Quiet Puppy Suspicious Puppy

MollyCharly

Sunny afternoon here so i let the dogs in the back yard, went upstair to do some housework and was surprised not hearing Molly harrasing Charly. Checked on her through the window saw her sitting on the lawn. Good puppy.

Came down Charly already back in resuming his sleep. Molly still 'sitting' on the lawn.. 10mins later, this cant be right, went to have a look..

post-12049-0-19957600-1411484635_thumb.j

If they are quiet and not asleep then they are up to something mischevious.

Same applies to my 2 year old Granddaughter Eden-Willow.

I wonder if any of you have photos of area in the garden where you allow your dogs to dig? Don't they get muddy/sandy paws and then bring the dirt home?

Trying to get some ideas.. thanks!

I used to have that kind of spot, until one day the dog decided digging isn't fun anymore. Then we eliminate the digging spot by planting a bunch of nice plants there. You can't see it anymore now.

But this is what Dime's digging spot used to look like: *very* sandy. It kinda looks like a shrunken version of the sandbox you can find in children's playgrounds, with way more sand. It actually looks a bit like a sandy hill now that I think about it. The dog did bring sand inside, which is why he's not allowed out when it's raining. For the dry sandy paw prints on hot, sunny days we simply mop them with a shrug.

this is exactly what I fear. if I set up a digging area, but Molly doesn't find it 'fun' to dig there, as the lawn is a lot softer.. and what's banned is normally more tempting to do lol..

we let our dogs in the back yard a few times a day if they need to pee or poo outside the regular walk. So it is a bit difficult to deny this access.

The back part of our garden is clay soil, there are tree but the surface is without plant and I've meant to put some ground covering plants there, or it could be a good spot for digging fun too, except it is rock hard and I don't think it will be interesting, unless i make a sandbox like suggested..

You can always put up an impromptu, short fence around the designated digging spot. They'd have no choice then :shrug: oh and when I say "one day the dog decided digging isn't fun anymore", I mean he literally found digging isn't fun anymore. He completely stopped digging. I thought I'm gonna do a happy dance, but I raised my eyebrow more than other things when I first found out he's stopped using his digging spot.

Oh and I know this might sound like the worst idea ever, but we let Dime pick his own digging spot. We never built it for him, he chose one spot that he destroys most and we just leave it that way for him. If he digs in other spots we fix it up. After a while he apparently finds that his masterpiece of landscaping would always be ruined if he does it in places other than "his spot". But yeah, like I said, this idea has a big chance to backfire. The dog might be greedy enough, or persistent enough, to level your whole garden every single time. Hence the short fence suggestion.

They used to Dig like mad every where.   I found putting a fairly large container with water in it stopped a lot of the digging... Noah loves it, he digs away in it and has loads of fun.   Also cleans him up (unless he runs back into the garden)... em suddenly not sounding such a good idea. :D

lucky for you that your dogs no longer like digging, or digging less now. unfortunately the favourite spot right now is on the lawn.. so we cant allow that. I'll need to fill it up and get some grass seed.

i am still thinking about what to do, apparently i cant let her out unsupervised anymore. she just revisited the crime scene again today lol. this is after a bus trip to the city and back, i thought this extra stimulant (people, noises, scents at the market square) afternoon walk would have tired her out.

thanks again for your comments and ideas.

what you can do, and this does work, is in the hole that has been dug put the dogs poo in it and cover up...she will not dig there...

other thing you can do is get a kids sand pit with soft sand and there she is allowed to dig...

Thanks Robke. I might end up with another problem ie poo eating dog lol. Charly used to eat other dog's produce, sometimes 'fresh from the oven'.. Luckily it was random thing and not too often anymore.

I probably will try the sandpit option.

Here is a photo I found from internet, hopefully it won't happen here in our backyard lol

post-12049-0-01810700-1411594924_thumb.j

Our land is infested with wildlife, mice, moles etc.  The new dog run is a safe place for them to run around off lead but I find myself constantly saying 'Snow stop digging'.  He clearly finds the scent of one of the furry creatures then sets about trying to dig it up.  We spent quite a while filling in the holes, hubby says we should just leave them but I worry someone, including the dogs could twist an ankle running around in there, plus when it comes to cutting the grass it will be impossible with huge craters everywhere.

Hadn't thought about the poo in the hole trick, may give that a whirl :)