Hello From North East England

HuskyLucy

Hi, After a lot of research and a lot of waiting ive recently acquired a beautiful sandy white husky pup. We named her Lucy. After going on our first walk and getting absolutely loads of comments I started to look online at other husky pups and I saw many differences. 

I joined here to hopefully learn more and gain a better understanding of the breed and hopefully provide the best I can for Lucy. I am a very energetic person and walk/run miles a day so I know all about the basics that are needed and did my research before hand. 

I did originally want a pure breed husky however when I saw a picture of lucy online for sale I just couldnt resist. She didnt come with any papers but we were assured she was pure breed. 

She is now around 10-13 weeks old and she seems to have a thin tail and not much fur from what ive seen. Im wondering maybe its just because of the time she was born she wont be getting a winter coat this winter or something?

Should i expect her to be thin coated for life or is it likely she will get fluffier and a more brush like tail as she ages? 

Ive put a few pictures of Lucy on here all opinions are welcome and i hope to learn a lot from you all.

post-12368-0-43263400-1411485167_thumb.j

post-12368-0-94287100-1411485301_thumb.j

post-12368-0-63727500-1411485308_thumb.j

post-12368-0-05842500-1411485313_thumb.j

post-12368-0-18461000-1411485319_thumb.j

post-12368-0-90711700-1411485326_thumb.j

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the pack , it's hard to tell but she does look pure to me my boy had a little skinny tail when he was young too

As u can see here

4bc7e0579991931546f22bfc64583827.jpg

0f32b12d71f278769bd41535b97e1343.jpg now it's nice and bushy :-)

6a6f78d2b2bf88ee15ae194e9cd061f5.jpg

She looks to be a light red husky too , not many people know about red huskies because they aren't often used in films so people think they only come in black and grey

thanks for your replies, what do you mean by a red husky? ive seen pictures of red huskies but she is very light yellow you mean she may go a darker red? 

Also Skyla your pups build looks remarkably similar to Lucy, would you mind uploading a pic of her now and or stages of age if shes a lot older? id like an idea of what to expect as Lucy ages.

Edit: nvm the older pic didnt load at first :) see it now, I cant wait for Lucy to grow :)

Thanks

thanks for your replies, what do you mean by a red husky? ive seen pictures of red huskies but she is very light yellow you mean she may go a darker red?

Also Skyla your pups build looks remarkably similar to Lucy, would you mind uploading a pic of her now and or stages of age if shes a lot older? id like an idea of what to expect as Lucy ages.

Edit: nvm the older pic didnt load at first :) see it now, I cant wait for Lucy to grow :)

Thanks

Red can have very different shades from a really light yellow colour, to orange to a dark chocolate colour , this is my boys dad who is a very dark red

2fdd01c5a014b49a0a96a51541b00df8.jpg

And this is my girls mum who is a light red which looks similar to your girls colour

31ef62573f08fd939b3b12998abbc59e.jpg

Wow thanks, That colour looks exactly like Lucy. Never considered it to be a shade of red before. Feel even more proud to be her owner now, if its even possible to be more proud :)

How old is your girls mum in that photo?

I'm not sure sorry , it was before skyla was born tho so she's got to have been older than 2 at the time

Ah right thanks, im just trying to get an idea of when Lucy may be fully grown :)

They're usually close to fully grow around 8 months to a year old , tho can have a bit of a growth spurt afterwards , females tend to be around 19-21 inches tall at the withers/shoulders when fully grown tho soon can be taller , my girl is 24 inches lol

Thanks guys, just wondering do you all bath your huskies often? Ive just took lucy for a 3 mile walk and its been raining so she is black I cant tell if i seem to be bathing her too much as this happens a lot. She absolutely hates the water unfortunately. 

Also do you guys think 3miles is too much? I asked the vet about over exercising a pup and she said that aslong as we arent going on strenuous runs there is never too much?  So far on average over the last 2 weeks since we got her on a lead for the first time ive been walking her about 6-8 miles a day. 

we wash ours about once every 2 years LOL and yes they get dirty but clean themselves only when mud sticks we wash/ shower...

walking I think you are seriously over doing it at this moment there is a 5 min per month rule..but there are peeps who have had pups can tell you about this much better...