Running With Huskies

Jeremy Dalton

My Alaskan Husky puppy scarlet is 17 weeks old. I'm a runner and she loves running with me. A couple times we went as far as 3 miles (always on trails, never on pavement). I would stop to see if she needs a break and she'd literally look at me like "come on man, you're holding me back, let's go." which I think is hilarious. I have learned however that as much as huskies live to run, I shouldn't let her run very far as it can cause issues with her growth plates, and/or hip or elbow dysplasia. Could someone give me some guidance on this as the last thing I want to do is hurt her. Her parent's were all sled dogs and I know that she'll go crazy if I don't take her out for some amount of runs. But I wasn't her to grow up to be a healthy dog without problems. ?

Mine is 21weeks now and i think she would love to run too... I am not a runner although i enjoy high pace walking with her. So i am going to hijack (sorry) your thread and ask, how about walking? How far can they walk at this age without risk of growth damage? I read about the 5mins per month rule but i dont think a husky puppy will be happy with this rule ;-)

For now we do a lot of dog park (3-4times a week) plus morning/afternoon/evening walk, around 30-45 mins, low pace walks. Once a while i walk her alone then we walk very fast and the faster we go the happier she is.. :-)

Any advise appreciated..

Please just take it easy.

If you over work the pup at a young age it can damage the joints and tendons.

However this won't become apparent until years later when the dog develops hip and joint problems much earlier than you would normally expect.

Of course the pup is urging you on for more, you have to be the physical and moral compass that holds them back

until they are physically ready for that level of exercise.

I am holding her back now and no longer taking her on those long runs. And I know that at 12-18 months I can start taking her on more serious runs carefully increasing her distance. But what I'm really wondering about here is what is she able to do now at 17 weeks. Obviously I now realize that I can't take her on any more 3 mile, or even 1 mile runs, but what is appropriate? Can she do 1/2 or even 1/4 mile? I just know that if I keep her penned up in my yard, she'll go nuts, not mention become a fat puppy.

1 mile at her age is fine.

Try to wear her out with mental stimulation too

teaching obedience and tricks.

Give her an empty coke bottle with treats in.

get a kong and fill it. or puzzle balls.

you can also do mental training with commands and teaching tricks will also tire them out and not make them fat :D

Darn it Rob you beat me to it again. . . lol

1 mile at her age is fine.

Try to wear her out with mental stimulation too

teaching obedience and tricks.

Give her an empty coke bottle with treats in.

get a kong and fill it. or puzzle balls.

Darn it Rob you beat me to it again. . . lol

Sorry Andy...:D