting stronger but more importantly more comfortable with each other...?

815e9ca0f69da01d9c3a46675316e703.jpg74b76fb9e4bfe7160e415703fc41b27e.jpg13fb6b79b007859af8e83a0b87b69894.jpg742260664a1354662621877de73d3e31.jpgc4f0d37e0dfaf28770cb20c1e5e4ac29.jpgdb00d8505cb439b5b4fa6b75037ccb53.jpg8c9720e9a1d6a03a6b70d2822638362d.jpg

Umm...didn't know they did one for dogs! I'll look around...otherwise the mobile dog shampoo van...we do have quite a good one round here. I don't want her frightened so will see what's on.. Thank you!

Of course the next thing is a trike rig!!

Hopefully with my 5 night stay in hospital my 'Simply Health' cover (formerly HSA) pays out £70 per night...THAT will do nicely towards a rig..

We pay about £38 pcm towards dental, specs, opthalmics, investigations, chiropody. We get back half of anything paid out eg..dental checkup is £28 so once form is sent with invoice paid...we get £14 back usually within two weeks.